Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help planning a TESU BSBA degree plan
Hi, I’m looking for a fast, cheap route to a BSBA. I had checked out COSC, but I’m wondering if TESU might be a better choice for me (partly because of COSC’s 30 UL credits minimum requirement). Would anyone mind proving some advice? 

I’m not too concerned about a concentration—whatever will be most efficient. General Mgmt., HR, and Marketing are more appealing to me than, say, Accounting or Finance (I’m not a “numbers person”). 

Really, I’m not even married to Business Administration; it just seemed like a feasible, relatively clear path to a obtaining a degree almost entirely through exams and other flexible, low-cost means of earning credit.

Below are the credits I have so far. My college credits were from ages ago. All were semester-based, 3 credits each, and As and Bs. I took the CLEPs and DSSTs recently, with a lot of help from IC flashcards and forum posts. 

Any thoughts or advice on a degree plan would be most appreciated! 

Community College (45 credits):  
BIOL-103 Environmental Science
BIOL-112 Intro to Biological Science
BUS-201 Business Law I
ENG-101 English Composition I
ENG-107 Creative Writing
GEOG-201 World Geography
POL-201 National Political System
POL-202 Politics of States & Cities
HIS-104 History of the United States II
HIS-201 Western Civilization I
MKTG-201 Principles of Marketing
MUS-102 Introduction of Music
PSY-101 General Psychology
SOC-201 Introduction to Sociology
SPCH-101 Effective Speaking

4-Year College (12 credits): 
ENG-267 Banned Books
PHIL-225 Ethics Beliefs in Action
PSY-202 Psychology of Adjustment
SOC-211 Group Dynamics

CLEP
Principles of Management
Information Systems
Financial Accounting
Principles of Macroeconomics
Principles of Microeconomics 

DSST
Human Resource Management
Organizational Behavior
Here is a degree plan.  The one thing I'm not sure about is the PoliSci course - whether it will fulfill the Civic Engagement requirement or not.  If it does, then you can move that course to that area, move the Psych course up from Free Electives to Gen Ed Electives, and then you have space for a free elective.  My plan is worst case scenario (which isn't terrible).

You definitely should go on the BSBA path, as you are well along that path anyway.  Your main issue is going to be which concentration you want to go with.  The 2 DSST's are both for courses required for the HR concentration, so you're 2/3 of the way done there.  If you want to do Marketing, you'd lose those.  You can also choose to do HR and Marketing if you want, you'd just need to add 6 marketing courses after you finished HR.  For GM, you're fine with what you have.

Anyway, this should work well for you, it's the GM concentration, but you can change that part easily.

Attached Files
.pdf   kietro - TESU BSBA1 GenMan.pdf (Size: 61.1 KB / Downloads: 300)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
This is amazing. Thank you so much.

The HR concentration is tempting. I'm grateful you pointed out that my 2 DSST's will help get me there. Based on the HR Mgmt./Org. Mgmt. page on TESU's site, it looks like I'll need to find a way to satisfy the "Organizational Theory OR Organizational Development and Change" requirement, as well 3 courses from the electives list below. Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I'm hoping I can complete those without taking any TESU courses.

Also, I'd like to take SL's MAT-150 Business Statistics course, which SL lists as equivalent to TESU's STA-201 Principles of Statistics. I noticed that my awesome new degree plan shows "STA-211" for the Mathematics requirement -- should I be concerned about the 211 vs. 201 there? (I'm worried that I'll screw this up somehow.)

Thanks again!

Electives:
Advanced Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
Advanced Organizational Behavior
Advanced Topics in Organizational Behavior
Advanced Organizational Theory and Analysis
Comparative Management Systems
Contemporary Labor Issues
Dispute Resolution
Employee Training
Industrial Psychology
Industrial Relations OR Labor Relations and Collective Bargaining
Introduction to Human Resources and Public Policy
Labor Law
Leadership and Motivation OR Leading the High Performance Organization
Manpower Planning and Operation
Organizational Communication OR Managerial Communications
Organizational Management Directed Research
Productivity, Technology and Work
Public Relations: Thought & Practice
Public Sector Collective Negotiations
Research Methods in Organizations
Small Group Leadership OR Leading Teams and Groups OR Work Groups in Organizations
Social Problems–Impact on the Workplace
Sociology of Work Organizations
Wage and Salary Administration
You can take any stats course, it won't matter.

Here's the generic BSBA in HR.

Attached Files
.pdf   x-TESU BSBA5 HR.pdf (Size: 64.25 KB / Downloads: 148)
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks, this is so helpful!

For the Managerial Accounting requirement, I'd like to take SL's Managerial Accounting ACC150 course instead of SL's Accounting II ACC102 course. I recognize that the latter is on SL's TESU course equivalency list. Do you think it's even worth asking TESU if I could substitute, and should I enroll before even attempting to get an answer?

Sorry. I'll really try to stop asking follow-up questions. Again, thanks so much for your guidance.
No problem. And no, I wouldn't take that, since TESU won't take it as the managerial accounting requirement. Just take Accounting II.
Based on the plan (and the advice in your last post), I got a few more done:

Info Literacy (CLEP A&I Lit)
Principles of Finance (SDC)
Accounting II (SDC)
Organizational Theory (SDC)

Side note: I really need to look at Study.com’s syllabi from now on. The Org Theory assignment took me by surprise.

I think I want to go with the HR Area of Study. I saw a post by someone who referenced your templates. Is there an editable version of the BSBA HR plan? (I won’t ask you do make a second plan for me.)

At the moment, I’m on the DF mobile app, but I’ll check the site from my computer later. Maybe I’ll be able to find more info on plan templates that way.

I applied to TESU. I checked my account, which shows an unofficial evaluation. Yours was spot on! Fortunately, they even fulfilled the Civic Engagement requirement with my PoliSci course (which you mentioned).

I feel like I’m getting somewhere. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
Im currently working on the BSBA in Human Resources also. I just completed the organizational theory course on Study.com. Working on strategic human resources management currently. I need 2 more UL courses to fit the HR electives. Can anyone recommend good options?

I was thinking Business 311 - project management. Anyone know if that would fufil one of the 2 remaining?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jimmy999's post:
  • kietro
(07-20-2018, 10:04 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: Im currently working on the BSBA in Human Resources also.    I just completed the organizational theory course on Study.com.      Working on strategic human resources management currently.    I need 2 more UL courses to fit the HR electives.   Can anyone recommend good options?

I was thinking Business 311 - project management.  Anyone know if that would fufil one of the 2 remaining?

It worked in my HR degree.  I also took the Public Relations TECEP.

Here are the options at Study.com that I think will work, I would ask TESU first:

PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology (PSY-401)
SOC 305: Sociology of Work (SOC-362)
BUS 314: Employment Law (LAW-340)
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (MAN-312)
BUS 305: Leadership Communication (MAN-376)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM-391)
BUS 324: Managerial Communication (MAN-373)
BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management
BUS 325: Union & Labor Relations
BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership
BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • kietro
Is Study.com’s BUS 324 Managerial Communication its only course that will fulfill TESU’s business communication Professional Requirement?

I was hoping (foolishly, probably) that Study.com’s BUS 113 Business Communication would do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic