Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hiring 450 teachers, no education degree needed
Just as an fyi for anyone who might be interested.

It's an article from a few months ago, but according to a friend who lives in that area, they are still hiring.

Savannah-Chatham hiring 450 teachers, no education degree required | WSAV-TV
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread
Wow did you read the comments? Vicious.
I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
davewill Wrote:I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...

I honestly thought this was the standard; teaching what you actually spent your time learning and researching. I've never much desired to be a teacher though, so I guess I never looked in to it or thought too much about it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
For teachers in our area, they require a teaching license and also a Bachelors of Education degree.
That degree is actually just 1 year of teaching/education, not an entirely different/second degree.
Most people, if not all, have an BA or BS in some major, and then take this B.Ed program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Texas colleges and universities don't offer bachelor's degrees in education. You earn a degree in a subject and choose the education track similar to how students choose a pre-law or pre-med track. For those who want to be elementary school teachers, who are required to teach multiple subjects, they usually major in interdisciplinary studies or something similar. However, that doesn't mean that your math teach will have a math degree because you can certify in just about anything. One of my math teachers had a degree in biology. My physics teacher had a degree in microbiology. It was easy to tell that both were out of their comfort zone, and the math teacher with the biology degree was downright horrible and visibly miserable.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
There was a major study showing college education students went into college with the lowest HS GPA (compared to about 12 other majors) and the highest college graduation GPA....It was a study on grade inflation.:ack:
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

davewill Wrote:I wasn't aware that teachers had to have a degree in education. Wouldn't you prefer a Physics teacher have a Physics degree, an English teacher an English degree, etc...

This is not an anti-teacher comment, some of my favorite people are teachers.....
Still, it's entirely possible to be a public school teacher of math or science, with nothing more than a few 100 level classes. It's all pedagogy, which is why (IMO) teachers are so easily offended by private school and home school- if learning pedagogy isn't essential to the student's success, then what?
Life Long Learning Wrote:There was a major study showing college education students went into college with the lowest HS GPA (compared to about 12 other majors) and the highest college graduation GPA....It was a study on grade inflation.:ack:

I saw it too- I think it was in the Higher Ed Chronicle. Across all standardized tests for college admissions, when majors were tracked, the bottom quartile was always education majors.
I think it would be good for a math teacher to have a math degree. That being said I understand things happen and schools have to teach with what they have. Good teachers are not a product of their degree name. Good folks when given the chance often are not what was programed!

cookderosa Wrote:I saw it too- I think it was in the Higher Ed Chronicle. Across all standardized tests for college admissions, when majors were tracked, the bottom quartile was always education majors.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vent: 1-byte people in education berlinerd 3 393 11-17-2023, 05:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 542 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
  Possible Career Change - Advice Needed acamp 18 1,216 06-11-2023, 06:14 PM
  Advice needed, making time for uni work. Personherebb9 14 1,104 06-11-2023, 03:11 AM
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 490 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  Immigration and education level Personherebb9 7 791 10-30-2022, 03:32 PM
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 529 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Microsoft Education Alpha 1 628 11-05-2021, 08:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic