Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here is where I am now with my graduate school decision..
I have been looking into MBA and Human Resources paths.   I do *not* have a business degree.  I have been randomly taking online courses.  Not necessarily anything that is for credit (I am ok with that for now).  I want to keep my choices to no more than $10,000 total and avoid debt.  My undergrad took too long to pay off and I don’t want to go there again.   

So, that brings me to what I have found so far...

Walden - They offer both an MBA and a Master in Human Resources.  The HR program does not have program accreditation but the MBA does.  They got in some sort of trouble regarding the nursing program and I am afraid their RA accreditation may be at risk.  Not sure if the reputation of the school would be at risk.  I am doing the free term starting next month regardless.  Cost would be under 10,000 only if I can finish in 3 terms. (9 months - which may be hard).   

Grantham - I just found this school.  I would qualify for their “heroes” discount because my husband is a veteran and a police Lieutenant.  Could get an accredited MBA.  They do not offer an HR concentration nor a Master in HR, but they have both an undergrad and grad *certificate* in HR.  Seems they got in some kind of trouble for targeting military folks in their advertising.  Could be an issue with reputation for that, but I am not sure.  But I like the price. $250 per credit & no other fees.  I like that the cost remains the same even if I take it really slow.  But can’t choose an HR degree, only certificate.  I think they are NA and program accredited.

WGU - This is mostly appealing if I can get one of their scholarships.  I would possibly be eligible for the Administrative scholarship.  They only have an MBA, not an HR masters.  If I had the scholarship and could finish in two terms, it would stay under that 10,000 range.

I gave University of the People a try.  I think I need a little more interaction.  Not a fan of the peer grading thing.  And concerned on how well it would be received out in the world.  

Most other options I have found price around $20,000 or more.  I just don’t think I want to do that.  That would take loans.  Meh. Undecided

I am going to do the ENEB thing.  It’s super cheap and for me totally worth it regardless of what I get out of it.  I still can’t figure out how valid it would be here in the US.  But I have spent more money on a watch I didn’t need, so there’s that.     Tongue

I am also in the middle of the free certificate in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion that USF is offering.  I figured this would at best be a nice supplement to any degree.  At worst, great personal and professional development.

Any further insights that might help are appreciated.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
Walden doesn't have a very good reputation.

Consider Purdue Global. Their regular online MBA has an HR concentration, or they have the competency-based program which is only a general concentration. I am not sure how much the regular program would cost.

It's really cool and great that you're keeping options available to select from, I would open that up even more to other competency based degree providers or other programs that are similar to MBA or Masters with a concentration in HR. 

I'm not sure if you really need an MBA or a Masters with a concentration in HR to get "certified" as a SPHR.  Here's the website, you have 3 options for education & experience: https://www.hrci.org/our-programs/our-ce...tions/sphr

I would maybe put my focus on an UMASS MAOL and SPHR certification combo for the best bang for money... or if you want a WGU MSML and SPHR certification.  Work on the following three items - 1) Degree 2) Certification 3) Experience
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I'd probably continue looking. If you want HR, I'm not certain you need an MBA - would a MSOL work instead? If so, that opens up some more options as well. I also wouldn't consider an NA program, but that's me. I just want my degrees to be RA.

There may also be more schools out there that give you the $250/cr rate, since that's set by the military/DoD. Maybe not for a master's program, but even that has some cheaper options at some schools.

Competency-based master's programs:
UMPI has a MAOL (36cr/12 courses) for $2,000/8wk term - if you can finish in 5 terms or less, that's $10k. I think it's very doable.
Capella has a MBA/HR for $2,500/12wk term.
WGU has a MS in Management & Leadership that's ACSB-accredited for $4,325/6mo term.
Brandman (soon to be UMass Global) has a MAOL for $3,500/24wk term
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Vle045
I haven't checked the details but ASAIK, the least expensive MBA/HR programs are Columbia Southern, Fitchburg State and Fort Hays State.
Something to keep in mind as you look: price per credit needs to be multiplied by number of credits to get the full price going in. A $350/cr program requiring 39cr is going to cost more than a program costing $400/cr that only requires 30cr.

Many schools say that if you don't have an ACBSP-accredited Bachelor's degree, then you have to take up to 9cr of "pre-MBA" coursework.

Also, some MAOL or similar degrees require fewer (and very different) courses than the MBA. For instance the FHSU MBA/HR is 33cr, but their MPS in HRM is 30cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Vle045
If you are not opposed to Liberty University (from a religious/philosophical perspective, for instance) they might be a good option. It’s an RA and ACBSP accredited school. They have an MBA with an HR concentration (12 hours in HR). If I understand correctly, your tuition as a veterans’s spouse would be $275/hour. The total tuition would be $12,375, BUT Liberty accepts up to 50% transfer credits. You have expressed interest in the free term at Walden. If you were able to earn 9 credits, let’s say, at Walden and transferred those to Liberty, you would be at 36 hours remaining. That would leave you at $9,900 for your remaining credits at Liberty.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 2 users Like freeloader's post:
  • smf6824, Vle045
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will probably look a little more closely at them tonight. I think for the veteran’s discounts, it would have to be something that the school is offering on it’s own and not through the DoD. If I understand correctly, his benefit through them was only good for 10 years. He has been out of the military a lot longer than that. He chose not to use those benefits and went right in to police work. But admittedly , I am not well versed in that
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

(04-21-2021, 08:02 AM)Alpha Wrote: I haven't checked the details but ASAIK, the least expensive MBA/HR programs are Columbia Southern, Fitchburg State and Fort Hays State.

Wow! I just looked at Columbia Southern.  They have a Hero behind the Hero award that would cover 60 credits.  But it looks like it’s basically like a lottery pull.  Not automatic.  They pick a total of 4 per year.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Well, my first month and a half at Walden has been SLOW for me. Lack of time is one barrier and my complete feeling of inadequacy in writing a paper has kind of halted my progress. My coach set up a time to call me every Thursday to check inn, but he has only called once. If I don’t take some time to really focus for like a week straight, I don’t know if I will finish much. I might be better off to stick with the ENEB thing for now. I am not sure. Glad this is a free term.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Graduate Discounts (ENEB, Walden, etc) ashkir 24 21,067 Yesterday, 01:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 876 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,841 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Graduate Schools that accept the most transfer credits sanantone 65 15,170 03-06-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Graduate transfer credits David1477 10 944 03-03-2024, 02:05 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,340 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  ENEB won't let me graduate and refusing to answer all emails and calls slayer35 41 4,466 02-20-2024, 10:20 PM
Last Post: William.H
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,277 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 648 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz