Any homeschooled students on here?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stacie's post:
  • a4tunatemom
Yes. Or their parents.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Stacie
Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board. What is it you're looking at specifically?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-27-2022, 12:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board.  What is it you're looking at specifically?

Just want to hear what college is/was like for them.  Big Grin
(07-27-2022, 01:31 PM)Stacie Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 12:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, there are plenty homeschooled parents and students on the board or sister board.  What is it you're looking at specifically?

My kid was homeschooled K-8, then did independent study at a charter school for 9-12.  Took a couple of on-campus classes, maybe 3 in 4 years.  She had a 3.5, but I would not say that she was a stellar student, or exceptionally brilliant - just very conscientious about doing her schoolwork every day.  I have never had to tell her to do her work (not even when she was 5).

She has gone to 2 CC's and a 4yr (Purdue Global) and has a 3.2 GPA.  She is not interested in "the college experience" so is fine with online.  She's much more interested in working than school.

She is NOT good at doing open-ended things like Study.com or Sophia.  She definitely needs deadlines.  She takes FOREVER to finish a 1cr Sophia class.  Just not her thing.  But 16-week or 10-week or 8-week classes - she does perfectly well with any of those.  Synchronous or Asynchronous is also not a big deal for her, she doesn't care one way or another.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Stacie
Homeschool parent here. Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.
[-] The following 2 users Like Juju7's post:
  • Stacie, Viktoria
(07-27-2022, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

My kid was homeschooled K-8, then did independent study at a charter school for 9-12.  Took a couple of on-campus classes, maybe 3 in 4 years.  She had a 3.5, but I would not say that she was a stellar student, or exceptionally brilliant - just very conscientious about doing her schoolwork every day.  I have never had to tell her to do her work (not even when she was 5).

She has gone to 2 CC's and a 4yr (Purdue Global) and has a 3.2 GPA.  She is not interested in "the college experience" so is fine with online.  She's much more interested in working than school.

She is NOT good at doing open-ended things like Study.com or Sophia.  She definitely needs deadlines.  She takes FOREVER to finish a 1cr Sophia class.  Just not her thing.  But 16-week or 10-week or 8-week classes - she does perfectly well with any of those.  Synchronous or Asynchronous is also not a big deal for her, she doesn't care one way or another.

I think that's one of the biggest advantages homeschooling brings. You develop great study habits, which I didn't realize I had until senior year when I took some concurrent enrollment courses and had teachers telling me how impressed they were with my work ethic. Smile

(07-27-2022, 08:02 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Homeschool parent here.  Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.

From someone who took concurrent enrollment, my biggest suggestion to him would be to take as many as he can for the college he's planning to go to. It'll save so much time.
(07-27-2022, 10:12 PM)Stacie Wrote:
(07-27-2022, 06:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I think that's one of the biggest advantages homeschooling brings. You develop great study habits, which I didn't realize I had until senior year when I took some concurrent enrollment courses and had teachers telling me how impressed they were with my work ethic. Smile

(07-27-2022, 08:02 PM)Juju7 Wrote: Homeschool parent here.  Son just beginning his journey with earning dual credit.

From someone who took concurrent enrollment, my biggest suggestion to him would be to take as many as he can for the college he's planning to go to. It'll save so much time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
My brother is homeschooled student, and everything is great. He has some problems with deadlines, sometimes it may be complicated for him not to miss them, but in general, no serious problems. It's more about self-discipline
[-] The following 1 user Likes MitchellHolst's post:
  • Stacie

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 4,342 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 521 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,047 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Fake Harvard Students Alpha 0 588 11-02-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  ACE NAMES ST. NICHOLAS BURRUS AND EDWIN DUARTE JR. 2020 STUDENTS OF THE YEAR ashkir 7 1,179 05-21-2021, 03:38 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Stimulus Payments & College Students Alpha 5 1,360 03-31-2021, 12:41 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Fewer Students Are Going To College. Here's Why That Matters allvia 8 2,458 03-03-2020, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Purdue University President remarks at 2019 commencement on today' Snowflake students Life Long Learning 2 1,219 05-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Last Post: MSK9
  Spain Park High School Students sanantone 1 1,190 03-11-2019, 12:30 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Hunger And Homelessness Are Widespread Among College Students, Study Finds allvia 2 1,862 04-05-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock