Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where are all the UL 'Natural Science' classes?
(01-03-2018, 09:55 AM)Pelican Wrote: scout2family, what progress have you made on the degree plan? Are you going for the BA in Natural Science from EC?

Sorry for the delay! I'm leaning more towards TESU because the availability of my UL Science classes are challenging to locate. Of course I haven't asked for official help yet on my degree plan (I'm trying to see if I can put it together myself) BUT I keep finding myself overwhelmed with the amount of 'scattered' information. 

I've been taking courses thru Straighterline and Shmoop. I prefer SL but can work with Shmoop. To be honest, I am a terrible test-taker and at times get anxiety thru the roof (even knowing the subject), I don't like the idea of going anywhere else because there isn't a lot of weight on the final- at least with SL. And I like the idea of having a 'do-ver' with Shmoop- which helps with the anxiety. That being said, I'm kind of limiting myself to these two for the majority of my LL's and UL's, which in turn will somewhat dictate my degree.  IF there are other places that I can take courses that allow for 'retakes' on quizzes/exams and the final isn't heavily weighted, then the door will open to more choices of degree majors. But as of right now I'm looking at TESU BALS (English Lit Minor) or BALS (Psych Minor). 

On a side-note, I'm not fond of my degree stating LS instead of NS or the like. But I can't see a clear path to anything else at the moment. I do know I like TESU, since I can bring in most ALL of my 120 credits and their UL class requirements being less restrictive to satisfy.
“Crazy people don't know they're crazy. I know I'm crazy, therefore I'm not crazy, isn't that crazy?” 

― Captain Jack Sparrow
My Next Goal: Pondering Masters Program ??
Completed:  145+ Credits. Joined this forum October 2017 w/ 6 B&M Credits. Earned 117cr in 10 mo.! Graduated Sept 2019 TESU BSBA GM & ASNSM-CS
*SL 54 Cr *Shmoop 30 Cr +/- *Aleks 6 *Study.com 30+*TEEX 11 *CPCU 2 *B&M 6 
In Process:  Pondering  Big Grin
(01-31-2018, 02:34 PM)scout2family Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 09:55 AM)Pelican Wrote: scout2family, what progress have you made on the degree plan? Are you going for the BA in Natural Science from EC?

Sorry for the delay! I'm leaning more towards TESU because the availability of my UL Science classes are challenging to locate. Of course I haven't asked for official help yet on my degree plan (I'm trying to see if I can put it together myself) BUT I keep finding myself overwhelmed with the amount of 'scattered' information. 

I've been taking courses thru Straighterline and Shmoop. I prefer SL but can work with Shmoop. To be honest, I am a terrible test-taker and at times get anxiety thru the roof (even knowing the subject), I don't like the idea of going anywhere else because there isn't a lot of weight on the final- at least with SL. And I like the idea of having a 'do-ver' with Shmoop- which helps with the anxiety. That being said, I'm kind of limiting myself to these two for the majority of my LL's and UL's, which in turn will somewhat dictate my degree.  IF there are other places that I can take courses that allow for 'retakes' on quizzes/exams and the final isn't heavily weighted, then the door will open to more choices of degree majors. But as of right now I'm looking at TESU BALS (English Lit Minor) or BALS (Psych Minor). 

On a side-note, I'm not fond of my degree stating LS instead of NS or the like. But I can't see a clear path to anything else at the moment. I do know I like TESU, since I can bring in most ALL of my 120 credits and their UL class requirements being less restrictive to satisfy.

I just posted about the different options for people who get text anxiety (someone asked about Shmoop and other non-proctored courses, and I said that non-proctored didn't necessarily mean "stress-free"): 

---------------------------------------
One thing about Study.com (and probably others) is that the test feels less "test-y" than SL or one of the others to me, because you can just do it right when you're ready.  No scheduling it in advance, which makes me more anxious.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Shmoop, while not proctored, feels like a test.  They are supposed to be harder than average.

I would have him try some different types of courses, and see which he likes better.  Would he feel better with SL, where he can get close to 70% before he ever takes the final, so it is really about as low-stress as it comes?  Would he feel better with Study.com, where the small quizzes definitely don't feel like a test, and then they tell you what you need on the final to pass the course (for instance I need a 58% on the final to pass at this point, and I KNOW I can do that).  Would be like Ed4Credit, where he's able to retake the chapter tests multiple times until he gets everything really high, and in doing so, could pass the final with a low grade (and feel like he knows the material)?  How about Study.com's UL courses, where a paper and/or project is included, so he has an additional way to earn points, and the final is a smaller percentage of the grade?

Lots of options, and he won't know until he tries them.  At least apply for the study.com scholarship and try out a course, and see how he does.  Or find a SL coupon code.  Or wait for another deal to pop up on here for Ed4Credit or Sophia or something.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Help planning exams for ASNSM in Computer Science theveganmaker 3 1,537 07-27-2018, 10:52 AM
Last Post: theveganmaker
  TESU - BA in Computer Science Gone? MrBossmanJr 5 1,692 07-10-2018, 03:56 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  TESU BA Computer Science nyvrem 5 2,461 06-30-2018, 07:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Potomac? anyone take classes there frank.f.franky 3 1,667 05-24-2018, 01:06 AM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Where do they Fall? Classes BSBRose21 1 1,104 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  COSC gen ed classes, from SL or credit by testing pluggingalong 10 2,592 05-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Last Post: randomatom
  TESU ASNSM/BALS w Computer Science thewupk 1 1,198 05-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU ASNSM in Computer Science (Math/ALEKS) question AwardTour 7 2,344 05-03-2018, 07:03 AM
Last Post: Merlin
Sad TESU has stopped offering a BA in Computer Science? johnw 14 3,270 04-24-2018, 02:06 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  COSC Science Lab -- ed4credit accepted? stampbuyme 7 1,767 04-18-2018, 06:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore