Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you explain your degree at a job interview when asked?
(01-26-2021, 09:36 AM)Flelm Wrote: I am finishing my TESU degree in June. I've been on a job hunt (recently concluded!), and at the career level I'm at a degree is practically required, so I had my expected graduation date on my resume, as well as my most significant previous college experience (right out of high school, ~20 years ago). When asked about the lack of a degree, my answer was always the same: "I started going to school for mechanical engineering, and found out it wasn't for me. I've been fortunate enough since then to not need a degree, but at this point it's limiting me, so I decided to finish it."

My new employer was familiar with TESU because it's very close by (I live in NJ, work in PA). But other than that, it didn't come up. The lack of a degree is far more limiting than how you obtained your degree.

Completely agreed. And congrats on the new job!
(02-12-2020, 10:19 AM)lacussucceed Wrote: They will be able to see it on the final transcript.

Regardless of what is voluntarily submitted by a potential employee, the dates for attendance will likely show up in a background check/education verification. I recently paid for a degree verification check from the National Student Clearing House and the report shows the start and end dates at WGU.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes AwardTour's post:
  • Pikachu
I don't explain it. You want I should have a degree. I have a degree. End of story. If the dates ever come up and they ask about why it's not four years, I'll just say it was a competency-based program and as it turns out ... I'm very competent.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • harrypotter, rachel83az
(02-12-2020, 10:10 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: With being close to starting my Capstone at TESU, I’m curious as to how you professionally explain your degree to employers when asked how you obtained it in a small amount of time and proving to them that you earned a good education regardless of it being done online (when asked)?  I know I will be asked about it by future employers, but explaining it to those who may view degrees obtained online may not be *as* effective as B&M is something I wouldn’t know how to properly answer.  Any tips from those of you who may have experienced this?

I have been interviewing with my degree listed on the resume for its completion date so I have had to sit and discuss my education and work experience quite often lately.

I am going for pretty high level jobs (I work in distressed asset acquisitions for real estate.) I have a lot of experience but without the check-mark of having a degree, you wont make it past the algorithms they use to screen applicants before you are ever even given a chance for an interview.  I've also been through some heavy background checks and had no issues or questions about my (almost done) TESU degree.

Most people seem really impressed that I was able to pass most of the courses by taking the tests.  My son is in college at a very well known school - If we were the same major, I could probably interview the same places easily.  He is younger and really needs the life experience of sitting in classrooms (or zoom rooms) with professionals as he has no industry experience so brick and mortar is a good choice for him - not me though...

Your confidence and experience will speak for itself.  The fact you have a degree is all you need to worry about in my opinion.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 10 683 04-20-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  I need to Interview an HR Manager GoBroncos95 5 252 04-11-2024, 02:16 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 288 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 644 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,799 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 576 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 513 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 289 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 873 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,248 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM