Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homeschooling
That documentary was released in 2006. I doubt the demographics have changed; they might actually be getting worse with the advent of birthers, the Tea Party, and increase in hate groups and right wing militant groups. Many of these people are very distrustful of public education and think their children are being indoctrinated. Some of them don't want their children exposed to mainstream scientific theories such as evolution and global warming/climate change. They have the right to educate their children how they want, but I think it's sad that they are so afraid of opposing views that they won't even give their children an opportunity to think for themselves.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Leebo Wrote:Isn't there some irony in disagreeing with someone while suggesting that diversity of thought isn't real? =)

So you wanted to talk to people who homeschool, or you want to debate the theory of homeschooling? Not sure why you started the thread?
cookderosa Wrote:So you wanted to talk to people who homeschool, or you want to debate the theory of homeschooling? Not sure why you started the thread?

Well, wouldn't the first be required to do the second?

Am I misunderstanding you about groupthink? You're proposing it as a negative aspect of traditional schooling, no? Why, then, is it inappropriate for me to suggest a potential negative of homeschooling?

Also, I said in the first post, what reasons did people have for doing it? You offered a reason and I offered a counterpoint. Again, unless I'm misunderstanding your intention.
BS Liberal Arts progress - 105/120
Leebo Wrote:Well, wouldn't the first be required to do the second?

Am I misunderstanding you about groupthink? You're proposing it as a negative aspect of traditional schooling, no? Why, then, is it inappropriate for me to suggest a potential negative of homeschooling?

Also, I said in the first post, what reasons did people have for doing it? You offered a reason and I offered a counterpoint. Again, unless I'm misunderstanding your intention.

My intention is to let you and Sanantone have a nice thread. Have a great weekend. Confusedeeya:
cookderosa Wrote:My intention is to let you and Sanantone have a nice thread. Have a great weekend. Confusedeeya:

I don't feel like I said anything offensive, but I can't force you.
My siblings and I have been homeschooled since day 1. I guess the basic reason there are so many Christians homeschooling is that that's the way the Bible says to do it. This is why we do it.

Deuteronomy 4:9 Only take heed to yourself, and diligently keep yourself, lest you forget the things your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. And teach them to your children and your grandchildren,

Deuteronomy 6:6-7 And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.

Isaiah 38: 19 The living, the living man, he shall praise You, as I do this day; the father shall make known Your truth to the children.

Ephesians 6:4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord.
BA History 2014 - TESC

The Lord is my shepherd. Psalm 23

"I'm going on an adventure!' ~AUJ
"It is our fight." ~DoS
"I am not alone." ~BotFA
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that's given to us." ~FotR
"There is still hope." ~TTT
"Courage..." "This day, we fight!" ~RotK

CLEP: A&I Lit 74 ~ Am Lit 73 ~ Eng Lit 72 ~ Humanities 75 ~ College Math 77 ~ Western Civ I 63 ~ Western Civ II 69 ~ Natural Sci 64 ~ US History I 76 ~ US History II 69 ~ Sociology 68 ~ Am Gov 69 ~ Social Sci & Hist 71 ~ College Comp 61 ~ Marketing 70 ~ Management 66 ~ Psychology 67

DSST: Supervision 453 ~ Tech Writing 61 ~ Computing 427 ~ Middle East 65 ~ Soviet Union 65 ~ Vietnam War 74 ~[COLOR="#0099cc"] Civil War 68

[/COLOR]Other: College+ Biblical Social Justice B ~ ECE World Conflicts Since 1900 A

TESC courses: Capstone A ~ Leaders in History A ~ Photography 101 A- ~ Games People Play A ~ International Relations A- ~ Mass Communications I A

$5 off IC - 59690
My hair jewelry business
I see. Well, I probably shouldn't start giving my opinions on the meaning of Bible passages.
I'll say something. I find it annoying when some Christians say that some laws in the Old Testament don't apply to us while others do. I eat pork and shellfish and I don't believe in tithing; I believe in giving as much as your heart compels you to give as it says in the New Testament. A lot of Christians seem to take issue with me saying that tithing does not apply to us all while eating pork and shellfish.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Leebo Wrote:I noticed there are a lot of people on this forum who either homeschool their kids, were homeschooled, or advocate homeschooling.

I was thinking about it and realized I don't think I've ever talked to someone who was homeschooled.

What reasons did you have for choosing it?

My sister and I, like Westerner, have been homeschooled all of our lives. I can say it has been the greatest blessing! I am officially done with school, since I graduated with my BA in March (before my 19th birthday). Being homeschooled gave me the flexibility to finish my degree quickly and entirely from home! (I only had to take two online classes...the rest were CBE's.)

Obviously, many homeschool for different reasons, so it is hard to have a stereotype homeschooling image, in this day and age. (Like in all areas of life, there are good and bad apples in every bunch.) Smile The reasoning behind our homeschooling decision is that we believe it is a Biblical commandment. "And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." (Deuteronomy 6:6-7) For us, it was not all about academics. Instead, we strove to put the Lord first and the academics followed. (My sister is 15 and has 54 college credits...proud sis moment! Ha!)

I have never been public-schooled, but I can honestly say that I am grateful I was homeschooled and thankful for the impact it has had on my life. Not only was I able to finish my schooling at an early age, I am currently starting my own business from home, employed part-time for my family's ministry and help my Dad with secretarial work, pursuing the desires the Lord has given me in continuing to train to be a keeper of the home, and many other things. This is not to "toot my own horn," but to just show one of the benefits of homeschooling. Smile (I am not saying you cannot do this if you are public-schooled, but being homeschooled gave me the freedom and flexibility to pursue these interests.)

So, that's my short version of the "why" of homeschooling... Good question! Smile
Many blessings!
TayTay

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever." {Heb. 13:8}

CLEP: English Comp with Essay-51, US Hist. I-60, College Math-65, College Algebra-56, Analyzing and Interpreting Lit-72, Principles of Market.-62, Principles of Man.-60, Human Growth & Develop.-57, Humanities-64, Social Sciences & Hist.-55, Western Civ. I-55, Intro. Psych.-68, Intro to Ed. Psych.-65, Intro. Sociology-61, Western Civ. II-53, US Hist. II-66

DSST: Civil War & Reconstruction-66, Intro to Computing-450, History of the Vietnam War-63, Intro to World Religions-473, Principles of Supervision-445, Intro to Business-429, Here's to Your Health-422, Fund. of Counseling-60, General Anthro.-60, Art of the Western World-74, Intro to Modern Middle East-61, Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union-64

Other: FEMA-12 Credits, TESC-Capstone (A), BYU-Italian Renaissance Ind. Study (A-), World Conflicts-ECE ©

TESC Graduate as of March 2014 - B.A. History - Arnold Fletcher Award
I had a feeling a lot of homeschooling was done on a religious basis. I do see a lot of people on this forum with religious quotes in their signatures and whatnot.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cookderosa's new book --- Homeschooling For College Credit Daithi 37 8,004 06-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Homeschooling in North Carolina cookderosa 15 3,093 01-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Homeschooling Success! mrs.b 15 1,923 12-09-2013, 05:47 PM
  homeschooling website giving away a copy of my book! cookderosa 6 1,823 03-27-2013, 09:11 AM
Last Post: namwen
  Homeschooling...for newbies mrs.b 10 1,651 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM
  8-10th Grade Science - Homeschooling Help burbuja0512 8 1,743 07-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Homeschooling? Farmerboy 43 9,446 07-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Last Post: QuotableKali1918