Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History of Degree "Hacking"
I'm working on a homemade documentary about (for lack of a better term) "degree hacking" and using non-traditional credit to earn large portions of a degree. 

Does anyone know how this all got started or know any of the forefathers/mothers of what we do? 

I got my degree from TESU in 2012, but this has been going on a lot longer than that, and I think it'd be super cool to start creating a history of it.
It goes back to at least a book published by Bear decades ago. And how do you define non-traditional credit? If I understand the family story correctly, my grandfather finished his colled degree with some correspondence courses. My great-grandfather read the law - and passed the bar with a very high score.

Today's non-traditional was yesterday's norm.
(07-10-2020, 08:27 AM)LongRoad Wrote: It goes back to at least a book published by Bear decades ago. And how do you define non-traditional credit? If I understand the family story correctly, my grandfather finished his colled degree with some correspondence courses. My great-grandfather read the law - and passed the bar with a very high score.

Today's non-traditional was yesterday's norm.

That's a really good point. It may not be so unusual as it feels especially since CLEP/DSST go back to the late 60's. What's that book? I've never heard of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bear

"Bear's Guide..." He did a lot of work with distance education and exposing degree mills. I think his recommendation of TESC and alternative credits was a reaction to him exposing so many degree mills. Basically, "Here's what to avoid. Now, here's how you can achieve what you were trying to do with the diploma mill."

I would also look into Lawrie Miller's bain4weeks.com. It's all out of date now, but it was so many people's first introduction to degree hacking. I believe people still stumble in here from that website, if I'm not mistaken. Or they did in 2009, at least.

As far as I've been able to figure, degree hacking has had different phases or generations. Bear popularized it initially with, at the time, TESC. But, word could only spread as far as his book. Once things got online, the information was seen by many more people. To be honest though, it is still a relatively small and niche group. Not a lot of people even know about CLEP and that is, or at least was, advertised at the B&M schools I attended. Even a lot of school staff is unfamiliar.

Anyway, that should be a good start for you. It's all just connecting the dots from there. And others are way more knowledgeable about the history than me. If I got something wrong, you guys chime in.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • jch
BAin4Weeks is how I got started on this path. I didn't have the money at the time to do that option (unfortunately) but when I started looking more seriously, I found this place.
(07-10-2020, 12:21 PM)rachel83az Wrote: BAin4Weeks is how I got started on this path. I didn't have the money at the time to do that option (unfortunately) but when I started looking more seriously, I found this place.

I think the BAin4Weeks site is what got me interested in degree hacking initially as well. That was in the 2009-2010 timeframe. Though I didn't really start trying to figure out how to make it work for me until 2010-2011, which is when I stumbled upon this site and started to get involved.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
The Big 3 started in 1971

USNY (now Excelsior College) in 1971 is the first RA assessment College!  
TESC was next in 1972
COSC was 3rd in 1973
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

[-] The following 1 user Likes Life Long Learning's post:
  • jch
Hmm, essentially like a few others... I started with the Bear Guides during the mid/late 90's, there were so many editions with amazing updates, then it was the BAin4weeks (he has a site for Masters too BTW), and the majority of the time I was also lurking on this board and the sister board before I became a member in 2002 of DI.  My family (and extended family) started an educational business geared towards tutor students and helping them with applying for/choosing a program suited for their goals.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
All, this is very, very helpful. Thank you so much for your contributions to my research. I may send some more questions but I have a lot to dig through first!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 541 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 488 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  House Hacking: How Financially Savvy People Live in Expensive Markets LevelUP 4 792 03-05-2022, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  How has getting a degree from the Big Three (and others) changed your career or life? schristian10 3 929 01-21-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: williammosher
  Dr. Amy Cuddy 8 years for 1 degree ashkir 3 950 07-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Degree Forgery Alpha 8 1,567 04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
  Excelsior Graduate earns Master's degree. Oh yeah, she's 14 MNomadic 7 1,634 06-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  For Sale: Southeastern US Bachelor Degree Granting College bjcheung77 6 1,953 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  Free Udemy-Practical Ethical Hacking course-today Imbanewbie 4 1,377 04-04-2020, 04:36 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8