Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me on deciding which courses to take..
I got an unofficial evaluation from EC today and this is what I have to take in Arts & Science.

------------------------------------------------

Arts & Sciences Component
You need 57.00 credits in the Arts and Sciences to include:
- 3.00 credits in Written English
- 7.00 credits in Humanities
- 2.00 credits in Ethics
- 9.00 credits in Social Sciences/History
- 9.00 credits in Natural Sciences/Math to include:
- 3.00 credits in Discrete Mathematics and You need to complete 1 Mathematics course from the following list:

- Calculus I
- Statistics and Probability
- Quantitative Methods
- Finite Mathematics
- Mathematical Logic
-----------------------------------------------------

I will be enrolling in BIS but before that I plan on taking CLEP/Dantes courses.

I just registered with IC and planning to take below courses which statisfies 27 credits (30 still remains).

Could you please guide me on which other courses I can take & from where to complete 57 credits in Arts & Science.

CLEP
-----
Humanities
---------
1) Humanities(General) --> 6

Natural Sciences/Math
---------------------
1) College Mathematics --> 6

Social Sciences/History
------------------------

1) American Government -- > 3
2) Introductory Sociology -->3
3) Introductory Psychology -->3

Dantes
-----

Humanities
---------

1) Ethics in America --> 3

Natural Sciences/Math
---------------------
1) Statistics principles -->3
For the mathematical logic requirement, BYU do two logic courses; one is listed by EC under their courses. Looking at the syllabi, the first is an introduction to propositional logic and covers a bit of predicate logic. The second course deals specifically with predicate logic and includes a proof of Godel's incompleteness theorem.

The first is really a prerequisite for the second if you don't have any background in these, so check with your adviser if you can just take the first or need the second.

Since you only need to take one of those courses listed, depending on your background you might find either of calculus or stats easier. In addition to the CLEP calculus, there is also a Uexcel (EC) exam in calculus. Three statistics (intro, for business, for behavioural sciences) courses are offered through ALEKS -> ACE and EC accept these and this will probably be the cheapest option at $20/month. You might also be able to do the precalculus course to satisfy this requirement. There is also a stats course available through Straighterline.

Good luck!
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]
Thanks irnbru !!

Appreciate it, I will check with Advisor ones I enroll.

In the mean time I will work on getting some credits from CLEP.
Welcome to the forum!

I second the ALEKS suggestion for 9 credits in Math (below Calculus) and 3 credits in Statistics. (This replaces College Math CLEP, too.)

Have you taken the Analyzing & Interpreting Literature CLEP already? It is 6 credits in humanities and a favorite on the forum.

Have you taken the Social Science & History CLEP, Natural Science, Biology, or other 2 Literature CLEPs already? They are 6 credits also.

Look into the UExcel exam or Straighterline for the Written English Requirement.

Keep picking from the CLEP and DSST List in EC’s Student Guide to Credit by Exam. There are a lot of options.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Thanks NAP !!

I am still gathering all the info. I haven't given any CLEP/DSST exams yet.

In your opinion where do I begin with? I mean which are the easiest exams that will boot my morale?

My goal is to complete the degree in next 6 months.

I have joined IC and found some CLEP/DSST courses. Is it enough going thru flash cards and then appear for exams?

I can dedicate 2 hours a day for study since I have full time job too.

I do have few Microsoft & Oracle Certification, I guess they give credit for these certifications too. Looking at their Student guide I can get upto 12-16 Credits for those certification. Do they apply these credits towards Arts & Science or as electives?

Would greatly appreciate your inputs.
Any of the IT-related exams will be a piece of cake for you, so start there if you are looking for especially easy ones.
Credits for IT certifications aren't Liberal Arts credits. In non-IT degrees they would fall under General Electives.
The computing certificates will count as Applied Professional (free electives), not Arts & Sciences. Is there a possibility that they would count toward your major?

I’m not familiar with your degree program. Do you need any depths or upper-level credits? Or can you just choose anything for the Arts & Sciences credits?

For me, it has been the most helpful to study for exams that fit my interests. I have also noticed that keeping the hardest exams for last is not a good idea.

Looking through the Official CLEP Study Guide and the DSST Fact Sheets has helped me find exams, like American Government, that I wouldn’t have chosen without more information.

In advanced search, search “easiest” in thread titles. Some people are able to study for some of the exams with just the flashcards. I tend to study for a long time with a lot of resources. I like to use the materials recommended in the Specific Exam Feedback section of the forum.

Also, in advanced search, search “grouping” in thread titles. It helps to group similar tests together, like taking Social Science & History CLEP after taking some of the related exams. If you like science, I think it would be better to take Biology (one topic) first and then study and take Natural Science (many topics).

There are at least nine 6 credit CLEP exams. Take advantage of those as best as you can. I have taken Chemistry, Biology, Natural Science, A&I Lit, and College Math so far. I have also taken some 3 credit exams in history. You can read my feedback here:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post52148

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post75628

A&I Lit CLEP is a reading comprehension exam. (My feedback is in link above.) That could be a good place to start while you are getting your study plan organized.

Ruddigore has taken a lot of different exams than the ones I have. He compiled his feedback here:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post80915

That’s all that I can think of for now. Keep reading the forum; there is a lot of information available.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Thanks again for all your valuable inputs that helps me a lot.

BTW, I am going for BSIT. Will my certifications go towards free electives or Arts & Science.
No, the computing certificates will not count as Arts & Sciences. (Arts & Sciences means Humanities, Social Science, History, Natural Science, and Math.) You should check with EC to see if they will count towards any of your IT requirements. If not, they should count toward the 14 credits of Free Electives that you are allowed.

By the way, when you decide, I would like to know where you are getting the Discrete Math credit.

Please keep us updated on your progress.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Looks like the least costly place for Discrete Math is The Game Institute.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,443 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,089 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,078 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,731 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,231 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,731 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,541 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,791 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Excelsior Ethics courses radconjohn 10 3,000 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help Choosing Final Accounting Courses AMRH94 10 2,848 05-10-2018, 07:42 AM
Last Post: AMRH94