Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History Degree
Spanish 1 can be done at InstantCert, yes. But if you need both then I would use SDC for both because of overlapping content. Doing both at SDC could wind up being faster and easier than doing one at SDC and one at InstantCert.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(06-22-2021, 04:50 PM)JannikT Wrote: Right now, the only finalized degree plan is available here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-for-3-222 and it's not for the history degree. But I think the GEC is the same. I think current UMPI students have access to a list of which SDC courses come in as what, so maybe one of them can look up whether or not any history courses have been transferred in yet. 

BABA: 40 GEC credits, 18-21 electives, the rest in the major & concentration.

History: 40 GEC credits, 31-32 electives, the rest in the major & concentration. You also need SIX credits of Spanish or French to the other degrees' three.

Without knowing for sure, I would suggest the following possibilities:
  • POS 101: American Government - InstantCert
  • POS 211: Introduction to Political Thought - UMPI
  • FRE 101: Elementary French 1 - No
  • SPA 101: Elementary Spanish 1 - Spanish 101 @ SDC
  • FRE 102: Elementary French 2 - No
  • SPA-102: Elementary Spanish 2 - Spanish 102 @ SDC
  • HTY 301: Medieval Europe - UMPI
  • HTY 454: Slavery in United States - UMPI
  • HTY 315: Greece, Rome, and the Early Church - UMPI
  • HTY 350: U.S. Environmental History - UMPI
  • HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History - UMPI
  • HTY 456: Films of the Cold War - UMPI
  • HTY 401: Oral History - UMPI
  • HTY 115: World Civilization 1 - UMPI
  • HTY 116: World Civilization 2 - UMPI
  • HTY 161: U.S. History 1 - Sophia
  • HTY 162: U.S. History 2 - Sophia
  • HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars - History 308: Causes and Effects of the Vietnam War @ SDC or take at UMPI
There is also this page for Sophia transfer equivalents: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents Between all this, you should be able to come up with a plan to at least come pretty close to hitting the golden number of 90 transfer credits.

An alternative would be to do Spanish 1 at InstaCert, which is also cheaper. 
HTY 115 & 116 - World civilization 1 & 2 can be done at straighterline or SDC.

This leaves 8 upper level courses to be done at UMPI: 
  • HTY 301: Medieval Europe - UMPI
  • HTY 454: Slavery in United States - UMPI
  • HTY 315: Greece, Rome, and the Early Church - UMPI
  • HTY 350: U.S. Environmental History - UMPI
  • HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History - UMPI
  • HTY 456: Films of the Cold War - UMPI
  • HTY 401: Oral History - UMPI
  • HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars - UMPI
In addition to 
  • POS 211: Introduction to Political Thought - UMPI
and 
  • HUM 103: Creative Decision Making - UMPI
As far as I understand the rules, it is difficult to transfer in HUM 103(correct me if I am wrong), so the student might as well do the course at UMPI. 

This will make a total of 10 courses, and will exactly fulfill the credit residency requirement. I am personally considering doing the history major at UMPI, and this was what I came up with as the most efficient ACE/UMPI combination of courses.

If one already has completed a studio art course at another college then you can transfer that in typically to fill that GEC requirement. If not then you have to take HUM103 at UMPI. before taking those Study.com history and Spanish courses you may want to check with UMPI that they will transfer in as you hope. They've been reevaluating Study.com courses and how they transfer in. You also have to complete a specific number of UL courses at UMPI. Each degree plan has a specific number required in the major and outside of the major to be completed. This is in addition to the 30 credit minimum.

Something else to consider with Study.com courses is the time and cost. Some of their course have a number of papers to write. At UMPI you have 1 paper to write. Study is $200 a month and you're limited to 2 exams. More than that and you're paying $70 per exam with a cap of 3 additional exams. Then there's the proctors which if you're not comfortable with is something to consider.
(06-22-2021, 04:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Spanish 1 can be done at InstantCert, yes. But if you need both then I would use SDC for both because of overlapping content. Doing both at SDC could wind up being faster and easier than doing one at SDC and one at InstantCert.
Yes, I see what your point is. 
Spanish 1 and 2 are designed to complement each other, which probably implies that there will be little if any overlap. Doing both at SDC is probably the better option.

(06-22-2021, 05:01 PM)ss20ts Wrote: If one already has completed a studio art course at another college then you can transfer that in typically to fill that GEC requirement. If not then you have to take HUM103 at UMPI. before taking those Study.com history and Spanish courses you may want to check with UMPI that they will transfer in as you hope. They've been reevaluating Study.com courses and how they transfer in. You also have to complete a specific number of UL courses at UMPI. Each degree plan has a specific number required in the major and outside of the major to be completed. This is in addition to the 30 credit minimum.

Something else to consider with Study.com courses is the time and cost. Some of their course have a number of papers to write. At UMPI you have 1 paper to write. Study is $200 a month and you're limited to 2 exams. More than that and you're paying $70 per exam with a cap of 3 additional exams. Then there's the proctors which if you're not comfortable with is something to consider.

I suspect most students do not have a studio arts course to transfer in from another college, but if they have one, it is an obvious choice to transfer in as a GED course.
The degree plan is based on registrered succesful transfers to UMPI. Since UMPI is evaluating SDC courses for transfer currently, I will just have to wait and see if they make any changes. Thx for letting me know btw. 
As far as I can see, the history major only requires 8 UL courses for the major, and 16 courses in total. Is there a rule that requires a student to complete a certain number of UL electives? I am not aware of such a rule, but if you are, please let me and other potential students know. The information I have gathered comes mainly from the UMPI YourPace online page. 

Yes, SDC is not particularly cheap. But it is still cheaper paying 200$(+70$ for each additional course, up to three), compared to paying 1400/2 per month at UMPI. If you have a lot of spare time at your disposal, UMPI might be the better choice. If you are working full time however, I would advice doing SDC/Straighterline courses instead. It all depends, I guess.
(06-22-2021, 05:47 PM)JannikT Wrote: I suspect most students do not have a studio arts course to transfer in from another college, but if they have one, it is an obvious choice to transfer in as a GED course.
The degree plan is based on registrered succesful transfers to UMPI. Since UMPI is evaluating SDC courses for transfer currently, I will just have to wait and see if they make any changes. Thx for letting me know btw. 
As far as I can see, the history major only requires 8 UL courses for the major, and 16 courses in total. Is there a rule that requires a student to complete a certain number of UL electives? I am not aware of such a rule, but if you are, please let me and other potential students know. The information I have gathered comes mainly from the UMPI YourPace online page. 

Yes, SDC is not particularly cheap. But it is still cheaper paying 200$(+70$ for each additional course, up to three), compared to paying 1400/2 per month at UMPI. If you have a lot of spare time at your disposal, UMPI might be the better choice. If you are working full time however, I would advice doing SDC/Straighterline courses instead. It all depends, I guess.

Yes UMPI has UL requirements for every degree plan. Some of the UL's are in the major and some are outside the major. The number for each category varies based on the degree. I haven't completed the history degree so I can't tell you how many will fall into each category. I can tell you how they were in the BLS because I completed the BLS. I have discussed the UL requirements on here numerous times. All of the info regarding the YourPace degrees is not on the YourPace website. All YourPace students are subject to the University of Maine systems requirements including the GEC and general electives. 

UL courses on Study have papers - more than one usually - that's why UMPI can be a better option. There's only 1 paper with UMPI and you're done with the course and moving onto the next. Your speed on Study and UMPI all depend on you - how much time you dedicate and how motivated you are. Many people don't complete a course in a month on Study. I don't recommend StraighterLine because of the cost and how slow the classes are. They're also all LL which you can complete faster and cheaper on Sophia. One other thing to consider. UMPI are RA credits where as Study, StraighterLine, and Sophia are just ACE credits. If you're not 100% sure about committing to UMPI at least you would have earned RA credits which are easily transferable almost anywhere and you'd have RA credits which are a requirement at COSC and TESU. That could be a big deal for someone if they don't like the UMPI program and decide to transfer to one of those 2 schools.
(06-23-2021, 01:00 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-22-2021, 05:47 PM)JannikT Wrote: I suspect most students do not have a studio arts course to transfer in from another college, but if they have one, it is an obvious choice to transfer in as a GED course.

Yes UMPI has UL requirements for every degree plan. Some of the UL's are in the major and some are outside the major. The number for each category varies based on the degree. I haven't completed the history degree so I can't tell you how many will fall into each category. I can tell you how they were in the BLS because I completed the BLS. I have discussed the UL requirements on here numerous times. All of the info regarding the YourPace degrees is not on the YourPace website. All YourPace students are subject to the University of Maine systems requirements including the GEC and general electives. 

UL courses on Study have papers - more than one usually - that's why UMPI can be a better option. There's only 1 paper with UMPI and you're done with the course and moving onto the next. Your speed on Study and UMPI all depend on you - how much time you dedicate and how motivated you are. Many people don't complete a course in a month on Study. I don't recommend StraighterLine because of the cost and how slow the classes are. They're also all LL which you can complete faster and cheaper on Sophia. One other thing to consider. UMPI are RA credits where as Study, StraighterLine, and Sophia are just ACE credits. If you're not 100% sure about committing to UMPI at least you would have earned RA credits which are easily transferable almost anywhere and you'd have RA credits which are a requirement at COSC and TESU. That could be a big deal for someone if they don't like the UMPI program and decide to transfer to one of those 2 schools.
Ok, thats good to know. If I want to know what the UL (outside the major) requirements are for a history/political science degree, do you know where I can find the relevant information? I do find it rather strange that UMPI does not inform prospective students of all the relevant details on the YourPace page. 
Yes please tell what the UL requirements are for the BLS degree?

The workload, based on required papers submitted per course, is offcourse a relevant factor to consider. I will bear that in mind. I have no idea what it is like to  do a course at SDC, as I have only done a bunch of Sophia courses so far. But the common experience is that STD is more demanding and less flexible due to proctored exams. 
And yes, if you plan on transferring to another college, then RA credits are far more valuable than ACE credits. This is not something I am considering doing, but it might be relevant for other students. 

The only reason I mentioned Straighterline, is that the courses transfer 1:1 to UMPI. At least according to their homepage. 
The whole setup of SL seems a bit slow and outdated, but my impression is that the courses are quite rigourous. There are not many users on this this site that recommend doing SL, and this is probably for a good reason.
(06-23-2021, 01:55 PM)JannikT Wrote: The only reason I mentioned Straighterline, is that the courses transfer 1:1 to UMPI. At least according to their homepage. 
The whole setup of SL seems a bit slow and outdated, but my impression is that the courses are quite rigourous. There are not many users on this this site that recommend doing SL, and this is probably for a good reason.

SL isn't recommended mainly for cost reasons. SL used to be the go-to for LL credit. However, since Sophia dropped their per-course fee of $330 (IIRC) and went to an unlimited monthly subscription model, Sophia has been the way to go. SL is still a good option for some courses such as Calculus.

As I understand it, some SL courses are significantly easier to pass than the equivalent SDC ones due to the way the points are structured. On the other hand, SDC's science-with-lab courses are easier than SL's courses because SL requires a physical lab kit while SDC's is virtual.

It's too bad that StraighterLine doesn't offer any UL courses. They could be more competition for Study.com.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • JannikT
(06-04-2021, 01:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-04-2021, 01:08 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm not sure that you can get a US Google Voice number if you don't have a US phone number already. Dingtone and TextFree are more international. Technically, they are free as well but you have to watch a lot of ads to get minutes. Or you can pay for minutes. Cost depends on the app.

Google Voice is available outside of the US. It's not available in all countries.

FYI, Google Voice is NOT available if you don't already have a US phone number. (Perhaps Canadian is okay?) The other day I wanted to confirm a Google Voice number and it popped up an error saying that I needed to input a US number and not one from another country.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
I am slowly working on a History degree myself. Now I do take classes online each semester but sometimes take classes that help my hobbies/small business instead of history. For UL I prefer in-person classes or with a professor I know I can work with. I did transfer in several from University of Alaska to TESU, and have taken Sofia US History 1 and 2 again. There is a limit to previous degrees transferring over. They are needed even though I have already taken them before via B&M. The UL can be done from Study.com. I have actually been to UMPI in Maine and it's a nice school. I will consider getting evaluated there just to see if more credits can carry over.

So you have options and EC may work for you since everyone's situation is different.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 29 366 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 129 9 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 268 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,471 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,849 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 174 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 947 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  IT Degree Options Advice theredwallflower 4 560 03-23-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: theredwallflower
  Metropolia for quick bachelor's degree to get in a master's program klicer 5 285 03-21-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: klicer
  Seeking Guidance on beginning degree BeginAgain_1980 9 238 03-20-2024, 04:13 PM