Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long does it take to complete sophia courses?
(07-16-2022, 10:46 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Watching the videos at 2x speed saves time.

I've done 20 Sophia courses, and I've never watched the videos. If you are relatively fast at scanning text, or adept with Ctrl+F search terms, this will definitely save time.

For further reference, it's possible to complete all eight of these courses in 30 hours or less at 90%+ final grades, but it wouldn't be unreasonable to take 200+ hours. It really will vary quite a bit depending on the many factors mentioned in this thread.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 2 users Like origamishuttle's post:
  • ISKBizz15, Pikachu
I'd say that if you want/need to do a course with touchstones, your best bet is to only have 1 of those going while doing the other w/o touchstones. Then, if you complete the 2nd course, you can move onto a 3rd. If you end up with 2 touchstone courses and you're waiting for both to be graded, you need to contact Sophia to open a 3rd.

So, I'm guessing the touchstones will be the thing slowing you down, so you need to manage that as best you can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 3 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu, ss20ts
I'd say yes if you have any level of knowledge going into it, and/or you know how to read through text quickly. If you're 18 with no study habits, then probably not. I watched the videos in the beginning and then just realized they were slowing me down.

Good luck!
kt320

In Progress:
TESU - BSAST Degree in Aviation Flight Technology

Sophia - Algebra, US History II

Completed:
TECEP - Meteorology
TESU - SOS-110
Sophia - Intro to Ethics, Art History I & II, Developing Effective Teams, US History I
One of my friends completed 24 credits in 30 days, while working full time. It was most of his spare time, but he got it done pretty easily.

I agree with BJCheung, I think the key is pacing yourself and committing to just sitting and knocking them out.

I also agree with organizing your classes so you get all the touchstones out of the way as quickly as you can.
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • Pikachu
Art History I - 3 days for my 13 year old, working on it a little each day

Environmental Science - about 6 hours for me, using it to stay awake on a night shift at work

Human Biology - a couple weeks for my 13 year old, using it as a subliminal to her homeschool, so probably about 14 hours

Idk about the others, but based on that, I could knock these 3 and MAYBE one more on your list out in a weekend. Not sure if that helps.

If I were recommending to someone, who hasn’t used Sophia yet, on how to attack that list, I’d say start mid week on environmental science to get the ball rolling, with a plan to have it done by Friday. Attack the art histories and biology, one at a time on the weekend. If those were done before Sunday, or Monday if they are not, start working on stuff with touchstones, cycling in other classes when they are waiting for touchstone grading. Basically, use a couple that don’t have touchstones to warm up and feel good, but get to the touchstone classes within a few days so you get through them all.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
[-] The following 2 users Like Insert Name's post:
  • origamishuttle, Pikachu
Yup, don't rush things, it boils down to maximizing your screen real estate to get answers quickly for your questions. Time management also plays a critical role as you want to dedicate enough time to blast through the questions in the intended time frame by pacing yourself. Mainly working by chunks at a time is best to retain the information...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,302 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 380 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,677 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 278 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,794 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,864 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,394 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  TEEX Cyber Security Courses / non US residents BritStudent 6 546 03-03-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: FireMedic_Philosopher
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 604 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,959 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet