Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does this degree plan UMPI for accounting look?
(10-15-2021, 12:36 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: LOL.

Isnt' there some dude who did the BA in 4 weeks or something?

(and before anyone get upset, I'm j/k not planning to do anything in 4 wks).

Yes, an old website claimed to have gotten a college degree in 4wks using only CLEPS/DSST's, which is not possible now due to changes in UL's and capstone required. However, that website never really showed how one could study fast enough to take 3 CLEPS each day. It seemed pretty impossible to me.

This is coming from someone that has completed ACE courses in 3 hours multiple times.

You want to talk about real speed, we can talk about a guy that did a WGU Master's in less than 2 weeks.  Google that.  Something Google won't tell you, that guy was a high school dropout that never made it past the 10th grade.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • thecontrarian
I think what @thecontrarian was saying is that the new way is what we are all here doing.
I'd like to add that no entry level job expects you to know your profession right out of school.

A person can be in law school for 4 years and never be able to argue a case until they get in the trenches.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes acethroughcollege's post:
  • thecontrarian
(10-15-2021, 12:36 PM)thecontrarian Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 12:28 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 12:17 PM)thecontrarian Wrote: I learned lotz from your posts so pls don't take this as a dis but its just a challenge to that reply. Isn't what you're suggesting the old way of doing stuff?  Learn tonz of book stuff in school then apply on the job. 

If you think flying through school to get your college degree in 6-12 months is the old way, then I like to learn the new way lol.

LOL.

Isnt' there some dude who did the BA in 4 weeks or something?

(and before anyone get upset, I'm j/k not planning to do anything in 4 wks).

It was 2004 that he did this.

He was in the military, he got free CLEP & DSST exams, and back then got unlimited retakes.  So he didn't study for any of them, took as many as he wanted, then went back and studied for ones that he didn't pass.  So he didn't waste a single second studying for things he didn't need to.

Also, many DSST exams were UL at the time.

And, of course, EC had different policies at the time.  Back then, they took GRE exams, and if you scored in the 80th percentile, they'd give you 30cr (12cr LL and 18cr UL).  That is no longer the case.  They also accepted the CLEP English Comp exam for their Written English requirements (they no longer do).

They also did not require a capstone (or cornerstone) course to be taken there.  All 120 credits could be done via test-out.  TESU was the same, it did not require a capstone for the BSBA when I enrolled in 2014.  You could take the TECEP or bring it in from elsewhere (Penn Foster had a course for ~$250).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Pikachu, thecontrarian
(10-15-2021, 02:27 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: I think what @thecontrarian was saying is that the new way is what we are all here doing.  
I'd like to add that no entry level job expects you to know your profession right out of school.

A person can be in law school for 4 years and never be able to argue a case until they get in the trenches.

dfrecore I don't think was suggesting that you waste time.  People here are going to try to point you to the quickest route to complete your degree based on past experiences from other college students. 

There is a bit of confusion on this thread because we have one person going the UMPI route (acethroughcollege) for the accounting degree and one going the TESU route (thecontrarian).

(10-15-2021, 02:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It was 2004 that he did this.

He was in the military, he got free CLEP & DSST exams, and back then got unlimited retakes.  So he didn't study for any of them, took as many as he wanted, then went back and studied for ones that he didn't pass.  So he didn't waste a single second studying for things he didn't need to.

The military average pass rate for these exams is only 40%.  Fail, and you have to wait 90 days to retake an exam.

I took American Government in High School, and the CLEP covered far more than just the basics of American Government. Unfortunately, I had to study for a week to pass that exam. 

Military members probably think American Government is easy. That's why they fail it 75% of the time.

If you can't pass the practice exam, you will have to study, no way to get around that.  That's the part of the website that makes no sense to me.  It's BA in a month, or it's 6 months, no in-betweens.

Some schools only take CLEP/DSST/AP, so they must go that route. For the Big 3 + the top CBE schools, I will usually suggest people go to Sophia first and not bother with CLEP's, since it is not worth the trouble.  It's a lot easier for most people to have a self-contained course rather than having to come up with their own external resources and study plan.

Attached Files
.pdf   FY17_CLEP_Military_Pass_Rates - YTD.pdf (Size: 22.56 KB / Downloads: 7)
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like LevelUP's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
(10-15-2021, 10:09 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(10-15-2021, 02:29 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It was 2004 that he did this.

The military average pass rate for these exams is only 40%.  Fail, and you have to wait 90 days to retake an exam.

I took American Government in High School, and the CLEP covered far more than just the basics of American Government. Unfortunately, I had to study for a week to pass that exam. 

Military members probably think American Government is easy. That's why they fail it 75% of the time.

If you can't pass the practice exam, you will have to study, no way to get around that.  That's the part of the website that makes no sense to me.  It's BA in a month, or it's 6 months, no in-betweens.

Some schools only take CLEP/DSST/AP, so they must go that route. For the Big 3 + the top CBE schools, I will usually suggest people go to Sophia first and not bother with CLEP's, since it is not worth the trouble.  It's a lot easier for most people to have a self-contained course rather than having to come up with their own external resources and study plan.

As I said, this was back in the early 2000's.  I don't think there was a 90-day waiting period for retakes back then.

Also, he had other options besides CLEP.  I think after CLEP and DSST, he actually took one of the GRE exams and passed in the 80th percentile, so he was no dummy.  I also think he passed something like 10 UExcel exams IIRC.

So he went for the low-hanging fruit first (free CLEP & DSST), then filled in the rest with GRE and UExcel.  I think he was able to take all of these on base.  He also studied for multiple exams at the same time (so like the Psych GRE + Psych UExcel exams + Psych CLEP & DSST exams).  This way, you could really maximize your time.

He actually did all of this back then, and I also have a friend who got an AA entirely through CLEP & DSST exams, with no studying, so it is possible to do.  But you have to be a good test-taker, and not everyone is.  Luckily now, you aren't limited to exams - you can do courses via multiple alt-credit providers that did not exist at the time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with a UMPI Question colonelcamp 11 210 1 hour ago
Last Post: indigoshuffle
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 0 15 1 hour ago
Last Post: smartfion
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 585 Yesterday, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,162 Yesterday, 05:21 AM
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,899 Yesterday, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 200 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 194 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,105 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 523 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,291 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77