Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with plan for TESU - BA in Communications or Liberal Studies
Hi All!

I just applied at TESU and sent in my Transcripts from 3 different colleges I attended roughly 10 years ago (Orange Coast College, Principia College, and Concordia University - Irvine).

I was hoping that you all could give me some guidance as to where I would stand with a plan on getting my BA in either Communications or Liberal Studies ... what you think I would be closest to and what else you think I would need to take (also where I could take those in order to transfer those in as well).

I have a total of 94.28 credits to transfer in (Principia College was on a trimester system, so this number is including the conversion to semester credits)

Here is what I have taken:

MKTG A100 - Intro to Marketing
MKTG A130 - Principles of Advertising

COM 216 - Interpersonal Communication
COM 335 - Nonverbal Communication
COM 451 - Organizational Communication
MCOM 110/111 - Intro to Mass Communication
MCOM 103 - Speech Fundamentals
MCOM 251 - Radio Broadcasting Workshop 
MCOM 380 - Anthropology of Media 
MCOM 320 - Mass Media in Society
MCOM 400 - Radio Station Internship
THEA 102 - Oral Interpretation
ANT 210 - Cultural Anthropology
HST 201 - Western Civilization I
HIST 288 - The Age of FDR 
ARTH 203 - Medieval Art

THL 101 - Foundations of Christian Theology
REL 227 - Paul The Apostle

MATH 135 - Intermediate Algebra
MATH 145 - Geometry for College Students

ENG 201 - Themes in Literature
ENG 233 - Film & Literature

PSY 351 - Personality Theory

SMGT 288 - Theory of Coaching

GEOL 242 - Historical Geology
SOC 235 - Environmental & Social Change
BNR 190 - Global Environmental Issues

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Hi octoco!
Once you get the evaluation back post that too.
For now I think it'd be useful to include the # credits for each course, and which list is from which university. However you can also just wait for the evaluation, and start with the free credits:
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Fr..._of_Credit
I'd go with communication. It is a step above liberal studies and it looks like you have most if not all of the communication area of study done.
natshar Wrote:I'd go with communication. It is a step above liberal studies and it looks like you have most if not all of the communication area of study done.

Yes, this is what I was just going to say as well. Communication degree would be better, I would recommend applying to TESU and get an initial evaluation. It'll tell you exactly what's missing, you should work on the FREE courses for now just to get the extra free elective credits and the ethics requirement. You will still need to complete the rest of the gen ed/free elective requirements.

PS. If you're undecided which degree you want, you're young and love to study & have the extra energy/money/time, you just need 2 more UL for a BALS in Social Sciences. You can take an easy TEEX UL AOJ and Study.com HIS course to complete the requirements, or take some UL Psych/Sociology from Study.com - you'll end up with a BA LS SS/Comm double major. So, don't fret, just go for one or go for both.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(02-06-2020, 05:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
natshar Wrote:I'd go with communication. It is a step above liberal studies and it looks like you have most if not all of the communication area of study done.

PS. If you're undecided which degree you want, you're young and love to study & have the extra energy/money/time, you just need 2 more UL for a BALS in Social Sciences.  You can take an easy TEEX UL AOJ and Study.com HIS course to complete the requirements, or take some UL Psych/Sociology from Study.com - you'll end up with a BA LS SS/Comm double major.  So, don't fret, just go for one or go for both.

I'm going to agree with natshar and disagree with bjcheung77 - there is no reason to double-major here.  You will have a BA in Comm, which is a perfectly acceptable degree.  To try to add a generic degree to it kind of undermines your original choice.  Just get one or the other.

I would also look at COSC, they have a Communications concentration, and they're about $2500 cheaper than TESU.  https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...cation.php
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you to everyone who has replied! They have all my transcripts as of yesterday. I have seen on different parts of their website different timeframes listed for how long the eval takes. One page says 10 business days, another says up to 25. Anyone know what the actual timeframe is? Or at least a general average of when people get their evals back?
TESU is twenty five days. Even if they receive it early, you'll get the evaluation within 25 days. So work on the recommend free credits as I mentioned in the previous post, you'll have to do the Ethics anyways and the others, they once again go into your missing free electives as well.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi All.

Thank you all for the help so far!  Here is the Eval for a BA in Communications.  Any help on what classes to take outside of TESU is GREATLY appreciated!

Here is what I gathered I still need:

·        ENC-101 English Composition I – 3 credits
·        ENC-102 English Composition II – 3 credits
·        Math course (MAT-121 College Algebra?) – 0.34 credits
·        SOS-110 (required) – 3 credits
·        ETH-230 Ethics in a Digital Age – 3 credits
·        POS-110 American Government – 3 credits
·        2 lower level Comm classes (COM-100 Communication Theory?, 120 Mass Comm?) – 6 credits
·        3 Area Of Study electives – 9 credits
·        Capstone (Required) - 3 credits
·        2 Electives – 4.34 credits

Program Requirements:
1: BA General Education (60 SH) (In progress)
SH Earned: 48.96 Complete all 5 subrequirements:

A: INTEL & PRACT SKILLS (In progress)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Intellectual and Practical Skills Courses

SH Earned: 5.99

Written Communication 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ENC-101 English Composition I *must earn a grade of C/CR or better
Source Course Title Term Grade SH TESU # Notes
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
3 credits needed
Written Communication 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ENC-102 English Composition II *must earn a grade of C/CR or better
______ _______________ _________________________ __________ _______ _______ __________
3 credits needed
Oral Communication 3SH (Complete)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: COM-209 Public Speaking
1 MCOM103 Speech Fundamentals 05/01/05 B- 3.33 COM-108
*TE
Quantitative Literacy 3SH (In progress)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: MAT-121 College Algebra
SH Earned: 2.66
Required: 3
Remaining: 0.34
1 MATH135 Intermediate Algebra 12/01/06 C 1.33 MAT-115
*TE
1 MATH145 Geometry for College Students 03/01/07 B- 1.33 MAT-260
*TE
0.34 credits needed
Information Literacy 3SH (INSTITUTIONAL REQUIREMENT) (Not started)
To meet this requirement, students MUST take SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University.
3 credits needed
B: CIV & GLOBAL LDRSHP (In progress)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Civic and Global Leadership Courses

SH Earned: 3

Diversity Intercultural Literacy 3SH (Complete)
Zero Textbook option: SOC-101 Introduction to Sociology (Students pursuing a BA in Sociology should select a different course to sat isfy the Diversity requirement.)
2 ANT210 Cultural Anthropology 12/01/07 C 3.00 ANT-150
*TE
Ethical Leadership 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: ETH-230 Ethics in a Digital Age
3 credits needed
Civic Engagement 3SH (Not started)
Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) option: POS-110 American Government (Students pursuing the BA in Policical Science should select a differen t course to satisfy the Civic Engagement requirement.)
3 credits needed
C: KNOWLDG HUMAN CULTRS (Complete)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Knowledge of Human Cultures Courses

Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) options, include but are not limited to:

HIS-114 American History II (Students pursuing a BA in History should select HUM-103 Introduction to the Humanities III: Music )

LIB-342 Online Obsessions: Determining and Dealing with Digital Dependency

PHI-130 Critical Reasoning

PSY-305 Br ain and Mind
Humanities and/or Social Sciences 12SH
SH Earned: 12.33
2 HST201 Western Civilization I 12/01/07 B 3.00 HIS-101
*TE
2 THL101 Fnd Christian Theology 05/01/08 C+ 3.00 REL-111
*TE
2 ENG201 Themes in Literature 05/01/08 B 3.00 LIT-101
*TE
1 THEA102 Oral Interpretation 12/01/06 A 3.33 THA-199
*TE
D: UNDRST PHYS&NAT WRLD (Complete)
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to Understanding the Physical and Natural World Courses
Natural Sciences 4SH
SH Earned: 6.66
1 BNR190 Global Environmental Issues 03/01/07 B- 3.33 ENS-199
*TE
1 GEOL242 Historical Geology 03/01/06 C 3.33 GEO-121
*TE
E: GE ELECTIVES (Complete)
GEN ED ELECTIVES:
For all TESU course options that will satisfy this area of the degree, go to General Education Elective Courses.

To identify which of these courses is Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC), go to Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) Cours es.
General Education Electives 20SH
SH Earned: 20.98
1 MCOM111 Mass Communication Independent 12/01/05 B+ 1.33 COM-121
*TE
1 ENGL233 Film & Literature 12/01/06 B+ 3.33 ENG-299
*TE
1 SOC235 Environmental & Social Change 05/01/06 B+ 3.33 SOC-299
*TE
1 HIST288 The Age of Fdr 05/01/06 C 3.33 HIS-299
*TE
1 REL227 Paul the Apostle 05/01/05 C+ 3.33 REL-215
*TE
1 ARTH203 Medieval Art 05/01/05 C 3.33 ART-299
*TE
2 PSY351 Personality Theory 05/01/08 B+ 3.00 PSY-352
*TE

2: Communications (30 SH) (In progress)
SH Earned: 15.66 GPA Achieved/Needed: 2.158 / 2.000 Complete both subrequirements:

A: Required 9 SH (In progress)
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
Required courses include:

COM-100 Communication Theory, 3 SH

COM-120 M ass Communications I, 3 SH

COM-121 Mass Communications II, 3 SH

For TESU course options, go to Communications Courses

SH Earned: 3.33

Group 1 (Not started)
3 credits needed
Group 2 (Not started)
3 credits needed
Group 3 (Complete)
1 MCOM320 Mass Media in Society 03/01/07 C+ 3.33 COM-317
*TE
B: AOS Electives 21 SH (In progress)
*must earn grades of C/CR or better
For TESU course options, go to Commu nications Courses

**A total of 15 of the 30 Semester Hours required within the entire Communications Area of Study must be a t the 300/400 level.**

SH Earned: 12.33

Group 1 (In progress)
SH Earned: 6
Required: 15
Remaining: 9
2 COM451 Organizational Comm 05/01/08 B- 3.00 COM-391
*TE
2 COM335 Non Verbal Communication 05/01/08 C+ 3.00 COM-361
*TE
1 MCOM380 Anthropology of Media 05/01/06 C- { 3.33} COM-399
*G *GPA *TE
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
3 credits needed
Group 2 (Complete)
SH Earned: 6.33
2 COM216 Interpersonal Comm 12/01/07 C 3.00 COM-230
*TE
1 MCOM251 Radio Broadcasting Workshop 03/01/06 C 3.33 RTV-228
*TE

3: Liberal Arts Capstone (3 SH) (Not started)

*must earn a grade of C/CR or better
This Capstone course must be taken with Thomas Edison State University or via an approved T homas Edison State University Academic Program Review. Baccalaureate students will not be permitted to register for a capstone cours e unless they have 100 credits applied toward the requirements for the declared degree and a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

For TE SU course options, go to LIB-495 Liberal Arts Cap stone Course
3 credits needed

4: Electives (27SH) (In progress)

For TESU course options, go to Elective Courses
SH Earned: 22.66
Required: 27
Remaining: 4.34
3 MKTGA100 Intro to Marketing 12/01/03 B 3.00 MAR-201
*CC *TE
1 MCOM400 Radio Station Internship 05/01/07 B+ 10.00 COP-499
*TE
1 SMGT288 Theory of Coaching 12/01/05 B 3.33 PYT-196
*TE
3 MKTGA130 Advertising 12/01/03 D 3.00 MAR-223
*CC *TE
1 MCOM380 Anthropology of Media 05/01/06 C- 3.33 COM-399
*TE
3 credits needed
1.34 credits needed
Because TESU requires 3 specific courses that aren't easy to find, you will probably spend thousands on those particular courses, putting you close to $10k to finish your degree.

At COSC, they don't require specific courses, just areas - and you have the courses for those areas. It's just a matter of finding a few electives. One thing you can do at COSC is a BS instead of an BA, so you can have more courses that aren't considered Liberal Arts courses in your major. It's a definite positive when compared to TESU.

I would definitely look at COSC. It will be SO much easier to find what you need to finish the degree cheaply there, I think you're looking at closer to $4k to complete the degree there (assuming they bring in those 10cr of UL for the internship under "applied communications.")
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
The thing that seems to be tripping me up the most is that the Evaluation says that I am 0.34 credit shy on my Math requirements. At the previous college where I took my math courses, they apparently only counted them as 2 trimester credits each - so they equate to 1.33 credits each and then I end up short by 0.34 credits. Is there anything out there that could possible give me just a single math credit as opposed to having to take an entire 3 credit math course when I've already technically completed both Algebra and Geometry at the college level?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 279 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,157 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy