Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with a degree completion plan for my daughter
Hi everyone.  

I could really use the help of some experts here.  Several years ago, my daughter was working toward a bachelor’s degree at one of the big three using a plan for a general liberal arts degree at Excelsior.  She never finished that but now wants to complete a bachelor’s degree as quickly as possible so she can enter an accelerated BS to BSN program.  Fast completion is more important than cheap at this point.  I willing to pay for SDC, Straighterline or whatever other educational resources are needed so that she can start making progress right away.  I’ve attached a spreadsheet with the list of credits she has obtained so far.   Any help you can provide in creating a completion plan at any of the big three (or others I don’t know about) would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attached Files
.xlsx   RachelBA_Share.xlsx (Size: 46.19 KB / Downloads: 34)
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

All I can say is check with the BS to BSN program she is going to attend. Most of them have pre-req's you must do ahead of time before entering (like anatomy, nutrition, biology, etc.). Make sure she takes these courses somehow too in addition to whatever she needs to graduate.
I created a TESU BALS degree plan and will give you some advice - and you can do with it what you will.  But it's what I would do if I was in your daughters shoes (and much has to do with how old some of the credits were and what has happened since she took the CLEP and DSST exams):

1) Apply to TESU, to see what they do with her credits - ESPECIALLY the ones where ACE downgraded them and they are no longer UL credit.  TESU probably goes by what the ACE recommendations were at the time of the exam, but I'd want to make sure before you do anything else.

2) Sign up for Study.com and do at least 2 courses to get the discounted rate

3) Make sure when you enroll at TESU that they have you with the Study.com discount, as well as taking the TES-100 course ($300) rather than the SOS-10 course ($1098 with SDC discount) - I'd download the catalog now to show as proof.

4) Do English Comp II however you'd like (she took the CLEP w/o Essay and The College Writing UExcel, both of which are considered English Comp I at TESU and duplicate each other) And I recommend the TECEP for this, since it was very easy w/o any study for me

5) Take American Government

6) Register for the Cornerstone and Capstone ASAP

7) Be prepared to fight for the UL credit that she should get, but also be ready to let it go and just take 4 fast UL courses at SDC if it comes down to it.  If that happened, the 4 courses that are marked as UL now, would go up into the SocSci area, GE Elective area, and Free Elective area.  Substance Abuse was and still is UL.

Attached Files
.xlsx   Kima TESU BALS.xlsx (Size: 33.79 KB / Downloads: 31)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-09-2019, 07:17 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I created a TESU BALS degree plan and will give you some advice - and you can do with it what you will.  But it's what I would do if I was in your daughters shoes (and much has to do with how old some of the credits were and what has happened since she took the CLEP and DSST exams):

1) Apply to TESU, to see what they do with her credits - ESPECIALLY the ones where ACE downgraded them and they are no longer UL credit.  TESU probably goes by what the ACE recommendations were at the time of the exam, but I'd want to make sure before you do anything else.

2) Sign up for Study.com and do at least 2 courses to get the discounted rate

3) Make sure when you enroll at TESU that they have you with the Study.com discount, as well as taking the TES-100 course ($300) rather than the SOS-10 course ($1098 with SDC discount) - I'd download the catalog now to show as proof.

4) Do English Comp II however you'd like (she took the CLEP w/o Essay and The College Writing UExcel, both of which are considered English Comp I at TESU and duplicate each other) And I recommend the TECEP for this, since it was very easy w/o any study for me

5) Take American Government

6) Register for the Cornerstone and Capstone ASAP

7) Be prepared to fight for the UL credit that she should get, but also be ready to let it go and just take 4 fast UL courses at SDC if it comes down to it.  If that happened, the 4 courses that are marked as UL now, would go up into the SocSci area, GE Elective area, and Free Elective area.  Substance Abuse was and still is UL.

Thank you so much!  I can't tell you how much I appreciate this.

(02-09-2019, 03:20 PM)natshar Wrote: All I can say is check with the BS to BSN program she is going to attend. Most of them have pre-req's you must do ahead of time before entering (like anatomy, nutrition, biology, etc.). Make sure she takes these courses somehow too in addition to whatever she needs to graduate.

Thanks for the tip.  I checked into it and there are 3 prerequisites she'll need to take.  Only one which might work into her degree plan.  But she can take them at Straighterline, so it won't be too bad on my budget.
WGU MBA IT Management Feb. 2019
Excelsior BSLA April 2018
University of Indianapolis - 61 credits
Davar - Computer Lit, Org Behavior 
DSST - Principles Of Statistics, Intro to Business, Principles of Supervision,Substance Abuse 
Excelsior - Bioethics, Assoc Capstone, Bachelors Capstone 
Straighterline - Personal Fitness & Wellness, Cultural Anthropology, Student Success, Criminal Justice, Env Science, Medical Terminology, Pharmacology 1, Bus Ethics
Sophia.org - Effective Teams, Project Management, Intro to Info Tech

(02-10-2019, 07:41 AM)Kima Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 03:20 PM)natshar Wrote: All I can say is check with the BS to BSN program she is going to attend. Most of them have pre-req's you must do ahead of time before entering (like anatomy, nutrition, biology, etc.). Make sure she takes these courses somehow too in addition to whatever she needs to graduate.

Thanks for the tip.  I checked into it and there are 3 prerequisites she'll need to take.  Only one which might work into her degree plan.  But she can take them at Straighterline, so it won't be too bad on my budget.

I would double-check to make sure that the BSN program will accept SL courses as meeting the prereqs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-10-2019, 07:18 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(02-10-2019, 07:41 AM)Kima Wrote:

I would double-check to make sure that the BSN program will accept SL courses as meeting the prereqs.

agreed - the wording you're looking for is "graded credit." If the prereq has to have graded credit / C or better, SL won't work at TESU or EC because it will come in as pass/fail.
Sorry to ask this question, but what does SDC stand for?
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
SDC = Study Dot Com
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • cwendy111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 27 314 1 minute ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 119 6 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 266 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,847 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 172 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 292 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 558 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower