Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does this degree plan UMPI for accounting look?
If you need 150 credits, it sounds like the cheapest course of action would be to do the BA Accounting and add a second or third minor to get to 150. Use tuition reimbursement, if you can get it, to pay for your Master's.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-15-2021, 02:04 AM)NoStudentNoCry Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 09:11 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Some states require 150 credits

All states now require 150 credits. The only exception is U.S. Virgin Island. 
Some states allow you to take exam with 120 cr, but even if you pass all sections, you still must show 150 credits to become licensed.
This is right. You can sit for the exam with 120 credits and get the remainder of credits after you pass. Then become licenced after you get the full 130. That way you can get on the job faster and gain experience.

(10-14-2021, 08:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 04:58 PM)thecontrarian Wrote:
(10-14-2021, 02:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want to be a CPA, you should choose the BA in Accounting.

As long as he gets 8 in accounting and 8 in business isn't he good to go in NJ whatever degree he does?

Call me crazy, but if someone wants to be a CPA, wouldn't they want to take as many accounting courses as possible?  I personally would take even more than necessary - because I want to be exposed to as much as possible.  If that's going to be your job (and if you go to work for one of the Big 4 (3?) it's going to be for 60-80 hour weeks for the first couple of years), you're better off with more, not just the minimum.

It's not necessary to take as many accounting courses as possible. Reason being, there is a lot to learn on the job.  To me, its about getting into the practice and getting exposed through hands on experience and through interaction in the field with other accountants on the job.

Schooling is important but no one learns the ins and out of the trade in school. Nothing beats old-fashioned learning through experience.  I believe that's why apprenticeships were a main way of learning a trade in times past.

Just my $.02.

I am not against more classes but I just want the fastest way to get to work. That being said I am most likely taking the BA Accounting.

(10-15-2021, 04:18 AM)rachel83az Wrote: If you need 150 credits, it sounds like the cheapest course of action would be to do the BA Accounting and add a second or third minor to get to 150. Use tuition reimbursement, if you can get it, to pay for your Master's.

That's a great idea. I was just thinking that this morning.  With a minor, do the credits have to be completed at UMPI? Or will they take even more transfer credits? I mean, they require 10 classes at UMPI, so will they require all the minor credits to be completed there as well?

What minor do you think goes well with accounting? My ultimate goal is to work for myself as a CPA.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
I'm not 100% sure how the minors and concentrations work at UMPI, but I think that either Marketing or Management would work well if you ultimately intend to work for yourself. If you start a small accounting firm, management will help you with managing employees. Marketing would help you to grow your business.

Yes, you're allowed to bring in more alternate credits if you add another minor/concentration, but I'm not 100% sure how it all works.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(10-15-2021, 07:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [quote pid='349113' dateline='1634260496']
(10-14-2021, 02:38 PM)dfrecore Wrote: If you want to be a CPA, you should choose the BA in Accounting.

As long as he gets 8 in accounting and 8 in business isn't he good to go in NJ whatever degree he does?

Call me crazy, but if someone wants to be a CPA, wouldn't they want to take as many accounting courses as possible?  I personally would take even more than necessary - because I want to be exposed to as much as possible.  If that's going to be your job (and if you go to work for one of the Big 4 (3?) it's going to be for 60-80 hour weeks for the first couple of years), you're better off with more, not just the minimum.

It's not necessary to take as many accounting courses as possible. Reason being, there is a lot to learn on the job.  To me, its about getting into the practice and getting exposed through hands on experience and through interaction in the field with other accountants on the job.

Schooling is important but no one learns the ins and out of the trade in school. Nothing beats old-fashioned learning through experience.  I believe that's why apprenticeships were a main way of learning a trade in times past.

Just my $.02.

I am not against more classes but I just want the fastest way to get to work. That being said I am most likely taking the BA Accounting.

[/quote]

100% agree with you Ace. Thats how I'm approaching it too.

Speed is everything to me. Maybe the only 1 thing, haha, guilty as charged! I cut away all the tough accounting courses. I picked all the easy gen ed courses. I don't even care if my degree is in accounting (although it is). My goal is only get a degree with 24 biz + 24 accounting that meets the boards. My fathers a CPA. Got loads of relatives who are CPAs, EAs or accountants. They told me they don't even use 10% of what they learn in college in their gig. Their advice was to just get the degree over as quick as possible and move on to the board exam and into a job where I can pick up what I really need. Maybe i regret that 5 years from now, IDK.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thecontrarian's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(10-15-2021, 07:48 AM)acethroughcollege Wrote: That's a great idea. I was just thinking that this morning.  With a minor, do the credits have to be completed at UMPI? Or will they take even more transfer credits? I mean, they require 10 classes at UMPI, so will they require all the minor credits to be completed there as well?

What minor do you think goes well with accounting? My ultimate goal is to work for myself as a CPA.

For a bachelor's degree, they will only accept 90 credits towards the degree. Doesn't matter if you complete 120, 150, or 200 credits at UMPI. The max they will allow towards a degree is 90. I graduated with over 120 credits on my bachelor's degree. Yes, you still have to take some of the minor classes at UMPI. They require a minimum of 10 classes. You also have to take the majority of the UL courses at UMPI. The management minor would go along with the BA in Accounting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • thecontrarian
(10-15-2021, 09:35 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 07:48 AM)acethroughcollege Wrote: That's a great idea. I was just thinking that this morning.  With a minor, do the credits have to be completed at UMPI? Or will they take even more transfer credits? I mean, they require 10 classes at UMPI, so will they require all the minor credits to be completed there as well?

For a bachelor's degree, they will only accept 90 credits towards the degree. Doesn't matter if you complete 120, 150, or 200 credits at UMPI. The max they will allow towards a degree is 90. I graduated with over 120 credits on my bachelor's degree. Yes, you still have to take some of the minor classes at UMPI. They require a minimum of 10 classes. You also have to take the majority of the UL courses at UMPI. The management minor would go along with the BA in Accounting.

In that case it may be best financially to get the 30 extra credits after. @thecontrarian said he knows of way sot get the remainder 30 credits for cheap or free.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
(10-15-2021, 09:03 AM)thecontrarian Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 07:48 AM)dfrecore Wrote: [quote pid='349113' dateline='1634260496']

Just my $.02.

I am not against more classes but I just want the fastest way to get to work. That being said I am most likely taking the BA Accounting.

Speed is everything to me. Maybe the only 1 thing, haha, guilty as charged! I cut away all the tough accounting courses. I picked all the easy gen ed courses. I don't even care if my degree is in accounting (although it is). My goal is only get a degree with 24 biz + 24 accounting that meets the boards. My fathers a CPA. Got loads of relatives who are CPAs, EAs or accountants. They told me they don't even use 10% of what they learn in college in their gig. Their advice was to just get the degree over as quick as possible and move on to the board exam and into a job where I can pick up what I really need. Maybe i regret that 5 years from now, IDK.
[/quote]

It seems odd to me that you don't even work in the field yet, but are saying you cut out as many hard accounting courses as possible.  You don't yet know if that will be a problem or not!.

While I understand that people (even CPA's) may say "I only use 10% of what I learned in school", I don't think that means you should not take as many courses as possible in your major.  YOU ARE CHOOSING THAT MAJOR.  Why not make the most of it? Why not take as many courses as you can in the field you want to work in? It doesn't make any sense to me.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • LevelUP
(10-15-2021, 11:12 AM)dfrecore Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 09:03 AM)thecontrarian Wrote:

Just my $.02.

It seems odd to me that you don't even work in the field yet, but are saying you cut out as many hard accounting courses as possible.  You don't yet know if that will be a problem or not!.

While I understand that people (even CPA's) may say "I only use 10% of what I learned in school", I don't think that means you should not take as many courses as possible in your major.  YOU ARE CHOOSING THAT MAJOR.  Why not make the most of it? Why not take as many courses as you can in the field you want to work in? It doesn't make any sense to me.
[/quote]

@dfrecore - 

I learned lotz from your posts so pls don't take this as a dis but its just a challenge to that reply. Isn't what you're suggesting the old way of doing stuff?  Learn tonz of book stuff in school then apply on the job. 

Theres about 20 or 30 accounting courses I could take and your right I don't know if I'd like the gigs in any of those areas at all.  I could spend years and years stuidying this stuff. Thats too much.

If we applied your theory to the max then I should really go back and re-do the Principles of Marketting CLEP too.  Its on the mandatory list at TESU and important to accountants I guess. Well I sort of skimmed the CLEP book on Tuesday this week and did the exam that same afternoon. 

Instead my idea is get to the CPA as quick as poss and when I get there I'll see what I like or dont. Maybe I won't be the GOAT CPA who know it all, but I'll know enough to figure it out.

I don't think its just people here doing this. My buddy learned how to replace his break pads watching a guy on YT. 

I think nowadays hacking your way thru get more respect. Again no disrespect and this isn't a flex or anything, its just how I figured out my path here with everyones help.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thecontrarian's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(10-15-2021, 12:17 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: I learned lotz from your posts so pls don't take this as a dis but its just a challenge to that reply. Isn't what you're suggesting the old way of doing stuff?  Learn tonz of book stuff in school then apply on the job. 

If you think flying through school to get your college degree in 6-12 months is the old way, then I like to learn the new way lol.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-15-2021, 12:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 12:17 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: I learned lotz from your posts so pls don't take this as a dis but its just a challenge to that reply. Isn't what you're suggesting the old way of doing stuff?  Learn tonz of book stuff in school then apply on the job. 

If you think flying through school to get your college degree in 6-12 months is the old way, then I like to learn the new way lol.

LOL.

Isnt' there some dude who did the BA in 4 weeks or something?

(and before anyone get upset, I'm j/k not planning to do anything in 4 wks).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 21 238 9 minutes ago
Last Post: ss20ts
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 111 3 hours ago
Last Post: curious
  Dr Tree Man - BA in Psychology - UMPI YourPace Dr Tree Man 10 181 Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 7 260 Yesterday, 12:01 AM
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,469 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,845 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 170 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 281 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 946 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 8 182 03-25-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Piwi737