Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help on Sophia course
I'm new to this site, and I'm not really sure where to post my question. Here it is anyways. 
I have taken 4 courses at StraighterLine, and I know pretty well how to get through a course there. Now, since of the free Sophia courses(till the end of July), I'm taking my first course at Sophia which is Art History 1.
So, for those of you that have taken courses through Sophia, what was your experience like. What tips do you have with getting through a course in a timely manor? Do you take extensive notes? What are the milestones like? 
I just graduated last year from high school/home school, so I'm having to figure out how to learn in a higher education system. Any help/tips will be appreciated.
(04-19-2020, 11:23 AM)RizP Wrote: I'm new to this site, and I'm not really sure where to post my question. Here it is anyways. 
I have taken 4 courses at StraighterLine, and I know pretty well how to get through a course there. Now, since of the free Sophia courses(till the end of July), I'm taking my first course at Sophia which is Art History 1.
So, for those of you that have taken courses through Sophia, what was your experience like. What tips do you have with getting through a course in a timely manor? Do you take extensive notes? What are the milestones like? 
I just graduated last year from high school/home school, so I'm having to figure out how to learn in a higher education system. Any help/tips will be appreciated.

I kill trees. I print up the PDF for each chapter and write notes on them. These notes are more for clarification for me as my experience is that everything in the Challenges and Milestones comes from the lectures. (There is surely an easier way to download the notes and electronically add notes, but I don't know how to do that.)

I also copy and paste the Challenges to a Word document so I know where I need to study. (The Milestones and Challenges give you green checks when you answer correctly, and, if you answer incorrectly, green checks appear next to the correct answers, and  red "x's" next to incorrect answers.) The exams I've taken allow two hours for their completion. They're open book exams, so even with my compulsion to double-check EVERYTHING, I have enough time. (And don't get me started on how miffed I get with myself with I change a correct answer to an incorrect answers.) One course I took allowed two chances for each Challenge question, and the other allowed three chances for each Challenge. 

As you've probably already read, Challenge questions are weighed less heavily in your grade than Milestones. Oh, and I usually do the practice Milestones and copy and paste them to Word to help me study.

Good luck. If you can, please report back on the course. It's one I'm thinking of taking.
Hey, welcome aboard! Have a read of a couple of DegreeForum posts I did for studying and review of Sophia courses.
Steps: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid303815
Review: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid306526
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Here are some tips I've learned. On sophia courses, it says that it's open notes for milestones. And they let you link back to the tutorials for that. They give 'milestone tips" of do the practice milestones, have tutorials in another tab/window, and take your time (they give generous 120 minutes). This is similar in style to my community college online courses. That does not mean that you can skip the readings and expect to do milestone tests quickly and do well. But it does mean if you forget a detail you can check it out. Unlike others, I did not print out the pdf files. I used the assignment time to read the lesson and if there was a video, I'd watch it. I learn best hearing and seeing combined. Some of the courses had more than one video option, and I'd select as I went along. Some of them were harder to hear so I didn't use those. and to help learn the material, I would do all three questions on each "concept" even if I got the first one correct and could move on. (that might not make sense until you do a course. or if you have a course under the older format where you get 3 tries on the same question, instead of new format with 3 questions on same concept before moving on). A tip for the practice milestones is to treat those as your study guide. Definitely take the practices and use the links given as a hint to look up material. It becomes your study guide that way. The practices do not count for or against final grading. They are a study guide. Several of my online community college courses have similar approach where there are practice exams with the online text. Hope some of those tips help you with this style of course.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

1. Use a dual screen set up.
  2. Make a study schedule for the month, stick to it.
  3. Read, take notes in your own words, do practice milestones, do practice tests.
  4. Don't leave everything on the computer, print stuff out and write. Set study goals for the day, set study goals for the study session.
  5. For tests, do practice tests, remediate all questions including the stuff you know. Write why the write choices are correct and write a note saying why the wrong ones are wrong.Break up remediation into 3-4 days so you can do a good job.Retake the same practice test until you score 95% or better.
  6. Take the actual test, use the hints, your notes, sophia's notes (print them out), and remediated practice questions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,465 03-27-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 385 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,801 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,873 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,400 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 607 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,970 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 563 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,812 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares