Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU - Community College & RA Questions
Hello guys.  I have been taking majority of my classes at study.com for the computer science degree.  My original plan was to go to wgu but after reading about TESU and the ability to transfer all your credits from outside sources has really attracted me to the idea.  So what exactly is RA?  Does that mean I cannot take all my most of my credits at places like sophia, study.com, etc?  Are they not RA?
RA = Regionally Accredited. This is a college or university with the right accreditation. For TESU, Finnish schools like XAMK or Metropolia are inexpensive ways to meet the RA-equivalent credit requirement. Sophia and Study.com are alternate credit sources. They are businesses, not colleges or universities.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Most U.S. colleges and universities are accredited by one of several regional accrediting agencies hence the name Regional Accreditation. Some schools are accredited by other agencies. Since these agencies are approved by the US Dept of Education, these are called National Accreditation. The RA schools, either believing the national accreditors aren't stringent enough, or just wanting to keep the riff-raff out, mostly refuse to accept credits or degrees earned at NA schools.

Employers generally don't differentiate.

The alt credit sources like Sophia are not NA or RA. They are recommended as equivalent to college credit by ACE or NCCRS, or are accepted at partner schools who have agreements with the alt credit provider. Most schools accept little or no alt credit. This board highlights the schools that accept large amounts of alt credit, allowing people to earn degrees both cheaply and quickly.

Most of these schools have limits to the number of alt credits they will accept (typically 90), which results in needing at least some RA credits. In addition, they all require at least a few credits be earned at the school in question.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(01-26-2023, 02:54 PM)davewill Wrote: Most U.S. colleges and universities are accredited by one of four regional accrediting agencies hence the name Region Accreditation. Some schools are accredited by other agencies. Since these agencies are approved by the US Dept of Education, these are called National Accreditation. The RA schools, either believing the national accreditors aren't stringent enough, or just wanting to keep the riff-raff out, generally refuse to accept credits or degrees earned at NA schools.

Employers generally don't differentiate.

The alt credit sources like Sophia are not NA or RA. They are recommended as equivalent to college credit by ACE or NCCRS, or are accepted at partner schools who have agreements with the alt credit provider. Most schools accept little or no alt credit. This board highlights the schools that accept large amounts of alt credit, allowing people to earn degrees both cheaply and quickly.

Most of these schools have limits to the number of alt credits they will accept (typically 90), which results in needing at least some RA credits. In addition, they all require at least a few credits be earned at the school in question.

There are seven RA agencies, not 4.  But the rest of this info is spot on.

ACE/NCCRS credit is not RA (or NA), it's alt-credit, and won't count towards RA credit at TESU.

Excelsior does not require any RA credit, except the 7cr (3 courses) that you have to take there, so for those who are thinking of a degree that EU offers (especially the business or BLS degrees), and don't have any RA credit, EU is a good option.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
For other confused by some of the acronyms and inside jargon we use around here, we've documented some of those here on the wiki (though this could use some more work):

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Common_Terms
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
Could I choose any classes from my Degree (Computer Science) to do at TESU as an RA or is it only specific ones?  I was planning to do most of my (easier) classes at TESU and the hard ones like Calculus and Descrete math at study dot com.
RA is done at the institution level, not class specific. The courses offered by TESU are all RA.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
What is the process to check which credits will transfer over?  im taking some study dot com classes buy have also taken some community college courses.  is there anyway to check which classes will transfer over so i dont take those at study.com/sophia/ etc?
(01-30-2023, 04:12 PM)mt_1994 Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 02:11 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you have questions, you can start a thread that lists your credits and what school they come from. We can make pretty good educated guesses as to what they'll come in as at TESU.
What is the process to check which credits will transfer over?  im taking some study dot com classes buy have also taken some community college courses.  is there anyway to check which classes will transfer over so i dont take those at study.com/sophia/ etc?
List the course names and the community college you took them from, and we can make some good educated guesses. Also, add what degree you want and the time and money you have to spend on getting a degree.
TESU BA.LSSS 121/121, BA.PSYCH 121/121, BA in Liberal Studies-Social Sciences and Psychology: March 2021 Graduation

Since 12/5/19:
CLEP: Intro Sociology - 62, Diversity, DSST: 1/6/20 Ethics in America - 440, 1/8/20 Intro World Religions - 470
Sophia: Intro to Statistics - 95%, & many credits...
Study.com: Ethics Social Sciences 90, Into Crim Justice 91, Criminal Law 90, Forensic Science 88, Social Psychology 94
InstantCert Credit: American Government, 91 4/14/2020
Coopersmith: Drugs and Society, Jewish Rabbinic Counseling, Hist and Sys of Psych, Modern Jewish American History, Physio Psych, Sociology of Jewish Food, JST-225 Laws of Blessings 9/16/22, BIB-376 Trees and Plants of the Bible 12/21/22
UExcel Social Psych: A, 1/26/21
TESU: SOS-110-OL 3 cr. A-99, APS-100-OL 1 cr A-97, PSY-331-EP 3 cr 87, PSY322 Research Exp Psych - A 95 3 cr, SOC291 Criminology A98 3 cr, PSY-300EP Thanatology 3 cr 80, HIS210GS Am Civil Rights Movement History 3 cr A, LIB-495OL Hansen A 3cr
TECEPs: PSY-270 2/3/20,  SOC-210 2/10/20, PSY-350 2/17/20, ETH-210
Also, you can always go ahead and enroll at TESU and send in your transcripts. There's no downside, and it's actually a good idea to get your catalog locked in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 511 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 450 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 471 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 15 2,285 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM
Last Post: Kones
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,224 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 231 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 370 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 277 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27