Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you explain your degree at a job interview when asked?
(02-12-2020, 03:00 PM)allvia Wrote:
(02-12-2020, 01:34 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: I appreciate the feedback.  Just curious in the event where (even after hiring) were the topic ever to come up, what’s the best way to explain the degree?  The way I would explain it is that I constantly did work in between calls at my job that allowed me to focus hard on my work, but according to some that I have mentioned that to, they were more concerned with whether or not I learned anything in that amount of time (I definitely did), but always wondered how to deliver an explanation to somebody as to the benefit of what we do.  Regardless, I appreciate everyone for taking the time to reply.

I would not recommend telling a potential employer that you were working on your school work during working hours - even if there was downtime in work day (and even if you had permission of that previous employer to do so) - it's a red flag that you do things that are not work related during work hours.  How'd you manage earning a degree while working (full time) - that is you giving up your non-working personal time for a period in which you committed to being a dedicated student.  How long that time period was is really not important.

Also, if you're over the age of 22 why would the subject of earning a degree time-frame even come up? If you're comfortable putting the year you graduated on your resume (that is a personal choice, with pros and cons based each persons situation) the most a company should ask is for proof of graduation, not information on when you started - especially since an employer can't ask about an applicant's age (and asking for such time-frames could be construed as fishing for information that could be used to estimate that).

The only justified question asking you to "explain your degree" would be why you chose to get a degree in the area that you did (BSBA vs BACS vs BALS etc).

Sounds good.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
I don’t list dates for my education on my resume or on LinkedIn. You’re under no obligation to do so. Most managers are just looking to see that you have one and what was the major. I’d recommend doing the same if your degree took you less than a year, unless you want to highlight that you got the degree recently as part of telling a career change story with your resume.

Employers don’t ask for transcripts in my experience. They’ll get the years you attended if they do a background check, but they are just checking that you actually got the degree — and in most states this will only happen after you’ve already been offered the job.

Don’t sweat this basically. It doesn’t need to be a conversation if you don’t want it to be one.
[-] The following 2 users Like midnighttoil's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
if they ask how you were able to complete your degree in less than 4 years just tell them you're a freaking genius
[-] The following 5 users Like bluebooger's post:
  • harrypotter, Holmes, Muldoon, ss20ts, udi
For starters, I don't list the date of graduation, and don't bring it up if I'm not asked. I was asked once by an interviewer when I got my degree. I simply told them that even though I've been a successful engineer, I felt the lack of a degree occasionally, and online education finally created the opportunity for me to finish the degree I started long ago.

If someone is truly interested, I'm happy to explain details, but prospective employers mostly don't care, and if they ARE nitpicky, then it's probably not going to be the right fit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 4 users Like davewill's post:
  • allvia, harrypotter, jsd, ss20ts
BrighterFuture88, I highly doubt you would be asked to explain how you got your degree. They may do so casually as small talk at the work place, you can give them a basic rundown on why you chose TESU and the degree, there is no need to go in great detail with that. Don't sweat it, you're not going to lose out on the job just because of your degree - it's from a State B&M University.

BTW, I just looked at your signature. For example, if you finished your TESU degree in 2020 and finished your Masters in 2020 or the beginning of 2021, they may just ask how you did it so quickly. Other than that, you can inform them truthfully that the degree was competency based or whatever the case may be. Honesty is the best policy as always!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Like others have said. It's more of checking off a requirement box. In healthcare in more of a networking, who you know and what have you done lately vibe.
I have experienced filling out online application forms in which it asks for start date and finish date of the college. That could potentially signal something unusual. I never got a call from a job where that was the case and knew some folks at the organization. I'm not sure if it was a factor and may never know.

It didn't come up in my job interview for my current position. They were much more concerned with my work experience. 

A friend whose entire job it is to recruit told me that 75% of the job interview process is culture/personality fit. They ask themselves "would you want to share an office with this person for the next 2-12 years?" Some people are otherwise qualified candidates but have TOO many ideas and TOO much enthusiasm. If you've got a lot of energy, people might find it exhausting and pass.

Maybe if the nature of the degree comes up, use that as a great opportunity to tell a story that lets them get to know you as a person.
[-] The following 2 users Like ReyMysterioso's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts
I just tell them I enrolled to finish my degree and was able to transfer in credits from previous courses I'd taken. You don't need to tell them where you took courses, whether it's online at a community college, or anything else. They really don't even need to know how long it took you. Just put the year you graduated. You have a degree from a regionally accredited university.
TESU BSBA CIS - March 2019
Clep: College Algebra, Analyzing and Interpreting Literature, History of U.S. I, History of U.S. II, Principles of Management, Introductory Sociology, College Composition, American Government, Financial Accounting, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Principles of Marketing, Information Systems, Introductory Business Law, Introductory Psychology, Western Civilization I, Spanish Language, Biology, Social Science and History, Precalculus, Calculus
Study.com: FIN-102 Personal Finance, FIN-101 Principles of Finance, ACC-102 Managerial Accounting, BUS-308 Globalization and International Management, CS-302 Systems Analysis and Design, CS-303 Database Management, COM-120 Presentation Skills in the Workplace, BUS-113 Business Communication, STAT-101 Principles of Statistics
OnlineDegree.com: Computer Science CS101
Saylor.org: CS402, BUS303, CS302
Certs: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Linux+, MCSA, LPIC-1, CCNA
TESU: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
[-] The following 4 users Like camjenks's post:
  • davewill, jsd, Pikachu, ss20ts
I have never had an employer ever want me to prove I had a degree that I earned way back. As far as I know they simply took my word for it.
A friend graduated from TESU and was asked about it at the interview. The friend explained the situation opening and honestly. Good thing, too. The panel member asking was from NJ and might have known if my friend was putting a spin on things. (Didn't get the job, but I don't think that was the issue. Friend admits to being a bad interviewee.)

Sometimes I help set up interview panels and the panel leaders frequently review and exclude resumes based on what boxes have been checked before doing a deeper dive into what the applicants have written about their job experiences.

The only time start/end degree timelines have come up is when panel leaders have asked me to verify a degree. (It's surprising how many DON'T ask me to verify.) As the form candidate normally fills out the form and sends it to me, the panel leaders don't know the dates.

Raycathode’s post “A friend whose entire job it is to recruit told me that 75% of the job “interview process is culture/personality fit. They ask themselves "would you want to share an office with this person for the next 2-12 years?" parallels my experience.

It really depends on the hiring authority/panel. One supervisor I know takes offense when, after asking if the candidate has a question, the candidate asks a penetrating question. Maybe she feels intimidated, I don’t know.
[-] The following 2 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • Pikachu, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,462 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 482 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,704 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  These Rural Texans Opted Out of a Degree. This Community College Wants Them Back LevelUP 1 377 12-22-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Avidreader