Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does TESU BALS take to finish from scratch?
Using mostly Study.com, SL, Shmoop and some CC, TEEX, Sophia. I have no college credits.

I downloaded somebody’s 2018 TESU BALS spreadsheet here. I think it may include a Psych minor. I cannot remmeber who posted it. I’m about to get started and want to know if a year is doable. 9 Months even better. Not including the A&P I &II, Chemistry and Bio I &II.

I included a screenshot below of the spreadsheet. If you know the greater I would like to know too.

If you took any of these courses and have any feedback it would be appreciated. Especially if you completed a group of them in a short time. Thank you!

Thank you.

Attached Files
.png   26B195BC-EE02-4664-990B-FC17F23BC271.png (Size: 264.28 KB / Downloads: 97)
Yeah, that template was created for a fellow member. I did that for him, but that's because he has college credits from a school in Pittsburgh. If you're starting from scratch, it all depends on how much time you have. I had someone follow my plan and he finished it in 4 months, doing 10 hours a day for those. So, in 4 months, 1200 hours or 16 weeks of 10 hour days - he was done.

To answer your question, you have to answer mine, review the spreadsheets within the Beginners Guide, and decide on a degree. Do you have kids/family? Are you working full time? How many hours a day can you work on the courses? For example, you have 5 hours a day. Then it would take about 8 months, still 1200 hours, but 32 weeks of 5 hour days. Do you have 2.5 hours? That would be your 1 year right there...

Use this as your accountability thread. Start with the free courses, and work on Shmoop if you're going with a BALS or SL/Study.com for a BSBA, again - either degree can be had for cheap/easy/fast, BALS would be slightly ahead in those 3 categories, but BSBA would be more useful. BTW, welcome to the board, where are you from? You're the same age a my bro-in-law.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Quite honestly, it all depends on you.

I am leery about finishing too quickly, and having to discuss it at an interview (if it comes up). Some on here as the above poster states have completed four year degrees hyperfast (<1 yr). Others with jobs and families clock in around 2-5 years.

Assuming (and, that's a BIG assumption) all the loose ends tie, I get graded favorably on my remaining coursework, I will graduate in two years bringing around 25-30 credits into the equation from a prior attempt at college and from an undergrad certificate.

I'm also only working part time, and I shut myself off from the world this past 18 months. I will be rewarded for it, but I struggle as an academic student.

IF you are fresh from academic schooling, IF you know how to speak academic, IF you have good computer skills and access, IF you have excellent time management skills, IF you have mechanisms in place to deal with burnout / you don't burn out on homework, IF finances aren't an issue and IF life doesn't intrude, you could complete an accredited, valid Bachelors in a year or less.

If you're like me, and re-entering academic life after a bunch of years away, unless you're really good at retaining data to regurgitate in proctored exams, you may be better served by a more conservative approach.

One thing I was unprepared for: I thought this was kind of a 'diploma mill' path - stroke a check, get credits, get a degree. With the speed at which some accumulate credits (myself included), it can outwardly appear this way, but I assure you, it's not. I haven't found it to be that way. It's exactly like school with nobody to teach you - you gotta put the learning in on your own.

I am out of my lane offering credit advice, but a common thread seems to be pick a content provider (straighterline and study.com are popular), and start knocking out what are called 'core credits'. These apply to pretty much all degrees, like math, science, reading... You need around 60 credits worth of those.

As you get into the rhythm, some degrees will make more sense to follow than others (unless you need a specific degree from the onset). Those are called area of study credits (they are actually the fun ones...)

Good luck, and it gets done the faster you begin!!
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

[-] The following 1 user Likes High_Order1's post:
  • allvia
While I didn't do BALS, I did Social Science, it's essentially the same thing. I did mine in 18 months. The first 6 months were only testing - I accumulated my AA (except math and science) as well as my electives and started classes at TESU with the intent of taking 4 terms. I took 6 credits per term and then bumped it up to 9 and then enrolled at my local CC to be sure I hit my target. One term I had 21 credits (not suggested) but I kept testing in there too- in all, 18 months from first credit to last. Had I opted not to take classes for my major, I might have been able to go faster, but I wanted to "experience college classes" lol but it did help for grad school. Anyway, at the time, other members here were FLYING past me like I was standing still. I don't read as much here about speed as I used to, but I think you could easily plan for under 2 years from zero as a reasonable goal. 1 1/2 is for sure attainable, once you start getting into the 12 month goal range you really have to be super-organized and watch deadlines, etc.
All of the answers above...just depends on a lot of factors and where you get your credits from and how much background knowledge you already have.
If you are studying to learn, it's going to take longer.
If you just want a bunch of credits fast there are methods for doing that with very little study time. I've heard of people on here just clicking randomly on the study.com quizzes without doing any of the lessons and going straight to the final exam cold. Same with shmoop courses - just taking as many tests as you can without reviewing the material and if you pass a course you get the credit, if you don't you just move on to the next course.
I personally never could do that. But I still went fast. I finished over 40 credits in 12 weeks. That was taking the time to read everything, study for exams and taking all the quizzes/practice exams etc. But I had a lot of free time and I already had a couple of decades of stops and starts at various schools, work experience etc. I did get a little burnt out just doing that much in 12 weeks. I didn't really sleep either. I had no life outside of family commitments and school. And I wasn't even starting from scratch - I already had almost 90 credits transfer over.
Can you finish in months? Less than a year? Maybe. But regardless, six months from now you'll definitely be a lot further long than you are now.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
(12-21-2017, 12:48 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yeah, that template was created for a fellow member. I did that for him, but that's because he has college credits from a school in Pittsburgh. If you're starting from scratch, it all depends on how much time you have. I had someone follow my plan and he finished it in 4 months, doing 10 hours a day for those. So, in 4 months, 1200 hours or 16 weeks of 10 hour days - he was done.

To answer your question, you have to answer mine, review the spreadsheets within the Beginners Guide, and decide on a degree. Do you have kids/family? Are you working full time? How many hours a day can you work on the courses? For example, you have 5 hours a day. Then it would take about 8 months, still 1200 hours, but 32 weeks of 5 hour days. Do you have 2.5 hours? That would be your 1 year right there...

Use this as your accountability thread. Start with the free courses, and work on Shmoop if you're going with a BALS or SL/Study.com for a BSBA, again - either degree can be had for cheap/easy/fast, BALS would be slightly ahead in those 3 categories, but BSBA would be more useful. BTW, welcome to the board, where are you from? You're the same age a my bro-in-law.

That makes sense that it was you I love your posts! Wow 4 Months I would love that. Even though the sciences may take a bit longer and I do need them. The shorter the better. I was accepted into Molloys LPN-BSN Motility program (3-3.5 Years) but I realized that I will be along side freshmen it’s not really a true bridge. I deferred a year for personal reasons and now I’m happy I did. So I would like to switch my major to the Dual Degree for non nursing majors (Bachelors in any degree) according to students at allnurses.com it is 2.5 years for 5 semesters including summers. I can be awarded my BSN along the way (HUGE PLUS). This is actually quicker and in the end I will be further with a Masters. Molloy has a page welcoming ACE credits which also is a huge plus. The reason I want to finish fast is because since Im accepted that acceptance is good for a year and I think it may be smoother and more welcoming this way rather than reapplying.

Is the BALS different enough where TESC will allow me to do a BA Biology after? The additional 60 credit requirement is for a bachelors or AS?

I am from Long Island, NY.

I can study 5 or more hours a day. Usually even when I’m working I can study because I’m just sitting monitoring one patient. I will pick up another case or two very soon and I hope it will stay that way.

I think for me BALS is more useful. Also when I look at a BALS spreadsheet I have wayyy more confidence in studying and completing those courses.

Thank you so much. I had no idea i had responses i thought i subscribed to the thread.

Also I have no kids and I think Im pretty set on the BALS. Thanks!

(12-23-2017, 01:28 PM)rlw74 Wrote: All of the answers above...just depends on a lot of factors and where you get your credits from and how much background knowledge you already have.
If you are studying to learn, it's going to take longer.
If you just want a bunch of credits fast there are methods for doing that with very little study time. I've heard of people on here just clicking randomly on the study.com quizzes without doing any of the lessons and going straight to the final exam cold. Same with shmoop courses - just taking as many tests as you can without reviewing the material and if you pass a course you get the credit, if you don't you just move on to the next course.
I personally never could do that. But I still went fast. I finished over 40 credits in 12 weeks. That was taking the time to read everything, study for exams and taking all the quizzes/practice exams etc. But I had a lot of free time and I already had a couple of decades of stops and starts at various schools, work experience etc. I did get a little burnt out just doing that much in 12 weeks. I didn't really sleep either. I had no life outside of family commitments and school. And I wasn't even starting from scratch - I already had almost 90 credits transfer over.
Can you finish in months? Less than a year? Maybe. But regardless, six months from now you'll definitely be a lot further long than you are now.

Thank you I guess it does depend. I cant just pass minimally for credit because of my future goals my gpa has to be excellent. But i can flip through pass/fail courses like that. Im impressed by your 40 credits in 12 weeks. I really like your quote thank you it is so true. 6 Months from now I hope to not still be questioning and actually doing. I meant to start this a few years ago although then was the BSBA. So much changed and I missed out on testing out of capstone now ALEKS. Waiting is my enemy!! Thank you!!!!

(12-21-2017, 01:10 PM)High_Order1 Wrote: Quite honestly, it all depends on you.

I am leery about finishing too quickly, and having to discuss it at an interview (if it comes up). Some on here as the above poster states have completed four year degrees hyperfast (<1 yr). Others with jobs and families clock in around 2-5 years.

Assuming (and, that's a BIG assumption) all the loose ends tie, I get graded favorably on my remaining coursework, I will graduate in two years bringing around 25-30 credits into the equation from a prior attempt at college and from an undergrad certificate.

I'm also only working part time, and I shut myself off from the world this past 18 months. I will be rewarded for it, but I struggle as an academic student.

IF you are fresh from academic schooling, IF you know how to speak academic, IF you have good computer skills and access, IF you have excellent time management skills, IF you have mechanisms in place to deal with burnout / you don't burn out on homework, IF finances aren't an issue and IF life doesn't intrude, you could complete an accredited, valid Bachelors in a year or less.

If you're like me, and re-entering academic life after a bunch of years away, unless you're really good at retaining data to regurgitate in proctored exams, you may be better served by a more conservative approach.

One thing I was unprepared for: I thought this was kind of a 'diploma mill' path - stroke a check, get credits, get a degree. With the speed at which some accumulate credits (myself included), it can outwardly appear this way, but I assure you, it's not. I haven't found it to be that way. It's exactly like school with nobody to teach you - you gotta put the learning in on your own.

I am out of my lane offering credit advice, but a common thread seems to be pick a content provider (straighterline and study.com are popular), and start knocking out what are called 'core credits'. These apply to pretty much all degrees, like math, science, reading... You need around 60 credits worth of those.

As you get into the rhythm, some degrees will make more sense to follow than others (unless you need a specific degree from the onset). Those are called area of study credits (they are actually the fun ones...)

Good luck, and it gets done the faster you begin!!

Wow thank your for giving me the inside story on your journey. Yes I have thought about that being asked how I finished so fast!! Which is one of the reasons why I want to finish fast (funny right?) because I may not have to interview for the major I plan to do. Im accepted into Molloy but deferred and want to just switch major which a bachelors is needed. I hope it isn’t a big deal and won’t be overly scrutinized and just done as long as the seat is available.

I am about 7 years out of school but I love learning. I’ve never stopped completely. Over the years Ive learned Korean went through Pre-Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, read some Chemistry, Micro, A&P and Pathology. Right now I’m studying more A&P and Cell Biology. Bc I plan on taking A&P soon for credit for the first time. I’ve never gained any college credits.

(12-22-2017, 11:40 PM)cookderosa Wrote: While I didn't do BALS, I did Social Science, it's essentially the same thing. I did mine in 18 months. The first 6 months were only testing - I accumulated my AA (except math and science) as well as my electives and started classes at TESU with the intent of taking 4 terms. I took 6 credits per term and then bumped it up to 9 and then enrolled at my local CC to be sure I hit my target. One term I had 21 credits (not suggested) but I kept testing in there too- in all, 18 months from first credit to last. Had I opted not to take classes for my major, I might have been able to go faster, but I wanted to "experience college classes" lol but it did help for grad school. Anyway, at the time, other members here were FLYING past me like I was standing still. I don't read as much here about speed as I used to, but I think you could easily plan for under 2 years from zero as a reasonable goal. 1 1/2 is for sure attainable, once you start getting into the 12 month goal range you really have to be super-organized and watch deadlines, etc.

Wow thank you! Yes deadlines is something that concerns me. Like I’m afraid to rush and then miss deadlines not only TESC Deadlines but my next school of choice right after tesc where I need a 4yr Degree completes first. If I miss that deadline then it’s like I might as well have went slower with Tesc, get me? I’m nervous about the capstone and writing. English used to be my favorite subject and I used to be good at writing essays. I don’t have that confidence anymore.

I agree with you on wanting he college life. I unfortunately will have to do everything online. My sciences I plan to take A&P I &II online via Cayuga Community College. Chemistry at Weber State University and Micro Im leaning toward SL, or leaving that out until after the degree.

Two years is too long for me as there is a school by me where I can do a LPN-RN bridge in one year and then RN-bsn in another year there or online. I don’t want to do the 2 hour drive to the Harlem for a whole year when I can do the bachelors at home and BSN/Msn closer to me at Molloy. Itll be two years to get my bachelors and then Ill be already continuing for MSN.

Thank you for sharing your experience!!!

EDIT
When I say “two years to get my BSN” I mean literally two years from the start of the BALS granted that I complete the BALS in one year. The BSN will be completed midway of the 2.5 year MSN program I plan to get into with the BALS. Didn’t want to confuse you with my wording. Thank you again!!!
BTW, you can take your Anat & Phys I+II at Straighterline or as you mentioned at Cayuga. Just make sure you have enough residency credits at Cayuga and you can transfer the max credits from ACE sources. Call or Email Cayuga and see if you can take only the sciences from them and transfer in the rest from ACE sources such as CLEP (Modern States provides vouchers), Saylor, and Shmoop.

There are three things you want to do in order to get your BALS and BA Biology cheaper, overlap the credits.
1) Basically, at most, you can use up to a maximum of 90 credits from the BALS and move it to BA Biology.

2) Take the majority of your classes from Saylor $25/course, Shmoop $88/month of unlimited classes, you can get many credits with Shmoop for just $88/month and CLEP (Modern States is FREE, use their AP resources as well if it's got the same AP/CLEP classes). You can also use Saylor/Shmoop to prepare for CLEP exams as well.

3) Since you're taking online classes at Cayuga Community College, complete their Associates in Math & Science, Biology Concentration - https://www.cayuga-cc.edu/academics/scho...h-science/

See Concentrations page for requirements: You must take 50% of the credits at Cayuga, so take all the sciences there and transfer in your ACE/CLEP credits - https://www.cayuga-cc.edu/academics/scho...ntrations/

The courses you should take at Cayuga are as follows as it's required for the BA Biology; Bio I & Bio II, Chem I & Chem II, Physics I & Physics II, Organic Chem I & II, and Cell Biology. Genetics course can be taken at Cayuga to round out the 10 required courses. The rest (10 courses for the AS), complete them from CLEP, Saylor, Shmoop. You should not take Microbiology at Cayuga, it'll come in as Lower Level, take it at StraighterLine for Upper Level.

Create a spreadsheet or use the BALS one I have with Shmoop and modify it, place all your CLEP, Cayuga, Saylor and Shmoop courses into it. Once you're done, PM me and update your accountability thread to have others critic the degree plan for your BALS Shmoop - you can use that time to finish an AS Bio at Cayuga with no extra effort.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • indigoshuffle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,973 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,659 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,101 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,636 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,728 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,341 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,586 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,321 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,372 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,857 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore