Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(TESC) Is it normal for a mentor to skip work you've submitted in the class?
I understand I'm probably being super-nitpicky here, but here goes: My mentor essentially vanished for a few weeks, right before this time period in which I got all the work done for the entire class about 4 weeks ahead of schedule (mostly papers).

After not having any feedback whatsoever, I log in today and see that a lot of stuff has been marked, including my final paper getting 100% (yay!). On the other hand, I'm 5% away from an A in the class, as the paper right before the finals one somehow got missed.

She's already posted as feedback about good work and what a pleasure it was to have me in class, so now I'm wondering: should I ping her to check the paper I submitted that's yet to be marked, or wait until 5 December when grades are posted?

Again, all the work was posted 4 weeks in advance, and every other work I got has been graded. I just... don't know if it'd be wise to send her a reminder about it. Just seems odd to completely jump from one of the more "routine" assignments into the final paper for the class.
OfficerA,

Yes, I would send a note and ask about the missing grade. She could have honestly missed it since she is now catching up on all outstanding assignments. If you do it now and there is an issue, you have time to make any changes and resubmit. If you wait, you are stuck with the final grade. During my first semester, I did not know you could resubmit work. I only found out at the end of the semester when the instructor went back in to see if I made changes. Lesson learned. I understand the semester is over, but since everything is date and time stamped, if you should decide to appeal a grade decsion you should be within college policy to do so.

Also, keep in mind, TESC is geared towards the adult student. Many (if not most) of the TESC mentors have day jobs. This is why you will find inconsistent grading and some who do not seem to take part or care about the students progression through the course. They just seem to show up towards the end, grade papers and submit the final grade to the school. In all fairness, you also have students who will also submit both assignments and discussion forum posts late as well. This is one of the reasons why so many adult students prefer the TESC format.

In comparison, you have mentors exclusive to TESC who take their roles seriously, expect/create a ton of busy work, and grade super harshly. I've experienced both scenarios and believe me I prefer the non existent instructor over the ***-buster any day of the week. To summarize, it's always best to check ratemyprofessor.com for instructor/course feedback prior to registering. You can also search out an instructors bio to see if they are faculty at another institution.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Thanks yet again bricabrac; I was dreading how awkward it'd be to fire off a reminder to her to at least check the assignment, so hopefully I don't get too lit up for it.

Didn't realize that about the faculty at TESC being like that, but it makes sense now why I'm still seeing board postings due 2 weeks ago only popping up now from students (ditto with the grades from the mentors).

I initially thought ratemyprofessor was being unfair to the instructor, as well as me wanting only to get into any class to finish my degree, but after reading the thorough reviews on there I've chosen my class carefully for my last class through TESC, so no worries there.

Thanks again.
Always happy to share my experiences! My most difficult courses where both 100 level.

My first semester I took computer concepts and applications, expecting an easy A. We had two texts for the course, one for the class, one for the lab component. I learned quickly after receiving the grade from my first assignment the instructor wanted min 3 references, best grade if 4 or more. By Wk2, I was typing up my discussion forum entries in essay format (including citations and endnotes, with 3-5 references) and attaching the doc to the post. That was the only way to receive an A for discussion posts. On the written assignments if you did not blather on about each question asked you were dinged. No study tips at all on midterm or final.Was very lucky i worked hard on the DF and WAs. I ended up with a B+ in a subject that I loved. Unfortunately, I was spoiled by my math instructor the same semester, who provided a study guide on what to review for both exams. I found out later that was more the exception than the rule.

My instructor for business math the following semester was nonexistent and you had to argue back and forth with her when her answer key was proven wrong. She also was a stickler on formatting. How can you be a stickler on formatting math problems? I ended up copying the pages from the text, handwriting the answers, scanning the pages and submitting. All because the woman was so lazy, she couldn't be so bothered as to check the questions in the book when I asked her to review my typed answers that were maked incorrect the first week. She also offered no study tips for the midterm or final. My final grade was a B. This was the worst course I had while at TESC and it was due to the instructor.

Every other course I took, upper level included, I received As. Was it because I was exposed to two of the worst examples of instructors early on so I worked harder and smarter, most definitely. I also had many wonderful classes/instructors who I gave glowing reviews on ratemyprofesor and in forums. Overall, this was no different than experiences with choice teachers from grade school though high school. But the end result is signficant, your degree GPA follows you through life. What's the old adage, "You Live and you Learn!"

Hope your next semester proves to be a better experience!

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Always happy to share my experiences! My most difficult courses where both 100 level.

My first semester I took computer concepts and applications, expecting an easy A. We had two texts for the course, one for the class, one for the lab component. I learned quickly after receiving the grade from my first assignment the instructor wanted min 3 references, best grade if 4 or more. By Wk2, I was typing up my discussion forum entries in essay format (including citations and endnotes, with 3-5 references) and attaching the doc to the post. That was the only way to receive an A for discussion posts. On the written assignments if you did not blather on about each question asked you were dinged. No study tips at all on midterm or final.Was very lucky i worked hard on the DF and WAs. I ended up with a B+ in a subject that I loved. Unfortunately, I was spoiled by my math instructor the same semester, who provided a study guide on what to review for both exams. I found out later that was more the exception than the rule.

My instructor for business math the following semester was nonexistent and you had to argue back and forth with her when her answer key was proven wrong. She also was a stickler on formatting. How can you be a stickler on formatting math problems? I ended up copying the pages from the text, handwriting the answers, scanning the pages and submitting. All because the woman was so lazy, she couldn't be so bothered as to check the questions in the book when I asked her to review my typed answers that were maked incorrect the first week. She also offered no study tips for the midterm or final. My final grade was a B. This was the worst course I had while at TESC and it was due to the instructor.

Every other course I took, upper level included, I received As. Was it because I was exposed to two of the worst examples of instructors early on so I worked harder and smarter, most definitely. I also had many wonderful classes/instructors who I gave glowing reviews on ratemyprofesor and in forums. Overall, this was no different than experiences with choice teachers from grade school though high school. But the end result is signficant, your degree GPA follows you through life. What's the old adage, "You Live and you Learn!"

Hope your next semester proves to be a better experience!

I have to say, I've had similar experiences at TESC. I don't know if it's worse to have a lazy grader or a "b-buster" but I will say that when I spend hours on a paper, to get a 100 with the comment "good job" I want to flick my mentor in the head. No feedback, no criticism, no comments about...well, about anything. Clearly some folks are on autopilot.

My husband is currently in his MBA program, just finished his first class. His forum post requirement was DAILY. The instructor deducted points if there wasn't at least 1 post every-flipping-day. That's just ridiculous imo. My husband missed a Sunday during the first week and he had points deducted. The forum was only 10% overall of your grade, so those daily points are microscopic in the large picture, but really- what kind of person goes to class 7 days a week? (my husband apparently) I think his teacher was a graduate of a high tier business school, so maybe he thought he should take "online doesn't mean easier" to mean twice as hard? But, the flip side of that coin, there was tons of instructor feedback/interaction.

I don't know what's best, but you're just shooting darts in the dark trying to guess what will offend your mentor vs be viewed as reasonable. My vote is ask about the grade.
cookderosa Wrote:I have to say, I've had similar experiences at TESC. I don't know if it's worse to have a lazy grader or a "b-buster" but I will say that when I spend hours on a paper, to get a 100 with the comment "good job" I want to flick my mentor in the head. No feedback, no criticism, no comments about...well, about anything. Clearly some folks are on autopilot.

My husband is currently in his MBA program, just finished his first class. His forum post requirement was DAILY. The instructor deducted points if there wasn't at least 1 post every-flipping-day. That's just ridiculous imo. My husband missed a Sunday during the first week and he had points deducted. The forum was only 10% overall of your grade, so those daily points are microscopic in the large picture, but really- what kind of person goes to class 7 days a week? (my husband apparently) I think his teacher was a graduate of a high tier business school, so maybe he thought he should take "online doesn't mean easier" to mean twice as hard? But, the flip side of that coin, there was tons of instructor feedback/interaction.

I don't know what's best, but you're just shooting darts in the dark trying to guess what will offend your mentor vs be viewed as reasonable. My vote is ask about the grade.

I took small business mgmt at my community college during a summer semester, we had 7-9 discussion posts due each week. The written assignments were learning summaries. I almost dropped when signing in the first day of class I saw how much work was required. I muddled through and it was actually a very enjoyable course. The professor was an investor who travelled extensively. He was so amazing to learn from.

He was also a workaholic and signed in to the virtual classroom even while in Japan on business. The class overall enjoyed his teaching style, his commentary and responses on the discussion boards. He would just jump in as if he were also a student leaving posts and responses. The guy was a breath of fresh air.

My supervisors eMBA program was also brutal. I'm sure we all know what's been discussed on this board (WGU) is not the norm by any stretch of the imagination. My boss, at the time the CMO, used to set up meeting times with his direct reports to work on his assignments when it was an area outside his wheelhouse. They had individual and group assignments they were responsible for. Between business and his education the man didn't sleep for two years. The rewards were almost instantaneous. Well, the company paid for the program including all travel expenses. And before the degree was even completed he had headhunters calling him for partnerships and CEO gigs. Folks were either flying him out or flying in to meet with him. It was awesome! He was well known and respected prior to the distinction - but after, just dialed it all up a notch or two!

I wish your husband much luck and many rewards in his degree program and professional career!

Happy Turkey Day !

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
Well, got a short and to the point reply that apparently she was going to continue marking everything else today. I'll fire off one last word of thanks, as I feel like I just ruined her Thanksgiving with that email yesterday (then again, considering her last comment on my last work, I didn't really have much else I could do).

As for professors, I went with the highest-rated English 102 mentor ratemyprofessor had, and right before I went to sleep yesterday she already fired off two emails about her paper guidelines and expectations for class. While I feel like it's jumping the gun way too soon (e.g. links she provided can't be accessed yet, as the semester doesn't start until next week), it's somewhat reassuring that the number of pages of work required is significantly smaller than what I was up to with Managerial Communications (great class, not so fond of the papers).

Happy Thanksgiving all!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  Does TESU put the free Ethics class from the Institutes as a grade or just as credit? Jenna.C 19 5,369 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 4,679 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,589 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  Penn Foster/TESU UL last class FinishTHEM 3 1,374 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: FinishTHEM
  Easy TESU Class...need help omuneek 4 1,472 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Last Post: omuneek
  Easiest Math Class for TESU BALS? Kickedthehabit2 3 1,397 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Easy TESU class? sarg123 19 4,582 04-26-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  One hour UL class for COSC frank.f.franky 4 1,745 04-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Last Post: boalex207
  Thomas Edison Calculus Class ALstudent 8 2,409 03-13-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: frank.f.franky