Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How did you arrive here?
(11-13-2019, 02:36 PM)MSK9 Wrote: ...
I've also seen (again, anecdotal) the look of shock on an Art History major's face when someone explains the career-choice limitations of their degree.

I was thinking more of the people pulled in by the ad that promises "an exciting career in X" when the school's graduation rates and employment rates are truly abysmal.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(11-13-2019, 02:42 PM)davewill Wrote: I was thinking more of the people pulled in by the ad that promises "an exciting career in X" when the school's graduation rates and employment rates are truly abysmal.

That's a fair statement.

Maybe I give too much credit to graduates, but I tend to think that those who have the intellectual faculties to succeed and ultimately graduate from college would understand that the onus of landing their desired career is still on squarely on their own shoulders. If you've seen marketing that makes overt, unrealistic promises, especially if made by a public school, then I think that warrants a frank discussion with the school's administration at the least.
Doctor of Medicine candidate (MD) - anticipated complete '24
I did a traditional BS through community college and then university when I graduated high school. Years later I did a traditional MS. Lately I've been interested in a career change but did not want to do the traditional option again because I work full-time and refused to go further in debt with student loans so I started looking around for distance education options that would be flexible and fairly inexpensive.

I don't remember exactly what I googled to end up on this forum but it came up while I was looking around for an option that would fit my criteria to get another degree. Of course from here I stumbled on the big 3 and started exploring their degree options and transfer policies.

I'm taking classes at Study.com right now and plan to transfer those to TESU. Super happy I ended up here because I had no idea all these inexpensive places to get college credit existed. Smile
I arrived here a bit before most people here, and I don't even remember how exactly I arrived here at this point. One thing I know is that my youthful hubris was wearing off, and I decided I needed a degree in case I lost my job at the time (which paid well enough that I dropped out of college for it, but wasn't going so well).

This forum encouraged me to jump in after a year or two of waffling over enrolling at TESC, and as they say, the rest is history.
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

I was roaming the internet one night and I landed on that video.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

I'm Army Infantry. Since I turned 18 and graduated high school, I've probably had a total of 8 months where I haven't been in either Army Training or deployed. TESU gives an option I would otherwise not have.
TESU March 2020 Graduation
--ASNSM Mathematics
--BSBA Accounting 
--BA Computer Science

University of Alaska Fairbanks (December 2021 Graduation Goal)
--MBA (2/10 : 4.0)

I started this journey in the summer of 2016.  I hoped to be done sooner, but I am still proud of the rate at which I have gotten my schooling done with respect to the many months of military training and deployments I have undergone.  

(11-17-2019, 05:24 AM)BSLIONS Wrote: video

Part of the information provided is outdated. (cornerstone, cost, ...)
(11-17-2019, 10:14 AM)lacussucceed Wrote:

Oh yeah, I found that in 2017 so it's been a while.
TESU BA Liberal Studies /Communications 

(11-13-2019, 02:42 PM)davewill Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 02:36 PM)MSK9 Wrote: ...
I've also seen (again, anecdotal) the look of shock on an Art History major's face when someone explains the career-choice limitations of their degree.

I was thinking more of the people pulled in by the ad that promises "an exciting career in X" when the school's graduation rates and employment rates are truly abysmal.

In truth, most college's graduation rates are poor. That doesn't seem to dissuade enrollment.

(11-17-2019, 10:14 AM)lacussucceed Wrote:

And uses Dfrecore's plan and this site's Wiki.... Wink
AND at the end he says checkout degreeforum.net there are plenty of nice users who will help you plan a degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fema credits arrive 29palms 8 1,012 08-21-2012, 02:21 AM
Last Post: 29palms