Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me understand this transfer policy
I was looking over Eastern Carolina University's transfer policy and I can not find a stated limit on transfer credits.  However I did find their minimum requirements for their bachelor's degree programs and it reads like this:

"ECU’s baccalaureate degree requirements state that: (a) A minimum of 25% of the credit hours required for the degree and at least 50% of the total hours required in the major must be completed at ECU, and (b) A minimum of 50% of the semester hours required in the student’s major must be earned through enrollment in a regionally accredited senior college."  I'm not understanding the difference between (b) and the latter part of (a).  

In particular I'm looking at their online BS in Communication - Interpersonal/Organizational Communication and that degree breakdown is:
1. General education requirements - 40 s.h.
[b]2. Demonstrated foreign language proficiency through level 1002 - 6 s.h.[/b]
[b][b]3. Core - 6 s.h.
[/b][/b]
  • COMM 1001 - Introduction to Communication
  • COMM 1003 - Introduction to Mass Media
4. Concentration area - 33-34 s.h.
[b]5. Minor or structured electives to complete requirements for graduation. [/b](what does structured electives mean?)

The way I understand (a) is that at least 25% of the degree (30 credits) is their residency requirement and 50%  of the hours in the major (in this case 50% of the core + concentration 40 credits = 20 credits) must be completed at ECU. But since ECU is a "regionally accredited senior college" doesn't that by default fulfill the (b) requirement?
I guess I'm trying to figure out if one completes the 33-34 credits of the concentration area at ECU can the rest be transferred in from comm college (and CLEP/DSST)?
So it looks like they are also limiting the number of CC credits they will take. 50% of the major must be done at a 4-yr school, and 50% of that must be done at ECU. So you can't take all of your major courses at a CC.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa, magflo
(12-10-2018, 10:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So it looks like they are also limiting the number of CC credits they will take.  50% of the major must be done at a 4-yr school, and 50% of that must be done at ECU.  So you can't take all of your major courses at a CC.

So do you define the major as the 6 Core credits plus the 34 Concentration area credits? If so, then 50% of those 40 credits (20 credits) must be done at a 4 year school and since a minimum of 30 credits must be done at ECU, if one plans to complete the entire 34 credits of the concentration area at ECU doesn't that simultaneously fulfill those two requirements?  And then presumably the rest can be transferred in from comm college (and CLEP/DSST)? 
Still confused....
Agreed. To me it reads as follows:
  • You must take at least 30 sh from ECU for residency
  • All your major courses (40 sh – assuming this means core and concentration area) must either be taken from a 4-year college/university or ECU, but at least 50% of them (20 sh) must be taken at ECU. These courses can be part of the 30 sh required for residency.
  • The rest of your courses (90 sh) can be transferred in. However, if you're only transferring courses from CLEP/DSST and community college, then you can only transfer in 80 sh since you'll end up taking at least 40 sh from ECU to meet your major requirements.
You may also want to verify how many credits you can transfer in from CLEP/DSST. Most schools have a transfer limit for those exams that is different from the total amount allowed to be transferred in from other RA schools.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • magflo
(12-10-2018, 12:00 PM)magflo Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 10:42 AM)dfrecore Wrote: So it looks like they are also limiting the number of CC credits they will take.  50% of the major must be done at a 4-yr school, and 50% of that must be done at ECU.  So you can't take all of your major courses at a CC.

So do you define the major as the 6 Core credits plus the 34 Concentration area credits? If so, then 50% of those 40 credits (20 credits) must be done at a 4 year school and since a minimum of 30 credits must be done at ECU, if one plans to complete the entire 34 credits of the concentration area at ECU doesn't that simultaneously fulfill those two requirements?  And then presumably the rest can be transferred in from comm college (and CLEP/DSST)? 
Still confused....

It seems clear enough. You have to take 30 credits TOTAL from ECE. That could be 20 GenEd and 10 in the major, but then you'd need another 10 in the major from a 4 year school. If you take all 34 credits (or at least 30) of the Concentration at ECE, then you've covered both requirements.

EDIT: I think my reasoning above is faulty. Rereading, I now see the OPs problem. They seem to require half of the major to be 4 year AND half of the major to be ECE. I wonder if they meant to say the ALL of the major needs to be 4-year, and half of THAT ECE? I think you need to call and clarify.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • magflo
Here's their degree plan for NC comm college students transferring in to the University. There are only 30 credits where it says No Equivalent that must be taken at the university, it looks like everything else can possibly be filled from the comm college. https://registrar.ecu.edu/wp-content/pv-...O-2016.pdf
I think they are saying that 25% of the credits must come from ECU (residency requirement) and 50% of the major must come from a 4-yr school.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(12-10-2018, 06:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think they are saying that 25% of the credits must come from ECU (residency requirement) and 50% of the major must come from a 4-yr school.

But they also say "at least 50% of the total hours required in the major must be completed at ECU".

I'm reading that as essentially a dumbly written policy where part b adds no new information.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • magflo
(12-10-2018, 07:09 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 06:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I think they are saying that 25% of the credits must come from ECU (residency requirement) and 50% of the major must come from a 4-yr school.

But they also say "at least 50% of the total hours required in the major must be completed at ECU".

I'm reading that as essentially a dumbly written policy where part b adds no new information.

Yeah, it isn't well written. I think it means that all the credits in the major must come either from ECU, or another 4-year college, but at least 50% must be from ECU since it says AND and not OR. Otherwise, it would say 50% must come from any 4-year school, including ECU.

So 50% could come from ECU and 50% could come from other 4-year schools, but none of the courses in the major can come from a CC or CLEP/DSST.

The only way to know for sure is to contact the school and ask. There is too much open to interpretation.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(12-10-2018, 07:46 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(12-10-2018, 07:09 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Yeah, it isn't well written. I think it means that all the credits in the major must come either from ECU, or another 4-year college, but at least 50% must be from ECU since it says AND and not OR. Otherwise, it would say 50% must come from any 4-year school, including ECU.

So 50% could come from ECU and 50% could come from other 4-year schools, but none of the courses in the major can come from a CC or CLEP/DSST.

The only way to know for sure is to contact the school and ask. There is too much open to interpretation.
You could well be right. It would be rather humorous, as it would mean that their policy is telling students that they do not consider themselves a "regionally accredited senior college"
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 585 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 655 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  MyWay Transfer Update: Non-degree awarding course provider bjcheung77 10 1,714 11-15-2023, 12:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
Lightbulb College classes in high school, Transfer Policy? pilot 3 649 02-02-2023, 01:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Columbia College - Missouri, Second BA policy vintage_jacket 9 1,067 09-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Super cool transfer tool - Franklin University cookderosa 11 3,005 07-10-2022, 12:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Do Capstones Transfer? Insert Name 5 700 07-01-2022, 11:59 AM
  Transfer Credit Equivalency Alpha 1 645 05-12-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Do I have to Formally Enroll to Find Out What RA Credits Will Transfer? retro 8 959 04-13-2022, 01:24 PM