Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEEX Basic Property Technician issues
I recently completed Death Investigation and that all went fine. I liked how it was structured and could find all relevant information I needed. I'm not having the same experience with this Basic Property course. I'd just like to ask others how they went about this because clearly I must be doing something wrong. I just cannot find the information I need to make decisions in the course. 
There are two manuals within the course: Policies and Procedures and Code of Criminal Procedure.
And a number that take you outside the course to Texas.gov websites.

https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/?link=PE
https://www.dps.texas.gov/CrimeLaborator...manual.pdf
https://statutes.capitol.texas.gov/docs/...HS.481.htm

If you are constantly supposed to be looking for information in those .gov sites, that is literally like a needle in a haystack. Even using the web-browser "find" function, I have yet to find anything very useful. The only way I've made it to the end of the course is making at least a few pages of notes on all the types of evidence and what have you, and how you are supposed to deal with it through trial and error. As well as what the course tells you before you start your virtual day at the office. I know I'll bomb the exam if I take it. I have never had this kind of trouble in a course before. 

I'd also like to know if the fingerprint course is more like Death Investigation or the Property course, for anyone that has taken all three.
BPT was definitely harder to get done than other TEEX courses for the reasons you mentioned. You have to listen to the dialogue for a lot of things. Then, some of it was "learn on the job from making mistakes". I remember some of the days I had to redo from start to get my points to continue. Sometimes the right thing was not right, or had an error. (some of the evidence cards that had date and time errors should have been sent back, but that wasn't the lesson yet. or other mistakes on the cards but the course didn't realize it). I felt some of the day to day operation stuff was set up to make you do it wrong so you could learn why it was wrong and then repeat it later to get full points and move on. I don't remember using the outside of the course links. I used the two manuals a lot. But not all of that was helping me either.
so, yeah, I found this course frustrating compared to death investigation and the cybersecurity one. The first time I took the end of course test in BPT I treated it like pre test and made sure I had a way to have everything open to find little stuff. Then passed on second try. I got through it and had to ask tesu a second time to look at my ace transcript to see the course. it was added as a 200 level AOJ course.

didn't take fingerprint course.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

[-] The following 1 user Likes P226mem's post:
  • ARhead
(07-17-2020, 12:50 PM)ARhead Wrote: I'd also like to know if the fingerprint course is more like Death Investigation or the Property course, for anyone that has taken all three.

The fingerprint course is more like Death Investigation, not an goofy, augmented 90's video game like Basic Property Technician.  I don't think you'll be heaving a sigh of relief, though.  I remember viewing two fingerprints I was supposed to be comparing and thinking, "You have got to be kidding me.  This is impossible.  They're badly smudged, and what detail I can make out seems identical."  I enjoyed it, but I did find it challenging.

(07-17-2020, 02:07 PM)P226mem Wrote: You have to listen to the dialogue for a lot of things.  Then, some of it was "learn on the job from making mistakes".

That's the key.  For me, the biggest problem in Basic Property Technician was keeping track of mundane details like case numbers, dates, and so on.  I found it to be a well-thought-out course, even though the delivery system is silly, because those mundane details are what that job is really all about.  I blundered through, made my share of mistakes, started over and eventually got it right.  I did find it challenging to have to search for answers in so many places, but again, that's not unrealistic in terms of the actual job responsibilities.

That's my 2¢.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ctcarl's post:
  • ARhead
Quote:I did find it challenging to have to search for answers in so many places, but again, that's not unrealistic in terms of the actual job responsibilities.

That was my take away.

The mundane details weren't that bad for me to track. But in real life, I expect I would be able to look up an evidence card to double check things. Or I could ask someone to repeat what they said (vs the course game it was one and done). I still got annoyed when the program was letting some of the evidence cards go through when they had errors. I didn't like having points taken away for bugs and/or errors of the game/course (vs. me just getting it wrong). But hey, at the end of the course, I got through it. wasn't perfect course but passed. I wouldn't list this on my resume that I'm able to be hired. kwim? Oh, I was watching a rerun of NCIS last week and noticed they had the gun in correct way in the evidence box. I wouldn't have known that detail before the course. Made it fun after the fact.
TESU: BALS June 2021 (comm college, clep, sdc sophia coopersmith, SOS110, and capstone)

Thanks to both of you.
YYYEAAAAHHH BUUDDDYYYY!!!!!
I just really took my time with the exam and passed with an 80%, which is the cutoff. Thankfully I don't have to repeat that. That is my least favorite course I've done so far.
I wasn't sure if the exam was going to be multiple choice or more of the video game, I'm glad it was multiple choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 8 690 04-08-2024, 11:32 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Credly Badge Denied, TEEX Disaster Management for Water & Wastewater Utilities sixdegreesandamovie 3 308 03-07-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,923 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Teex - How long for Credly badges to show up? nyjosh 14 2,484 05-13-2023, 02:56 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  TEEX Accrediation creationstory 15 3,197 02-06-2023, 02:58 AM
Last Post: jessica222
  Welcome back, TEEX! rachel83az 25 4,500 01-23-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: Blckbuster
  Will a basic plan work for me while I submit my SDC assignments? acethroughcollege 2 714 05-25-2022, 11:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TEEX Course Numbering creationstory 8 1,279 10-01-2021, 03:49 AM
Last Post: creationstory
  TEEX to Acclaim/Credly TwinMom 42 7,069 09-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Last Post: RiverM
  Is TESU asking the impossible Re: TEEX credits? rachel83az 38 5,975 08-23-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: jch