Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Degree
(05-12-2021, 10:58 AM)Chirp Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 10:33 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(05-12-2021, 08:13 AM)Chirp Wrote: Hello there! I'm a current Excelsior student, Getting my BS in History, about to begin my Capstone in June!
 I can verify that you absolutely CAN get all you need via alternative methods without needing to CLEP anything.
Here is exactly what I have done this year:
For Starters, you only need 33 credits in history, so 11 classes. and only 6 need to be UL. You need 10 TOTAL UL including electives

From Sophia
1: US history 1 LL
2:US history 2 LL

From SDC
3: Western Civ 2  LL
4: History 308 Causes and effects of the Vietnam war UL
5: History 306 American Civil war era UL
6: History 301 Historiography UL

7: DSST History of the Soviet Union ( this one you cannot take, However I wouldn't worry, while I need this because I need it for UL, you might not. As you'll see at the end, my list has more than 6 UL in history because I personally didn't bring in any UL transfer credits ).

8: UExcel World Conflicts UL ( you might not need this, because this is a " 7th " UL , again, I just didn't have any to begin with )

9: One UL American history from Excelsior
10: One UL European history from Excelsior
11: History Capstone from Excelsior

I'm doing the Excelsior partnership where you take the 13 credits instead of the 5.

So as you can see, it works just fine, and as for the rest, including the other few UL classes you may or may not need, Sophia or SDC the HECK out of them! I only needed to take one UL elective from SDC because I transfered in more than 60 credits, so was able to take Cornerstone B, which is UL, instead of A from Excelsior. Which brought me to my 10 total UL classes

Good luck, and let me know If I can answer any other questions!

EC has recently changed the course equivalencies, and none of Study.com's history courses are UL any longer.  So you are going to have a difficult time finding enough UL history courses to complete the degree at UExcel.

I'm aware! However my advisor at Excelsior approved them, and I did them just this month! When I spoke to her, she said on her end they still show up as UL. Heck, Historiography doesn't even show up as a class option at SDC for EC! And yet is was approved. Lets just say for arguments sake though, that they cease to come in as UL for anyone after me, which we all know is a possibility! These schools seem to changer the rules all the time after all. I still think that a student can still find the alternative credit, since they only need 6 UL history classes, and those can still be obtained! Without SDC , and assuming they do the partnership, it would look like 3 from EC, 1 UExcel, 2 from Coopersmith ( also approved as UL history electives )

Adding a course at EC (beyond the 13cr you can get for cheap) would add $1290 onto a degree plan - a bit steep in my opinion.  It would go from costing $5850 to $7140. Yikes.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Based on the previous posts, what about:

Sophia:
US History 1 (LL)
US History 2 (LL)

Olivet Nazarine:
HIS 379 - Latin American History (UL)

UExcel:
World Conflicts (UL)

Excelsior classes:
UL American history (UL)
UL European history (UL)
History capstone (UL)

Sterling College ($145/credit):
Any UL class (UL)

OnlineDegree.com
HIS 103 (Equivalency HIS 121: World History II) (LL)

Study.com:
Any 2 History courses (2 LL)

Unfortunately, "Eastern European Jewish Immigration and Settlement in the United States (HIS-301)" from Coopersmith is reported to come in as a LL option and not UL. You could contact Excelsior about that and "Jewish Participation in the Garment Industry (HIS-302)" to confirm, though.

Also, the DSST is no longer recommended as UL credit so that might not work (for much longer).
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I've decided to go with UMPI. I sent them an email to the admissions address since it was the only one i could find, turns out it's for on campus students only. I've been told to fill out the request info form where you can only put in a US phone number, which I don't have. So does anyone know how I might contact them to get some more info? I would like to avoid calling them if possible since out of country calls are extremely expensive with my phone provider.
Sign up for either TextFree or DingTone to get a US phone number. Calls using these apps are extremely affordable.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(06-04-2021, 11:13 AM)ammandaajk Wrote: I've decided to go with UMPI. I sent them an email to the admissions address since it was the only one i could find, turns out it's for on campus students only. I've been told to fill out the request info form where you can only put in a US phone number, which I don't have. So does anyone know how I might contact them to get some more info? I would like to avoid calling them if possible since out of country calls are extremely expensive with my phone provider.

You need to apply online through the website. That's how they do the YourPace application. You can sign up for a free phone number with Google Voice. It's an app you can receive and make calls. It's 100% free. You also need to use the https://online.umpi.edu/ website not the umpi.edu one which is for on campus students. You'll need a phone number for the application as the enrollment counselor will call you throughout the application process.
I'm not sure that you can get a US Google Voice number if you don't have a US phone number already. Dingtone and TextFree are more international. Technically, they are free as well but you have to watch a lot of ads to get minutes. Or you can pay for minutes. Cost depends on the app.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(06-04-2021, 01:08 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not sure that you can get a US Google Voice number if you don't have a US phone number already. Dingtone and TextFree are more international. Technically, they are free as well but you have to watch a lot of ads to get minutes. Or you can pay for minutes. Cost depends on the app.

Google Voice is available outside of the US. It's not available in all countries.
Thank you for the app recommendations!

Is there a plan like there is for the big 3 what courses to take from Sophia, study.com or straighterline to fullfil the GEC and electives?
(06-20-2021, 10:08 AM)ammandaajk Wrote: Thank you for the app recommendations!

Is there a plan like there is for the big 3 what courses to take from Sophia, study.com or straighterline to fullfil the GEC and electives?

Right now, the only finalized degree plan is available here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 and it's not for the history degree. But I think the GEC is the same. I think current UMPI students have access to a list of which SDC courses come in as what, so maybe one of them can look up whether or not any history courses have been transferred in yet. 

BABA: 40 GEC credits, 18-21 electives, the rest in the major & concentration.

History: 40 GEC credits, 31-32 electives, the rest in the major & concentration. You also need SIX credits of Spanish or French to the other degrees' three.

Without knowing for sure, I would suggest the following possibilities:
  • POS 101: American Government - InstantCert
  • POS 211: Introduction to Political Thought - UMPI
  • FRE 101: Elementary French 1 - No
  • SPA 101: Elementary Spanish 1 - Spanish 101 @ SDC
  • FRE 102: Elementary French 2 - No
  • SPA-102: Elementary Spanish 2 - Spanish 102 @ SDC
  • HTY 301: Medieval Europe - UMPI
  • HTY 454: Slavery in United States - UMPI
  • HTY 315: Greece, Rome, and the Early Church - UMPI
  • HTY 350: U.S. Environmental History - UMPI
  • HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History - UMPI
  • HTY 456: Films of the Cold War - UMPI
  • HTY 401: Oral History - UMPI
  • HTY 115: World Civilization 1 - UMPI
  • HTY 116: World Civilization 2 - UMPI
  • HTY 161: U.S. History 1 - Sophia
  • HTY 162: U.S. History 2 - Sophia
  • HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars - History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War @ SDC or take at UMPI
There is also this page for Sophia transfer equivalents: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents Between all this, you should be able to come up with a plan to at least come pretty close to hitting the golden number of 90 transfer credits.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
(06-20-2021, 10:49 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(06-20-2021, 10:08 AM)ammandaajk Wrote: Thank you for the app recommendations!

Right now, the only finalized degree plan is available here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 and it's not for the history degree. But I think the GEC is the same. I think current UMPI students have access to a list of which SDC courses come in as what, so maybe one of them can look up whether or not any history courses have been transferred in yet. 

BABA: 40 GEC credits, 18-21 electives, the rest in the major & concentration.

History: 40 GEC credits, 31-32 electives, the rest in the major & concentration. You also need SIX credits of Spanish or French to the other degrees' three.

Without knowing for sure, I would suggest the following possibilities:
  • POS 101: American Government - InstantCert
  • FRE 101: Elementary French 1 - No
  • SPA 101: Elementary Spanish 1 - Spanish 101 @ SDC
  • FRE 102: Elementary French 2 - No
  • SPA-102: Elementary Spanish 2 - Spanish 102 @ SDC
  • HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History - UMPI
  • HTY 456: Films of the Cold War - UMPI
  • HTY 401: Oral History - UMPI
  • HTY 115: World Civilization 1 - UMPI
  • HTY 116: World Civilization 2 - UMPI
  • HTY 161: U.S. History 1 - Sophia
  • HTY 162: U.S. History 2 - Sophia
  • HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars - History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War @ SDC or take at UMPI
There is also this page for Sophia transfer equivalents: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents Between all this, you should be able to come up with a plan to at least come pretty close to hitting the golden number of 90 transfer credits.

An alternative would be to do Spanish 1 at InstaCert, which is also cheaper. 
HTY 115 & 116 - World civilization 1 & 2 can be done at straighterline or SDC.

This leaves 8 upper level courses to be done at UMPI: 
  • HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History - UMPI
  • HTY 456: Films of the Cold War - UMPI
  • HTY 401: Oral History - UMPI
  • HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars - UMPI
In addition to 
and 
  • HUM 103: Creative Decision Making - UMPI
As far as I understand the rules, it is difficult to transfer in HUM 103(correct me if I am wrong), so the student might as well do the course at UMPI. 

This will make a total of 10 courses, and will exactly fulfill the credit residency requirement. I am personally considering doing the history major at UMPI, and this was what I came up with as the most efficient ACE/UMPI combination of courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 3 83 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 16 175 7 hours ago
Last Post: walruspanda
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 255 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,844 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 555 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 237 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM