Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heritage Institute: Math/Sci/Other $125 Grad. Credit
I ran across something called the Heritage Institute which provides classes with Antioch University Seattle graduate credit hours for about $125 per graduate credit hour.  The classes are professional development courses for teachers, but they have some very desirable course prefixes in math, science, history.  Link:

https://www.hol.edu/courses

BTW, Antioch runs on quarter credits which is annoying, but there still seem to be some good values here.
[-] The following 3 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • BSLIONS, tesu-acct-student, Yenisei
I wonder if those math courses would come in as UL for the TESU math degree.
BSBA/Accounting TESU (2016). MSA UIUC (2018).

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tesu-acct-student's post:
  • Yenisei
It's a very good question. Here's the list of math and science courses: https://www.hol.edu/courses#filters=subject[Math%20&%20Science]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Yenisei's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
(06-11-2018, 12:57 PM)Yenisei Wrote: It's a very good question. Here's the list of math and science courses: https://www.hol.edu/courses#filters=subject[Math%20&%20Science]

They would be kind of expensive for undergraduate credits (at least compared to what people normally see here). I did the math. TESU requires 18 UL math credits for their BA. 18 semester credits is 27 quarter credits. At $125 per quarter credit, that would cost $3,375 for 27 of them. If they transferred into TESU as 18 UL semester credits, that would like paying $187.50 per semester credit. So not too bad I guess but still a little pricey compared to the normal price we typically see here on the forums. Might be worth it for the right person though... IF TESU accepted them as UL math.

Edit: after posting, I realized a quicker way to do that math. $125 x 1.5 = $187.50.

Need help with portfolios? I earned 18 credits at TESU through portfolio evaluations. Nine of those were for upper level accounting courses. My advice for PLA/portfolios: TESU portfolio tips The first post has the Portfolio Checklist I created. Page ten has the actual narrative I wrote to receive credit for ACC-440.

Using Straighterline's Financial Accounting as a substitute for TESU's Intermediate Accounting I? Don't do it if you are an accounting major and/or want your CPA license. They are not the same course and I think TESU has erred in accepting the SL course as Intermediate I. I made this discovery here: Intermediate Accounting II.
(06-11-2018, 09:39 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: I wonder if those math courses would come in as UL for the TESU math degree.

Seems unlikely. They all look like education courses to me.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-11-2018, 09:39 AM)tesu-acct-student Wrote: I wonder if those math courses would come in as UL for the TESU math degree.

I don't think the problem is UL, it's whether they'd be considered math vs. EDU courses.

Honestly, for a math degree, wouldn't YOU want to do higher level math, vs. "teaching math to preschoolers" or some other course like that?  If an employer looked at your transcript and saw these kinds of courses for a math degree, I think they would not be impressed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-11-2018, 02:06 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I don't think the problem is UL, it's whether they'd be considered math vs. EDU courses.

Honestly, for a math degree, wouldn't YOU want to do higher level math, vs. "teaching math to preschoolers" or some other course like that?  If an employer looked at your transcript and saw these kinds of courses for a math degree, I think they would not be impressed.

You definitely have a point there.

Some of those courses are listed as math courses.

I think that the best use case here is for a person who is maybe one class away and needs some upper level math. The Math in Our Lives might not be very impressive, but it could fill a spot. I kind of like the science classes better. The invasive species one looks interesting to me. I am going to try for math certification on my teaching certificate. I think that I'm there with 40+ credits right now, but if I need an upper level class, I might take one of these.
[-] The following 2 users Like eriehiker's post:
  • tesu-acct-student, Yenisei
Great find, seems they can be taken as GL or UL

Wow it would great if COSC took some of these as UL

CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT in FILM & LITERATURE
Course No. HI407D, HI507D
Instructor: Eric Low
Tuition $195 ‑ $280
Quarter Credits 3

CIVIL WAR: Film, Literature & Classroom Resources
Course No. HI407i, HI507i
Tuition $380 ‑ $495
Quarter Credits 6

COLONIAL & REVOLUTIONARY AMERICA: Film, Literature & Classroom Resources
Course No. HI407F, HI507F
Tuition $380 ‑ $495
Quarter Credits 6
[-] The following 1 user Likes frank.f.franky's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
They seem to have sales every month on some of the classes too. I'll have to save this for later and see what TESU says about them.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Institute of Law - My Journey AnonJD2027 14 1,914 03-19-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: JazzMac
  Troy University Master's - $250/credit for military PreLawCoastie 11 546 03-11-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  List of free graduate credit udi 15 7,614 01-26-2024, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  Transferring graduate credit from UofPeople Quackerz 8 649 01-16-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,272 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,408 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  ENEB transfer credit to Universidad Azteca/UCN and others Kalas 14 2,461 10-06-2023, 09:28 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Southwestern College & New Earth Institute (Art Therapy, Consiousness MAs) ashkir 23 3,031 09-01-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: eLearner
  Time to start thinking post grad, and don’t know where to start Insert Name 7 955 07-09-2023, 10:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77