Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Houghton College is offering a 3-credit course for $150
Ha, I was just thinking of looking that thread up. Good idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(06-23-2020, 10:17 AM)Tedium Wrote: So...what's going to end up happening here is I'm going to have a million 3 credit course transcripts from a million different schools. I'm going to end up forgetting where I have what credit lol

Seems like a pretty interesting course, though. I'm going to try and do it.

Paying to send all of those transcripts may get costly.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
Has anyone signed up for this for credit and heard anything back from them yet? I got one automatic email and that's it.
(06-25-2020, 02:16 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Has anyone signed up for this for credit and heard anything back from them yet? I got one automatic email and that's it.

I just got the automated email. I’m actually not going to take this one. It doesn’t apply to my degree and I have too much going on at the moment that does apply to my degree to worry about it.

Seems super interesting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(06-23-2020, 10:56 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Maybe make a Google Spreadsheet with what courses you completed when/where?

I've done that for my three kids who are amassing alt-credit for deposit at Charter Oak. If you're a big enough nerd, it's even fun!  Wink
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • rachel83az
I got the email telling me to set up my Houghton email. Did that. No other instructions (yet). The course is supposed to start tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.
Is anyone else working through this course? I'm having second thoughts due to the amount of work. Compared to the Purdue Global course, this is easily twice as much of a time commitment each week. 2-3 page response paper, 2 hour long seminar, 3-5 page seminar 'make up' paper, 300 word discussion post plus 3 additional comments in response to other discussion posts, 100-150 pages a reading . . . and that's each week.

It seems that the each week's material is released on Monday, and the response paper and discussion forum post due that Thursday, which isn't great if you have work obligations. The course was first released on 29 June, and having the first 2-3 page response paper due on 01 July seems a bit harsh. Not really sure if I can devote the time during g the weekdays for this course.
I'm also having some doubts. It's a hell of a lot of work for only 3 LL credits. I might see if I can switch to auditing the course instead. It's very interesting but I'm not super impressed with how slip-shod everything feels.
All that work for 3 LL credits? Sounds like my week at CSU Global. At least my courses are UL. I'm actually looking into transferring to WGU because I now know I have the will and determination to complete courses on my own timeline. I've been doing well with Sophia in addition to my 3 courses at CSU. I don't recommend 3 CSU courses at a time. I'm soooooo sick of writing 3 3-5 page papers EVERY week. Then there's the 150-250 word discussions with scholarly sources and a minimum of 2 responses with scholarly sources. Then there's the 8-10+ portfolio paper due at the end of the course. Yes it's only 8 weeks, but its a LOT of work in that amount of time. I'm not working or else I couldn't do this.

I'm so happy I'll be down to 2 courses tomorrow. I finish one today. My husband is taking project management with Sophia right now. He's sitting next to me as I write my portfolio paper for my project management class. He'll spend less time in the Sophia course than I will writing this portfolio paper! Wish I knew Sophia had project management or that Sophia even existed before I began this course. It would have saved me soooo much time and over $1000.
(07-05-2020, 09:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I'm also having some doubts. It's a hell of a lot of work for only 3 LL credits. I might see if I can switch to auditing the course instead. It's very interesting but I'm not super impressed with how slip-shod everything feels.

Right. The course calendar only has two items on it for July, with three items each on 02 and 03 July - kinda makes me feel like they haven't planned the rest of the 8 weeks out.
Which is fine, I guess - but maybe also give us a bit more time to work on the numerous papers as well then? Course start on 29 June and a reflection paper in 01 July hardly gives me enough to even absorb the information I'm reading, never mind reflecting on it.

I was hoping for a bit more analysis, but the way it's structured it feels a lot more like regurgitation of readings, which is not quite what I was looking for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-credit Fintech certificate, free, U South Florida freeloader 0 36 1 hour ago
Last Post: freeloader
  Free CUNY 1-credit course - “Bridges to Health Careers/Emerging Trend in Healthcare” ctcarl 9 2,206 02-27-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: jch
  Free Community Health Worker certificate at Berkeley City College staceydiane 12 2,099 02-01-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Gav 4 Free (Gavilan College) MissRN 14 4,904 09-18-2023, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Pearson Vue is offering free AWS Code to retake exam bjcheung77 0 12,820 03-24-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free trial Coursera from College Board (CLEP) ylmir 1 975 02-23-2023, 06:13 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  TAMUC Free 3 Credit Course Winter Mini Term Tedium 10 2,026 12-17-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: RbxFunRocks
  Free non-credit classes from COSC rachel83az 2 924 06-29-2022, 06:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free non-credit certificates rachel83az 0 972 06-29-2022, 01:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Peirce College Free credits gams007 12 2,269 04-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: gams007