Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History degree questions
Hi all,

I am considering getting my degree in history, but I'm a bit concerned about the speed at UMPI.  I feel like I'm not going to learn the material well, and really get to delve into it like I would if I went to a "regular" school.  So I guess my question is, how much am I actually learning?  Am I going to be racing through and skipping important things in order to finish the course quickly and move on?

Also, will they accept other history courses to be transferred in?  Like, if I had some previous UL history credits, will they take them in the major, or do they want these specific courses only?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
As long as the other credits are accredited they should transfer in. I transferred in quite a few UL History credits from APUS and a ton of LL from old community college credits.

I am almost done with the History degree but I am not quite ready to post my feelings publicly on it as a whole (speed, depth, etc.) at this point. Feel free to private message me any questions and I will answer the best I can. By mid-November, I will have finished all the classes at UMPI for the degree.
BA History & Political Science - History Concentration - UMPI - 2021
Done- Waiting for degree conferral 

AA Graphic Design - Penn Foster - 2010 
TMcClary Wrote:As long as the other credits are accredited they should transfer in. I transferred in quite a few UL History credits from APUS and a ton of LL from old community college credits.

I am almost done with the History degree but I am not quite ready to post my feelings publicly on it as a whole (speed, depth, etc.) at this point. Feel free to private message me any questions and I will answer the best I can. By mid-November, I will have finished all the classes at UMPI for the degree.

Hi. Did they take your transfer credits from the UL History into the concentration, or did they move them to general education or electives?
I am curious, and wondering, How many courses in total did you take from UMPI? YourPace is a viable option for a "general" History degree.

For YourPace: Students must complete 48 credit hours of History concentration courses.
Students must also choose 6 credit hours of a foreign language—either Spanish or French.

POS 101: American Government
POS 211: Introduction to Political Thought
FRE 101: Elementary French 1
SPA 101: Elementary Spanish 1
FRE 102: Elementary French 2
SPA-102: Elementary Spanish 2

HTY 115: World Civilization 1
HTY 116: World Civilization 2
HTY 161: U.S. History 1
HTY 162: U.S. History 2

HTY 301: Medieval Europe
HTY 315: Greece, Rome, and the Early Church
HTY 350: U.S. Environmental History
HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History
HTY 401: Oral History
HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars
HTY 454: Slavery in United States
HTY 456: Films of the Cold War

There are a few that are Upper Level and I don't think Study.com has any that can be transferred in to satisfy these.
I believe Study.com would transfer in as elective credits, except for a couple or a few of these lower level courses.

If you have some extra previous History courses to spare, it can go into your general education and electives areas.
The list above only shows 8 UL history courses, you will need to take 2 more courses to round out the minimum of 10.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(10-31-2021, 01:23 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Hi all,

I am considering getting my degree in history, but I'm a bit concerned about the speed at UMPI.  I feel like I'm not going to learn the material well, and really get to delve into it like I would if I went to a "regular" school.  So I guess my question is, how much am I actually learning?  Am I going to be racing through and skipping important things in order to finish the course quickly and move on?

Also, will they accept other history courses to be transferred in?  Like, if I had some previous UL history credits, will they take them in the major, or do they want these specific courses only?

I feel the same way about the computer classes, with databases and programming, I'm passing the classes, but I don't feel they are really what is necessary to succeed in the field, its like a a general overview. (Which I've decided I'm ok, I want to be able to just apply the principles.)
SNHU- Associates of Arts 8/2021
UMPI - BLS- Educational Studies and Information Systems 
Starting August 30, 2021 - Goal: December 2021 

Sophia LLC, Straighterline, InstantCert, Study.com)

(Follow my degree plan HERE)

Current Mood: Motivated, but tired as heck!
(10-31-2021, 02:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
TMcClary Wrote:As long as the other credits are accredited they should transfer in. I transferred in quite a few UL History credits from APUS and a ton of LL from old community college credits.

Hi.  Did they take your transfer credits from the UL History into the concentration, or did they move them to general education or electives?  
I am curious, and wondering, How many courses in total did you take from UMPI?  YourPace is a viable option for a "general" History degree.

For YourPace: Students must complete 48 credit hours of History concentration courses.
Students must also choose 6 credit hours of a foreign language—either Spanish or French.

POS 101: American Government
POS 211: Introduction to Political Thought
FRE 101: Elementary French 1
SPA 101: Elementary Spanish 1
FRE 102: Elementary French 2
SPA-102: Elementary Spanish 2

HTY 115: World Civilization 1
HTY 116: World Civilization 2
HTY 161: U.S. History 1
HTY 162: U.S. History 2

HTY 301: Medieval Europe
HTY 315: Greece, Rome, and the Early Church
HTY 350: U.S. Environmental History
HTY 400: Discovering and Interpreting Local History
HTY 401: Oral History
HTY 439: The Vietnam Wars
HTY 454: Slavery in United States
HTY 456: Films of the Cold War

There are a few that are Upper Level and I don't think Study.com has any that can be transferred in to satisfy these.
I believe Study.com would transfer in as elective credits, except for a couple or a few of these lower level courses.

If you have some extra previous History courses to spare, it can go into your general education and electives areas.
The list above only shows 8 UL history courses, you will need to take 2 more courses to round out the minimum of 10.
Yes. My UL credits transferred into the concentration. I had a Medieval History UL for pre-Modern, Colonial America for US History, and Historical Research Methods as an UL History elective. 

An important bit of information is that you do not need to take the exact courses you have listed here for the UL. There is a list of requirements to fill (pre-modern, non-western, US.) that must be filled, but for most there are more classes to choose from. The rest of the requirements are considered history electives and you can choose any that are available. This is not explained well on the website. Also, HTY 315 is not currently available. 

I have taken:

POS 211
HTY 116 
HTY 377 Modern China
HTY 439
HTY 454
HTY 456
Early Modern Europe (can’t remember the class number off the top of my head)

I am taking 2 LL General Ed classes now (nearly done) and Spanish 2 at study.com

I need one more elective for my 30 credits which I think will be the Arab-Israeli Conflict (again no idea what the number is). I could take an “easier” class but I have trouble staying motivated without a challenge.
BA History & Political Science - History Concentration - UMPI - 2021
Done- Waiting for degree conferral 

AA Graphic Design - Penn Foster - 2010 

My opinion is if you want to learn something new, then CBL is not the right path. The reason why most end up racing through and not having to dive too deep into a particular course is because they already have vast experience in it. For me, it would be great to have a different degree other than what I've been doing for the past 20 years. But doing that would not be feasible given the time constraints in my personal life. Plus it's also more important for me to have a degree which I know I could get using going the competency based route.
[-] The following 2 users Like carebear_007's post:
  • Blkqueen8, Federicojavier
There's a saying, "a mile wide and inch deep", and unfortunately a lot of college subjects are taught in that manner.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • Blkqueen8

Well, a student can do exactly what the program name implies: e.g., if you take 2 courses in 8-week term, your pace will be quite similar to the speed at more traditional programs.

To put things in perspective: I enrolled at one upper level history classes. YMMV, but for me there was no way to race though that class as I did not have much prior knowledge about the topic. My estimate would be solid 4 weeks, so I would be able to retain knowledge. In contrary, I have experience and prior knowledge in accounting, so I mostly skimmed through the accounting classes and spent bulk of my time working on finals.
MSML, WGU 2022
BAS, UMPI, 2021
AAS, Pierpont C&TC, 2021

ACE (119): Sophia, 93; TEEX, 5; SDC, 12; ACTFL, 6
RA (50): ASU, 8; ONU, 3; UMPI, 39
NA (16) : UoPeople, 16
Other: ENEB/Isabel I, MBA (2021)
Also dropped a gazillion of classes!!

Family members work on degrees at Ashworth, TESU, Purdue, UMPI, NationsU

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Undergraduate Degree Liberal Studies w/ a Minor in Psychology molov 1 49 Yesterday, 06:40 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BLS Degree Options Question dm.hans32 3 198 04-17-2024, 10:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 4 404 04-12-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: mohelena02
  Yourpace psychology degree PSY 496: Practicum Schlafen 12 1,574 04-02-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Am I on the right path for any BLS degree rme1987 11 517 03-27-2024, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 508 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 564 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Non-Degree Enrollment PreLawCoastie 0 242 03-02-2024, 06:33 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  I earned an Honors BLS Degree with Two Minors in 8 days!! basicunitoflife 34 3,656 03-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: laknight
  Questions about course selection beikaRAY 2 221 03-01-2024, 12:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77