Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hobbies
(09-19-2017, 11:17 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 11:15 PM)Thorne Wrote: Reading and studies (history, war, philosophy, some linguistics, the occasional novel, and odd bits hither and thither), armor and weaponry (Ancient to Modern), trying (and failing) to invent new ideas or devices, and low-level data analysis for fun (and profit? not sure).

If I had the time, I would do a deep dive into a few languages (Italian, Classical Latin, Ancient Greek, Spanish, Japanese, and at least conversational French), pursue a PhD (or two), and start a YouTube (or equivalent) channel to share various bits of educational joy with anyone who is interested.

I would like to do a PhD for fun, read novels, and work on languages... I don't think I will have time for most of them!

I probably won't either. I intend to learn Italian and Spanish even if it takes me twenty years at ten minutes a day.

If I cull some of my studies (ignore war and novels), I'd have more time for linguistics, but a PhD still seems largely unattainable unless I'm willing to give up large swathes of my day whilst working full-time for multiple years.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I love playing computer games, sometimes it is RL (Rocket League) and sometimes PoE (Path of Exile).
I also collect Warhammer FB figurines. Best site for buy PoE & RL items https://Odealo.com
(09-20-2017, 10:54 AM)Thorne Wrote:
(09-19-2017, 11:17 PM)Ideas Wrote: I would like to do a PhD for fun, read novels, and work on languages... I don't think I will have time for most of them!

I probably won't either. I intend to learn Italian and Spanish even if it takes me twenty years at ten minutes a day.

If I cull some of my studies (ignore war and novels), I'd have more time for linguistics, but a PhD still seems largely unattainable unless I'm willing to give up large swathes of my day whilst working full-time for multiple years.

I would like to do a PhD slowly, but I think most schools have some limit on years.

I'm a Ham radio operator, just recorded the International Space Station fly over this week communicating with a school in Normal IL.
Don't forget that gaining college credit by taking exams is one of the reason's we're here. That's mainly possible through the flashcards made available by the owner of this forum : InstantCert Plus of course your hard work in learning and reviewing
Current Credits

Irish Education

FETAC Level 6 Adv Cert in Admin

Spreadsheets 5 U.S credits A ,Word Processing 2.5 U.S credits A
Business Management 5.0 U.S credits A Web Authoring 2.5 U.S credits A Communications 5.0 U.S credits A Manual and Computerized Bookkeeping 2.5 U.S Credits A

ECDL (European Computer Drivers License) ICS SKILLS 5 credits

Strayer University Marketing 100 (paid for by Starbucks) A 4.5 quarter hours
CLEP U.S History I 74, U.S History II 69, Western Civ II 61, Western Civ I 64, HG&D 60, Humanities 60, biz law 67,Am Gov 57.
DSST: Biz ethics & s 450, Art WW 424
EC CCS 120 A , EC ENG 101 A, EC BUS 312 H.R A , EC ENG 102 A,
B&M ACC 151 B, B&M ACC 152 (starting) Nat Scies,
[-] The following 1 user Likes EI2HCB's post:
  • Life Long Learning
That is awesome, very cool. I bought a cheap 2m radio to tinker with, after school and then maybe an EMT-B cert this upcoming year, I plan to get a technician license.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

I like to:

hunt and fish- mostly duck/dove/squirrel, and redfish/flounder/bass/catfish. More than half the time from my kayak.

firearms and stuff- like plinking with 22LR. Also have broken down/cleaned/fixed several WW2 rifles.

vegetable gardening- small plots. Root vegetables, greens, okra, beans, cucurbits, corn, etc.

DIY home repairs- I think I've done it all at some point.

Travel- I like road trips and have been to 47 US states, plus maybe 4 Canadian provinces. Right now I live in Costa Rica.

Ugh, and I'm a little bit into coin collecting. International coins, but nothing real pricey or rare. And I'm a silver bug.

GEEZ. I never realized how many hobbies I have, it's a wonder I get any real work done Sad
College (146): RA (134), NA (12)
ACE-recommended (105): Sophia (53), Study (28), Google (12), TEEX (10), Institutes (2)
ECTS (69): ENEB (65), LUT (2), XAMK (2)
IN PROGRESS:

Certificate- Google Data Analytics
Bachelor- Cybersecurity Technology (105/120) /
 Organizational Leadership (99/120)
Certification- CompTIA A+
DONE:
Certificate- Google IT Support

Associates- Business Administration /  BoG (History)
Undergrad certificate- Computer Networking
MBA
[-] The following 1 user Likes StoicJ's post:
  • Joeman200
(11-06-2017, 06:50 PM)StoicJ Wrote: ...

firearms and stuff- like plinking with 22LR. Also have broken down/cleaned/fixed several WW2 rifles.

... Right now I live in Costa Rica.
are you or your family from Costa Rica originally ? 
if not, what are the firearm laws down there for immigrants ? 
also land owning laws ?
I know immigrants can't own land in Thailand 
and you have to be freaking rich to immigrate to New Zealand
(11-06-2017, 06:50 PM)StoicJ Wrote: GEEZ. I never realized how many hobbies I have, it's a wonder I get any real work done Sad

It seems like a normal amount of hobbies to me.

Mostly school is my hobby. I'm learning two languages right now and working on some masters courses that are just for fun.

I also own a horse and try to get out and ride when I can.

I bake wedding cakes once in a while for family and friends.

We are remodeling our kitchen / pantry / mudroom / laundry room so it seems that is taking up all my time (and money) right now.

And then parenting... That is 24/7 and means I'm the cook, maid, Uber driver, etc.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Marvin is the name . . . And CHESS is my game. I also like to create my own algebra problems and solve it myself Smile
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone do any trades or hobbies? yb1 48 4,513 08-10-2015, 09:37 AM
Last Post: dposborne