Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are you paying for school?
Just wondering...if you don't mind my asking, how are you all paying for school? I've been crunching numbers for next year and holy cannoli...its expensive! The financial aid estimator put my EFC at well above what tuition and fees will be, so I'm guessing we'll be footing most if not all of the bill out of pocket. CLEP'ing is a HUGE help, but its still a lot of money. I think I'll try to take a few classes each semester including intersession and summer instead of two full time semesters to keep the monthly payment low. I'm trying to avoid student loans at all costs. Have any of you had luck with private scholarships?
Well, I can't say if I've had any success with private scholarships because I'm in the process of applying for some right now. I have found a few distance learning scholarships. Just google "Distance Learning Scholarships". Other than that I'll be trying to get a job after I graduate high school to pay for the rest. I did have a deal with my parents that they would pay for my any college I did while in high school, but that I'd have to pay after I graduate in June. I'm also planning on filling out the FAFSA, but I have no idea if my family will qualify or not. know that's probably not much help, but that's what I'm doing at this point. I am also in 4-H and have been saving the money I earn from the livestock auction, but it's not really that much.
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
You could also consider going to work for an employer that offers tuition reimbursement. It may not be a job you really want, but if you can handle it for a year or two it would be another option to graduating debt free. If you are lucky you could end up with an employer you like and leverage your degree into a promotion.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
Rebel100 did a great job of using his Pell Grant to pay for school. Search for more of his posts about this topic. Here is one:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post130246

There are tax deductions and credits for tuition and fees, too.

Since I am taking exams almost exclusively, this has been all out-of-pocket. As you said, the credit-by-exam-savings are huge - money, time, and energy-wise.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Rebel100 did a great job of using his Pell Grant to pay for school. Search for more of his posts about this topic. Here is one:

http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...post130246

There are tax deductions and credits for tuition and fees, too.

Since I am taking exams almost exclusively, this has been all out-of-pocket. As you said, the credit-by-exam-savings are huge - money, time, and energy-wise.
NAP, you might be the only one who pays any attention to me...I appreciate you! Smile
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
For my daughter we worked out an interesting plan...it could be modified to work for the serious student.

She went to a State College (community college) here in Florida. In her case the courses where free as she was still in HS, but that doesn't really matter. What we did was exploit the CLEP/DSST process to the MAX and just take a minimal of courses through the college, here is why that matters...

There is little chance she would have kept a stellar GPA with a math class, her strength lies in English/Humanities...so we CLEP/DSST math, Biology, US Gov. etc... She used the school, and studied really hard in Chemistry with a lab, French, English Comp, etc.. She kept her GPA at a 4.0 and joined the junior college honor society Phi Theta Kappa (PTK). This is HUGE!

By essentially skipping GPA killers classes in favor of Pass/Fail exams she was able to preserve her PTK status and graduate in the top 1% out of 800 students. She earned a scholarship from the CC, and the PTK coffers opened up. There are thousands of dollars in PTK scholorships that go unclaimed every year. Florida Southern College grants its PTK recipients $9000/year...that's getting close to a full ride. Florida Gulf Coast College offers something like $7-8000/year if done by distance and in state that IS a full ride. She opted to accept the PTK scholarship at Harvard Extension School which covers the first semester...and she is loving the challenges and growing in amazing ways.

Her little sister will likely have even more options as we understand so much better how to do this...how to work the miracle that is credit by exam, and take full advantage of the infinite possibilities that exist today in higher education.

Of course there is always pay as you go...with offerings of Saylor.org, Straighterline, FEMA, the Big 3, and countless other non traditional routes to credit and learning there are just so many options today...paying for school just isn't that big of a problem anymore.

good Luck and this forum is here to help!

Best,
Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
rebel100 Wrote:NAP, you might be the only one who pays any attention to me...I appreciate you! Smile

Not the only one... Wink
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
rebel100 Wrote:NAP, you might be the only one who pays any attention to me...I appreciate you! Smile

IrishJohn Wrote:Not the only one... Wink

Too funny!

Seriously, though, your successful experiences with this subject have really made an impression on me. I want other people to know this is possible, especially if they are able to take the number of courses required for the Pell Grant.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
Definitely not the only one taking notes. One of my nephews is 14 and so smart, it's scary. He already has a short list of schools he's interested in, and limited it down to a handful of majors he's still considering. He wants to start AP and CLEP exams as soon as he can, so my husband and I are going to help him with those. His mom is pushing him and his brother towards the military for the financial help, which is great, but he's just not interested in that route, so she's told him he has to find his own way to fund it. I'm saving this post to show him when he's out next week for the holidays. Thank you!
I have always paid on my own. But my employer is paying for part of my graduate education.
If I had known about CLEP tests when I was in high school I would have done those instead of wasting time in high school. I worked all through high school and it was difficult to get time to study working 25-30 hours per week. It was also difficult in college and I worked even more.
I could have found a way to use CLEPs as part of a home school solution and would have been able to make progress on school year round. With public high school I suffered brain rot during the long summer. If I had CLEPs I would have finished high school at 16 and had an associates as well. This would have been preferable to going to school for me.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,063 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,470 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,584 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 906 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Worst School Name Alpha 13 2,063 10-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Marcus Aurelius
  Should taxpayers fund any and every choice in school and/or major? sanantone 14 1,652 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Back 2 School - Buy Mac/iPad - get AirPods + 20% off AppleCare bjcheung77 0 672 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  For Sale: Virtual High School with AP bjcheung77 11 1,737 06-01-2021, 01:11 PM
Last Post: dfrecore