Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hodges or certificate?
I am planning on going to a residential master's program. As much as I'd like to do that this upcoming fall, I think I'll be better served waiting until fall 2019 so I will have my current student loans and credit debt paid off. In the meantime, I have a family member that is willing to pay for ~$4000 of classes for me. (Roughly the cost of me opting out of an international trip the family is taking because timing doesn't work for me.) I'm trying to decide if I should use that towards an attempt to complete the Hodges Upower MPA or some other certificate program. I don't "need" the MPA, but it would eliminate some of the application requirements for the other masters programs, plus possibly provide some better recommendation letters. My concern is if I don't complete the degree in one 6 month term, am I going to look bad abandoning the program? The certificates I've been looking at are definitely realistic to complete within the year.
In my opinion, it will just look like you decided to do another Masters instead of MPA. It wouldn't look bad because you will have completed more than a typical Masters student does.

But if they're certificates that are very applicable to what you want to do in the future, that might be worth it.

(12-30-2017, 11:57 PM)DavidHume Wrote: I am planning on going to a residential master's program. As much as I'd like to do that this upcoming fall, I think I'll be better served waiting until fall 2019 so I will have my current student loans and credit debt paid off. In the meantime, I have a family member that is willing to pay for ~$4000 of classes for me. (Roughly the cost of me opting out of an international trip the family is taking because timing doesn't work for me.) I'm trying to decide if I should use that towards an attempt to complete the Hodges Upower MPA or some other certificate program. I don't "need" the MPA, but it would eliminate some of the application requirements for the other masters programs, plus possibly provide some better recommendation letters. My concern is if I don't complete the degree in one 6 month term, am I going to look bad abandoning the program? The certificates I've been looking at are definitely realistic to complete within the year.

What Masters do you plan on attending?  Some schools will not let you get a second masters in a similar subject.

What is the transfer policy for the Masters you want?  Could you pursue a certificate that would transfer into that masters and reduce the time and cost associated with it?
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
It's been suggested I use the funds to refine foreign language skills in German, French, or something that might aid research capabilities. I'm planning on an MA in philosophy. My only solid reading language outside of English is Latin (thanks to high school decades ago). I've taken courses in German, French, Italian, Swedish, and Russian, but am mostly remedial in all. German may be my strongest. I live in a Russian speaking house, but only understand really basic sentences in present tense.
I looked over the admissions requirements for the philosophy master's I want and found I'm lacking some prerequisite courses. Online philosophy classes are usually limited to introduction, ethics, or a few scattered lower level logic offerings. I found an online BA http://www.uno.edu/cola/philosophy/online.aspx and am considering throwing the money towards getting a second bachelor's. The interesting part is that the course material, lectures and slides, are all freely available on iTunes U so I can prestudy the material before enrolling. The program charges in state tuition regardless of where I live, so it should be affordable enough to complete.
It's cool they're doing in-state rates for online classes, but that's an expensive in-state rate.

(01-13-2018, 10:51 PM)Ideas Wrote: It's cool they're doing in-state rates for online classes, but that's an expensive in-state rate.

It's less than any of the local colleges here and only ~$30/credit more than the upper level offerings at the community colleges (most here offer bachelor's now). But added benefit of not going to a campus is worth at least that much. Especially for the variety of upper level courses offered.
It's kind of crazy to spend many thousands of dollars to get a 2nd BA just so you can spend many thousands to get a MA. Why wouldn't you just find a MA program that will take your first undergrad degree and let you start without any prereqs? Unless you could find some inexpensive ways to get your prereqs.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(01-13-2018, 11:06 PM)DavidHume Wrote: It's less than any of the local colleges here and only ~$30/credit more than the upper level offerings at the community colleges (most here offer bachelor's now). But added benefit of not going to a campus is worth at least that much. Especially for the variety of upper level courses offered.

I didn't notice the 18 cr cost before. It's not bad if taking 18 credits at a time (or maybe more, if they allow).

(01-13-2018, 11:38 PM)Ideas Wrote:
(01-13-2018, 11:06 PM)DavidHume Wrote: It's less than any of the local colleges here and only ~$30/credit more than the upper level offerings at the community colleges (most here offer bachelor's now). But added benefit of not going to a campus is worth at least that much. Especially for the variety of upper level courses offered.

I didn't notice the 18 cr cost before. It's not bad if taking 18 credits at a time (or maybe more, if they allow).

Plus a $2000 scholarship for all philosophy majors with a possible extra $1000 for the last semester as a postbac student. That, with the money from my family, would make my personal contribution under $3000. I think I'd be happier doing this than the other options I've explored.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Masters or Grad Certificate in Forensic Psychology GoodYellowDogs 2 720 10-20-2022, 08:50 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  New Amberton Grad Certificate ss20ts 0 623 09-21-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  WGU - Non-Credit Certificate? sanantone 0 626 07-19-2022, 12:54 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  California Coast University - Anyone done a Masters? Graduate Certificate? GoodYellowDogs 27 5,310 03-14-2022, 11:29 AM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs
  Post Grad Project Management certificate xspect 7 1,286 11-15-2021, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Flelm
  Records Certificate ashkir 1 607 08-15-2021, 07:59 PM
Last Post: Silvious
  Any short, cheapish, online graduate certificate programs? kevinmane 6 1,667 07-10-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: Ideas
  University of the People Launches Certificate Programs collegecareerstudent 7 1,258 06-26-2021, 05:58 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Stanford Medical Statistics Certificate bjcheung77 12 3,289 12-04-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: ml2011
  Graduate Certificate for Teaching Adult Learners?? GoodYellowDogs 4 1,635 06-28-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: GoodYellowDogs