Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I get started? Am I missing some key thread here?
I'm feeling like an idiot over here.. I lurked for the forums for a few days before joining. There appears to be tons of good topical information.. I guess Im hoping there is a How-To somewhere here that I am just not seeing.

I am a 45yo career professional looking to add a degree to my resume to open up more opportunities for advancement.

Thanks in advance for helping me out. I promise I'm not an idiot Smile
Degree Forum Wiki - Wikia
Start here then ask any specific questions. Do you have any credits currently? If so please list them along with course numbers of possible. What degree are you looking for? How fast? How you gonna fund it? Have you applied for financial aid?

In general terms,
Find a degree plan to follow
Figure out what exams or courses fill that degree
Start busting out those exams/courses
Get your degree.

Sounds simple don't it? It really is, the devil is in the details and sticking it out.

Good luck,
Mike
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
If you are starting from scratch and don't have any other credits, I would say to start in a subject that you have some knowledge in or are comfortable with. Instantcert is an invaluable resource when it comes to starting the actual work of studying and taking exams. The specific feedback threads that are available with a paid membership contain a lot of valuable information from people who have taken the test already. Whenever I start studying a new topic, I usually read the whole forum, and make a list of topics and resources mentioned to start studying. Then I put in the time and get down to business. Once I'm getting familiar with the topics, I schedule the test, study extra hard for a few days before, then take it! Analyzing and interpreting literature Clep is a great, easy test to take if you want to get your feet wet.
I would now advise anyone who is starting from scratch to think about starting with DreamDegree first, as it's 30 free GE credits. You can start taking other courses/exams during the same time, though (DreamDegree is limited on how many courses you can take and the speed at which you can take them, and we're still not sure WHICH courses they will let you take). I would just make sure not to take any of the courses available through DD if you want to maximize your courses there. After you're done at DD, then I would start looking at the rest of the courses you need to take for your degree plan, through other means (CLEP, DSST, TECEP, SL, TEEX, ALEKS, Sophia, etc.).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Test Specific thread dewisant 7 504 01-30-2024, 04:07 PM
Last Post: dewisant
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 638 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,734 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
  Help finding a thread (or info) on FAFS reconsideration based on lower 2020 income studyingfortests 2 627 11-15-2021, 01:32 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  Another Thanks Thread Clepking100 2 1,118 08-07-2020, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Clepking100
  Struggle Thread jcooke 15 2,479 05-26-2020, 09:34 AM
Last Post: lillingworth
  Getting started with BALS (Template Q&A) CiggyTardust 24 4,892 12-10-2019, 03:15 PM
Big Grin Desperately Need Help To Get Started Risingstar 12 2,259 10-18-2019, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Risingstar
  in 2017 I gave up on this before I even started. Now I'm serious, but I need help. David.Hamad 21 3,300 05-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  New thread RodeRuner 0 930 04-07-2019, 09:32 AM
Last Post: RodeRuner