Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help on a Doctorate in Psychology
I am looking to eventually work towards a doctorate in psychology and I was wondering is there a school that is self paced and is there any way I can speed up the journey?
johnjaxs Wrote:I am looking to eventually work towards a doctorate in psychology and I was wondering is there a school that is self paced and is there any way I can speed up the journey?

What are your goals? Licensure is usually the biggest issue with online programs related to providing patient services. If you do not need licensure, you have many more options available. Same goes with APA accreditation.
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
I would most likely try to get a license, as it would be a big career boost in the army.
APA accreditation is not required by most states, but regional accreditation is. I don't know about the military, but the federal government generally requires APA accreditation in order to work for them. Fielding Graduate University is the only APA-accredited distance learning program. The closest you're going to get to a self-paced, regionally accredited program is probably going to be at California Southern University and Northcentral University. They aren't fully self-paced, but they're more flexible than other programs. I don't think Northcentral's program is designed for licensure.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
sanantone Wrote:APA accreditation is not required by most states, but regional accreditation is. I don't know about the military, but the federal government generally requires APA accreditation in order to work for them. Fielding Graduate University is the only APA-accredited distance learning program. The closest you're going to get to a self-paced, regionally accredited program is probably going to be at California Southern University and Northcentral University. They aren't fully self-paced, but they're more flexible than other programs. I don't think Northcentral's program is designed for licensure.

At your best estimate how fast do you think I could get the program finished at those schools?

Also taken from the Army's website:
"Doctorate in clinical psychology or counseling psychology from an accredited program acceptable to the Surgeon General."
sanantone Wrote:APA accreditation is not required by most states, but regional accreditation is. I don't know about the military, but the federal government generally requires APA accreditation in order to work for them. Fielding Graduate University is the only APA-accredited distance learning program. The closest you're going to get to a self-paced, regionally accredited program is probably going to be at California Southern University and Northcentral University. They aren't fully self-paced, but they're more flexible than other programs. I don't think Northcentral's program is designed for licensure.
Sanantone, you drive me crazy on occasion, but your encyclopedic knowledge of programs and eagerness to help are just an incredible asset to this little community. I appreciate you! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Okay it may sound a little tricky, but is there any self paced Master Psychology (similar to WGU for MBA) programs that I can then transfer over to a Doctorate program?

Thinking that would at least be a way to knock out 2yrs faster.
Generic Steps for Certification (pdf)
http://www.abpp.org/files/page-specific/...cation.pdf

APPLICATION STEPS & GENERIC REQUIREMENTS
Eligibility for Specialty Certification
Application Steps & Generic Requirements - American Board of Professional Psychology

To attain board certification in a specialty, an applicant must meet the general and the specialty eligibility requirements which include:

A doctoral degree from a program in professional psychology which at the time the degree was granted was accredited by the APA, CPA,
or
was listed in the ... most recent directory of the
National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology,

The directory is here
All programs -- link All Approved Doctoral Programs Listed by Jurisdiction | National Register

ASPPB/NR Designated programs-- link Approved Programs with ASPPB/NR Designation Only | National Register
As of May 5, 2015, there are eighteen (18) programs that are ASPPB/NR Designated only. This means that these programs have been reviewed by the ASPPB/National Register Designation Committee and have been found to meet the Designation Criteria. These programs are not currently accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) but may apply for accreditation if they are eligible.

and here's how the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology defines a qualifying program

link Doctoral Programs | National Register

1) Programs that are accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA) or the Canadian Psychological Association (CPA)

or

2 through 11 -- which is pretty long - I'll just put 9 and 10 here

9) The program must include supervised practicum, internship, field or laboratory training appropriate to the practice of psychology.
10) The curriculum shall encompass a minimum of three academic years of full time graduate study and a minimum of one year's residency at the educational institution granting the doctoral degree. The core program shall require every student to demonstrate competence in each of the following substantive areas. This typically will be met through substantial instruction in each of these foundational areas, as demonstrated by a minimum of three graduate semester hours, five or more graduate quarter hours (when an academic term is other than a semester, credit hours will be evaluated on the basis of fifteen hours of classroom instruction per semester hour), or the equivalent:
a) scientific and professional ethics and standards;
b) research design and methodology;
c) statistics;
d) psychometric theory;
e) biological bases of behavior: physiological psychology, comparative psychology; neuropsychology, sensation and perception, and psychopharmacology;
f) cognitive-affective bases of behavior: learning, thinking, motivation, and emotion;
g) social bases of behavior: social psychology, group processes, organizational and systems theory; and
h) individual differences: personality theory, human development, and abnormal psychology.

Licensing Boards for each state / province -- you should always go there and check their education requirements
link Licensing Boards | National Register
johnjaxs Wrote:At your best estimate how fast do you think I could get the program finished at those schools?

Also taken from the Army's website:
"Doctorate in clinical psychology or counseling psychology from an accredited program acceptable to the Surgeon General."

I would get confirmation that you don't have to be licensed or license-able. Seems too easy. Psych is one of the fields that's a PITA when trying to do distance learning let alone faster and or cheaper, this field is generally MORE expansive and harder.
cookderosa Wrote:I would get confirmation that you don't have to be licensed or license-able. Seems too easy. Psych is one of the fields that's a PITA when trying to do distance learning let alone faster and or cheaper, this field is generally MORE expansive and harder.

I never said that I didn't have to be licensed and I stated that I would be pursuing a license. Plus the surgeon general would require a license to be practicing in the army. My comment above is to show that Sanantone is most likely correct in assuming that the program would most likely also have to be APA accredited.

Seems APA or CPA would be a must, guessing that leaves me with FGU as the only option anyway I want to thank all you who took their time to help me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Country Preview : Graduate/Doctorate Degrees in Malaysia bjcheung77 11 2,355 01-13-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Universidad Central De Nicaragua - Psychology bjcheung77 32 5,818 11-15-2023, 08:13 PM
  European Professional Doctorate Unlucky 33 3,688 10-01-2023, 04:37 AM
Last Post: Unlucky
  Fastest Least Expensive Masters in Psychology or Education dbwdb 21 3,661 09-09-2023, 09:39 PM
Last Post: ejones
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Titulo propio Master's in Psychology? basu888 10 1,587 05-13-2023, 01:29 PM
  Fastest / cheapest Psychology Master’s - FOR LICENSURE Ninjadude 9 1,893 03-15-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Ninjadude
  IBCLC to RA Doctorate inoele 19 2,018 01-24-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: rwhitestone
  Walden University MS-Psychology Tempo Learning Supermind 44 10,137 12-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Walden psychology ARV095 5 919 12-22-2022, 08:53 AM
Last Post: ARV095