Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How has your degree improved your life?
I'm 26 turning 27 this year. I got my degree last year at the age of 25. It was a relief to finally have a degree, and in something I wanted a degree in. At the end of highschool I didn't know what I wanted to do and my parents were in debt already so I didn't go to any college traditionally. I just worked.
I didn't make the best salaries or hourlies with no degree, and even with an amazing internship from a well known company(which I leveraged through a connection), companies just weren't interested in me. I was put in the "No degree pile" and filtered out.

After I obtained my degree in Business Administration, I started getting phone interviews. I did poorly with most of them at first, I had never gotten these interviews. I had choices, on linkedIn, I had four recruiters asking me to setup an interview with them, the first one that ever asked I messaged them right away and setup a call. At this point in life, I was pretty depressed, but I chugged some coffee and talked to the recruiter. That led to me being interviewed by the company's hr over the phone(different day, another cup of coffee), then the potential future manager also ver the phone, which eventually led to a double panel interview at the company and then I got the job.

My degree was from Thomas Edison State University, I paid less for two years of upper division than I did for two years of my lower division at Community College(still a great experience and value though).

I probably sound like some sort of advertisement, but this degree has finally given me what I've wanted all this time:
To feel, be treated and paid like an adult.
I just finished my first work week and I can so far say, that i'm passionate and love my work. how many people can even say that? I genuinely, at this time, feel this way. 

I make $55,000 a year and have opportunities for earning bonuses on top of my salary. I have 4% 401K matching and medical benefits(bronze costs me like $22).

My mom said I'm like my kid self again, when i talked to everyone with a dumb smile on my face. For me, a college degree was life changing. And I am a better person towards others because I am surrounded by genuine happiness Smile

Happy to answer any questions (if they're too private I will pm within a few days).
Started Sept. 2016 -Thomas Edison State Univeristy - BSBA - Marketing 120/120 DONE
ACE/ALT 41 CR
TECEP: 15 CR
ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra l College Algebra l Statistics l
The Institutes: Ethics
Saylor: Principles of Marketing
Straighterline: American Government l Intro to Religion l Principles of Management l English Comp II l
Study.com : Business 308 l History 108 l Principles of Finance l Digital Marketing
CSU CBE: Market Research l
TECEP: Strategic Management l  Public relations l Advertising l Sales Mgmt l Marketing Comm
Community College B&M Courses (2013-2015) 64 CR General Ed. and Business
Short-term Objective: TESU BSBA in Marketing by Sept. 2017 (DONE!) Graduating in June
Long-term Objective: Career in marketing then eventually MBA or MSC in Marketing later on  
[-] The following 6 users Like TESUAbroad's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Joeman200, Life Long Learning, mudball, Study.com, suzycupcake
(11-18-2017, 01:03 AM)Life Long Learning Wrote: Hoods?  What does that mean?  Level of education by size?  Color?

I've been on a quest to figure out what TESU's are...

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28263
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

(01-20-2018, 01:03 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: I've been on a quest to figure out what TESU's are...

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28263

Burgundy and beige according to Wikipedia...
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
My degree helped me get into senior international sales management and travel to over 60 countries! I'm taking a break now because I decided that I actually liked seeing my family, but I couldn't have done it without my masters.... which I couldn't have gotten without COSC. I couldn't have done any of it without all of the supportive people here!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 2 users Like burbuja0512's post:
  • Study.com, suzycupcake
My degree has yet to improve my life, at least in the traditional sense. My journey toward a BS opened my eyes back to how much I loved the process and results of education, which got me reading, which gave me a lot of actionable tips in life. My life is 5x better than it was before getting my BS, and not at all from the degree itself, but from the work I did on the way to getting the degree.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 3 users Like Thorne's post:
  • burbuja0512, jsd, Study.com
(06-30-2018, 01:57 AM)ElisaTartt Wrote: My degree gives me respect from others. really i was excited with that. I got appreciation also.. The most thing is after my graduation i have changed a lot by myself, or sharing the culture with friends, the educational systems's view, all are changed me alot. Before going to college i was shy and lazy. No I am extremely not. I am proud of that

" Are you looking for best buy essay services? Buy essays online from a reputed company to enhance your academics. Essays are always needed for school as well as college students. This is the best way to enhance your academics. The essays are written by well experienced professional writers of different country. Here the buy essays are at cheap rate. We are capable to deliver tour needs on time."

Does advertising for an academic essay writing service also get you respect from others?
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
I was working as a Customer Service Rep when started this journey in April of 2017, and I was mainly working during downtime at my job, in December of 2017 I had a unique opportunity to speak with the CEO of my company at a holiday party, and told him about the process at TESU. He was very impressed with the work I was doing both in my job and outside of it. In February 2018 I got a promotion and I am now the Marketing Operations Coordinator in a company that is rapidly growing, got a 10k/year raise, and went on my first business trip within the last month. I sincerely believe that I would not have gotten the promotion that I did without TESU, and more importantly, THIS FORUM! The initiative that I showed both in my job and to better myself outside of it was mentioned multiple times during the promotion process and I would not have known how to navigate the process without the help of the incredibly kind people here answering all of my questions.
[-] The following 3 users Like lmckown's post:
  • dfrecore, ISKBizz15, Zippadeedoodah
My degree improved my life by improving my self esteem. I worked in chemical Laboratories for over 30 years and I really knew the stuff I was working with, but I didn't even have an Associates degree. Whenever talk at a conference, meeting, Dinner turned to education I always dreaded the inevitable "Where did you go to school" I always played down my community college credits that were from 3 different CC's and said demurely, I don't have a degree yet, I do hope to finish mine someday. After that the conversation would change and I would just drop out of the talking. I always felt a failure in that way.

I was also very involved with my children's' schools and one day the Superintendent was complaining about the lack of quality substitutes she turned to me and said Why don't you become a sub. I had to say embarrassed I don't have the 60 credits required to be a sub. As soon as I got those 60 credits I went back to sign up as a sub and the Super and her assistant were thrilled to see me.

Through the substitute teaching I found that teaching was what I really wanted to do, so I started down the road to alternate certification. I loved all the teaching I did do but I had to leave NJ before I was done.

When I moved to NY I went back to the Lab and tried to get a job at a big name lab near home. I put in one resume and I got called for a phone interview. That went very well and I was called in for an in-person interview. In the beginning with the HR person I felt great and she told me she admired me for going back and getting my degree while working. She knew TESC was online and she knew it took self motivation to do that. Then I started meeting with department heads and I felt like I was talking to children. No one I met was over 40 (I was 59) and it just felt like the only people over 40 in the building were the cleaning people. So I didn't get that job and I figure that was ageism rearing its ugly head,

So I started going to South Carolina where I could substitute and get offered all kinds of teaching positions because of my degree and background.

Although I didn't get my BA until I was in my mid 50's I am still glad I did it. I retired at 62 so I don't use it at all , BUT I can say I have a degree and that makes me feel good, most people don't know I waited until my 50's to get it. I just feel more secure when any conversation turns to education I have a better answer and I am not embarrassed as to where or when I got it.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
[-] The following 2 users Like Lindagerr's post:
  • davewill, suzycupcake
I thought this thread deserved a bump and some updates, I figure a few folks have likely profited from their degree since the last round of posts. I just got a new job with a nice bump in pay. This was by far the smoothest the job hunting process has ever gone. I was interviewing for four different positions, and got three of them into the offer stage...which helped increase the size of the offer I did accept. I know for a fact that three of the four would NOT have interviewed me without the degree...and the one that might have was the least attractive of the four, a smaller company doing less interesting tech (and not the one I chose).

You guys who are thinking that getting your degree in your fifties is too late ought to think again!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 6 users Like davewill's post:
  • alab21, allvia, dfrecore, MrBossmanJr, Muldoon, suzycupcake
Having a bachelor's degree opens up a lot of positions that I've seen use the one liner "requires bachelor's degree". These are like the administrative jobs though, but they normally pay around $50k+ here in PA. So, anyone living here in PA with a bachelor's degree should be able to find a job paying at least $50k. I've applied and had numerous offers already, but I'm looking for an internship in my field of study.

With that being said, having a bachelor's degree is amazing lol.
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies
[-] The following 2 users Like MrBossmanJr's post:
  • davewill, suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 665 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Abide University Honorary Doctors Degree bjcheung77 0 541 07-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TEFL opportunities without a degree Personherebb9 3 488 06-11-2023, 03:09 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Video A Modern Movie That Shows the Brutal Life of Communism LevelUP 1 531 04-10-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Sad My Whole Life Was a Lie LevelUP 10 4,011 07-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  A Conversation About Inflation, Life Abroad, and Education Kal Di 0 532 05-31-2022, 05:02 PM
Last Post: Kal Di
  Why African Americans Prefer Life in Africa Kal Di 18 1,504 05-19-2022, 08:06 AM
Last Post: Tedium
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 5,741 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  How to Minimize Inflation in Your Life Kal Di 16 1,524 03-24-2022, 08:43 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  for those who have a math degree - is your job math related ? bluebooger 0 528 03-22-2022, 11:42 AM
Last Post: bluebooger