Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How long is your credit eval good for
I was applying to WGU and looking to knock off some credits and my research brought me to this group. I am now over loaded with credit and school options.  I have a 3 year BA from the University of Toronto in Economics.  They don't offer these degrees anymore, but is basically all Economics with no general education credits.  I can't get into a masters with it and I can't teach as it is not a 4 year degree.  I was looking at WGU education but now that I realize I can probably convert it to a BA at one of the big 3 and then apply for a Masters and it would be a better use of my time and money.  I was wondering how the credit evaluations work. Do I send my transcripts to all 3 then take some SDC, SL, CLEP etc.  credits and then submit them for another evaluation?  How long would this remain accurate?  Can I do the courses, ACE, CLEP etc.  while enrolled at one of the Big 3 and transfer them?  How does that work?
I'll tell you how it works for TESU. The other two are similar. Once you apply, you get to have two batches of transcripts processed and put onto your evaluation. You stay locked into your catalog (which is what the eval is based on) for a year. If you register for at least one course during that time, you are then considered enrolled and a new one year time limit starts. As long as you either take another course or TECEP, you keep extending your enrollment.

WGU doesn't allow you to bring in more credit after you enroll, but the Big3 have no problem with it. Just send in new transcripts to get the new credit transferred in.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Tlm, are you still in Toronto, are you a US Citizen or PR?  WGU no longer accepts Canadians or International Students.  Your best options are the Big 3 or other competency based degree providers.  

You just need to apply to the school of your choice and get your transcripts evaluated by ECE or WES - depending on the school, it may allow other accredited agencies for these evaluations.  

The last thing to do is work on these "remaining" courses that's left to do on the degree of your choice after the evaluations are completed.  

For myself, I recommend the StraighterLine and Study.com combo, but there are so many other providers out there such as Sophia.org, go crazy and get those needed credits...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • suzycupcake
(06-20-2019, 08:33 PM)davewill Wrote: I'll tell you how it works for TESU. The other two are similar. Once you apply, you get to have two batches of transcripts processed and put onto your evaluation. You stay locked into your catalog (which is what the eval is based on) for a year. If you register for at least one course during that time, you are then considered enrolled and a new one year time limit starts. As long as you either take another course or TECEP, you keep extending your enrollment.

COSC and EC work differently than TESU in terms of enrolling.

For COSC, if you enroll, you start paying per-term fees (currently $319 with a discount) - so you do NOT want to enroll until you are ready to take your cornerstone and capstone.

For EC, if you enroll, you have to pay the Enrollment Fee of $1095, and then if you're not done within a year, you pay $495 for another year.  Again, you do NOT want to enroll until you're ready to take your capstone.  The only caveat here is that it looks like EC is adding a cornerstone beginning Jan 1 2020, so you would probably want to enroll prior to that in order to get in under the current plan without the cornerstone.
------------------------

And I agree that you're better off enrolling at one of the Big 3, and then getting a MA degree.  If you list your courses here, I can help tell you which way you might want to go.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TheMaskedMutant
(06-20-2019, 08:47 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Tlm, are you still in Toronto, are you a US Citizen or PR?  WGU no longer accepts Canadians or International Students.  Your best options are the Big 3 or other competency based degree providers.  

You just need to apply to the school of your choice and get your transcripts evaluated by ECE or WES - depending on the school, it may allow other accredited agencies for these evaluations.  

The last thing to do is work on these "remaining" courses that's left to do on the degree of your choice after the evaluations are completed.  

For myself, I recommend the StraighterLine and Study.com combo, but there are so many other providers out there such as Sophia.org, go crazy and get those needed credits...

I live in the states now but did my education in Canada.  I am waiting on my course by course foreign evaluation.  I have a lot of UL credits but am missing the general ed requirements which are easy to take inexpensively online.  I will apply to all 3 and see who can do the most with my credits. In the meantime I can start knocking out things I know that I am missing.  You guys are such a great resource.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question regarding transfer credit courses jobojoe285 6 106 4 hours ago
Last Post: jobojoe285
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,074 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question WGU--Too good to be true?? b819 15 6,234 12-20-2022, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Does any WGU program give credit for passing any FINRA exams? MaMichelle 1 668 10-25-2022, 06:09 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  $500 tuition credit for new students only rachel83az 8 1,917 06-24-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: carebear_007
  Maximize WGU 90 credit transfer policy mdel210201 4 4,911 11-04-2020, 08:26 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Taking courses at WGU not part of my degree program? And credit by examination sciencemathematics1 19 7,335 08-26-2020, 06:59 AM
Last Post: sciencemathematics1
  WGU Changes to Residency Credit Requirements bjcheung77 5 2,584 06-23-2020, 01:56 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  Time limit on cert credit for WGU? reylok 4 1,315 04-08-2020, 07:46 PM
Last Post: reylok
  WGU and ALEKS Credit Thorne 3 3,603 05-28-2017, 02:12 AM
Last Post: Thorne