Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where can I find UL courses?
I've done some digging, and maybe I'm just missing something. On Study.com, for example, even when I select "College Senior" and "Online College Credit" I still get a bunch of 100 level courses for my results. I need various courses in the 300's and 400's.

I am only a few classes away from graduating from Excelsior with a Bachelor's in HSEM.

I need 12 credits of UL arts and sciences, and 6 UL credits in any academic area. This should be easy enough to find, right? Where can I take a bunch of foo-foo UL courses that's not a university?  Wink

Thanks for y'all's advice.

Oh! I found some upper level courses on Study.com. Jeez, I should have looked harder.

Any other resources out there, though?
Completed Degrees
ACE: M.Ed. Instructional Design and Technology
NAU: B.S. Public Administration

Degrees in Progress
ACE: Ed.D. Instructional Technology
TESU: B.A. English
Wait, that's a game changer. What catalog year are you on with Excelsior? Do you have any HSEM courses applied to the degree already? Don't they have specific courses in the HSEM category for you to take that can't be transferred over? *gasp* OMG! This reminds me of the BSLS degree from a while back, basically, no specific requirements! Does it show you need to do the Cornerstone/Capstone with them? How many total credits? Heck, why won't you list your evaluation from them and the courses applied...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Study.com has tons. Not sure why they don't come up correctly when you choose "college credit" and "junior/senior," because you would think that only 300-level and 400-level courses would come up (or courses that ACE/NCCRS considers UL would be even more helpful), but you haven't gone through enough pages. When I do this, there are 14 pages of courses, and if you skip to page 14, they're almost all 300-level. So, you could go backwards.

The other thing you can do is choose courses based on subject - so narrow it down even further. Choose "college credit" and "junior/senior" and then "history" or "Psychology" or whatever subject, and there are only a few courses. You should also check ACE/NCCRS to see what they consider the courses - not all of Study.com's 300-level courses are considered UL by ACE/NCCRS, unfortunately.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-25-2020, 04:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Wait, that's a game changer.  What catalog year are you on with Excelsior?  Do you have any HSEM courses applied to the degree already?  Don't they have specific courses in the HSEM category for you to take that can't be transferred over?  *gasp* OMG!  This reminds me of the BSLS degree from a while back, basically, no specific requirements!  Does it show you need to do the Cornerstone/Capstone with them?  How many total credits?  Heck, why won't you list your evaluation from them and the courses applied...

So, I just had my evaluation done this month with Excelsior. They took a lot of my previous credits. I have a B.S. in public administration with an emphasis in intelligence studies, so some of those credits applied. I also have an M.Ed. that satisfied some elective credits. It's a completely unrelated degree, however. I'm currently enrolled in 2 other courses that will satisfy the HSEM credits through my local university, and then I just need to get the other "foo foo" UL credits out of the way. I now see I can accomplish that on Study.com.

The requirement is that I complete  at least 12 credits with Excelsior, however, and that includes the Cornerstone and Capstone courses.

(02-25-2020, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Study.com has tons.  Not sure why they don't come up correctly when you choose "college credit" and "junior/senior," because you would think that only 300-level and 400-level courses would come up (or courses that ACE/NCCRS considers UL would be even more helpful), but you haven't gone through enough pages.  When I do this, there are 14 pages of courses, and if you skip to page 14, they're almost all 300-level.  So, you could go backwards.

The other thing you can do is choose courses based on subject - so narrow it down even further.  Choose "college credit" and "junior/senior" and then "history" or "Psychology" or whatever subject, and there are only a few courses.  You should also check ACE/NCCRS to see what they consider the courses - not all of Study.com's 300-level courses are considered UL by ACE/NCCRS, unfortunately.

Thank you for the advice. I see them now. *face palm* I wasn't being diligent about the ACE/NCCRS thing, though. I'll make sure I'm only spending my time on courses that have that designation.
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
I find it surprising that you still need 30cr of UL throughout the degree when you already have a BS and an MA. That makes zero sense. Oh well, they're easy enough to find.

There are also ones at Coopersmith, Davar, and DSST. One CJ course through TEEX that's UL and only $75 that's gotten rave reviews on here.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-25-2020, 04:43 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I find it surprising that you still need 30cr of UL throughout the degree when you already have a BS and an MA.  That makes zero sense.  Oh well, they're easy enough to find.

There are also ones at Coopersmith, Davar, and DSST.  One CJ course through TEEX that's UL and only $75 that's gotten rave reviews on here.

Ah, I should mention that my B.S. was a 90/30 partnership between my community college and a local university. I forgot to mention that. So, it makes sense. I basically only completed 30 credits of upper level credits for my bachelor's degree. My master's degree has absolutely nothing to do with the BS in HSEM, so I can understand that, although Excelsior did take a few credits for electives. That was nice.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check out those other resources, as well.
Completed Degrees

Degrees in Progress
Just curious - Have you checked the cost/course requirements from Excelsior vs TESU? Did you get a chance to read the previous thread? I did a quick run down of Excelsior vs TESU and may swing things a different way. From reading this thread though, it maybe the way to go (with Excelsior with 12 credits vs 16 at TESU for residency credits... but... I would still "think it over") .
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Study.com doesn’t make it easy.  I made the mistake of taking a 300 level course which didn’t give UL credit.   Look in the course syllabus.   It will say which organization has reviewed the course and whether it’s upper lever or lower level credit.
(03-03-2020, 02:18 PM)ddillenberger Wrote: Study.com doesn’t make it easy.  I made the mistake of taking a 300 level course which didn’t give UL credit.   Look in the course syllabus.   It will say which organization has reviewed the course and whether it’s upper lever or lower level credit.

Study.com has their courses listed the way they do PRIOR to getting an eval by ACE - and then it's up to ACE to decide whether it's LL or UL credit.  Then schools get to decide from there whether to follow ACE guidelines.

But yes, you should always check at the source of credit (ACE/NCCRS) to see what they say the course is.  And find out from your school as well, if you can.
study.com has dozens of UL courses

https://study.com/college/school/excelsior-college.html

that lists the UL ones that Excelsior accepts
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 849 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 679 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 8 7,148 03-29-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Dnightowl
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 468,055 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,632 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  Study.Com Upcoming changes to courses Vin 4 1,011 02-13-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
Thumbs Up Sophia Review: Finished 6 Courses in 1 Week Ares 11 1,977 02-11-2024, 04:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Equivalents for Old SNHU Gen Ed Courses Spalmer 6 568 02-11-2024, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Spalmer
  SeeMore courses other than CSM (or: has anyone transferred a non-ACE/NCCRS course?) vaticidalprophet 5 322 01-24-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 694 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat