Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How many courses does Modern States pay for?
There's a balance between free and get shit done. Sophia basically broke that balance a little over a year ago. They are easily the best value/time ratio out there. If you wanted to save more money there is https://onlinedegree.com and https://saylor.org . What you don't pay in cash you will pay big in time.
[-] The following 2 users Like utility's post:
  • LevelUP, rachel83az
(09-26-2021, 05:40 AM)studyingfortests Wrote:
(09-25-2021, 07:04 PM)LevelUP Wrote: Someone didn't like my post on the Modern States saying you can get the answers on the net.

Word for word, they use the exact same questions/answers as in the Offical CLEP Study Guide, it's no secret.

Well, Modern States is a consortium of states trying to help people, especially low-income high school students, get a leg up on college and save money. Encouraging people to cheat on the Modern States tests to get the free vouchers is going to have a significant negative effect on the pass rates, and I'm sure Modern States grant funding is tied to their students' pass rates.  So I can see why they'd see it as a pretty dick move to draw people's attention actively to ways to cheat.

I don't know what I call these people, education purists, who constantly resist efficiency in education.

For most courses, using Modern States is good but for courses like English Comp or Analyzing and Interpreting Literature using Modern States is worthless in my experience.

CLEPs are good if you can find low-hanging fruit or subjects you already know.  CLEPs can even be faster than Sophia for some courses, especially now that at-home webcam proctoring is offered.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Online education gets a bad enough rap without outright cheating of the system. We can't police what happens on other sites, but we can at least try to make sure that our little corner of the internet here doesn't make people even more skeptical of the degrees that we are earning.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • jch, studyingfortests
(09-26-2021, 08:17 AM)utility Wrote: There's a balance between free and get shit done.  Sophia basically broke that balance a little over a year ago.  They are easily the best value/time ratio out there.  If you wanted to save more money there is https://onlinedegree.com and https://saylor.org .  What you don't pay in cash you will pay big in time.

Yes, I agree, it is usually better just to pay a little extra money to get things done rather than jumping through a bunch of extra hoops to save a few bucks.  If your time is worth at least $15 an hour, wasting time adds up quickly. 

Saylor is tougher than CLEPs.  For the CLEPs I passed easily, I took the Saylor practice exams and failed scoring in the 60's.

(09-27-2021, 01:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Online education gets a bad enough rap without outright cheating of the system. We can't police what happens on other sites, but we can at least try to make sure that our little corner of the internet here doesn't make people even more skeptical of the degrees that we are earning.

I did a "speedrun" through ModernStates Info System in less than 5 hours with no outside help because I knew the material.  Per their rules sent them a screenshot showing completion of at least 75% and got my voucher. (Would have been zero hours if I just paid for the CLEP exam)

Your degree is no more or less valuable if you spend 1 hour learning a subject or 100 hours.  If you have prior knowledge, there is an opportunity to accelerate. 

Most Spanish learners aren't really learners at all, they are time counters, and bad at that.  "I spent 6 months, 2 years, 5 years learning Spanish and took these courses"  Ok can you speak or understand Spanish?  "I know a few words and some grammar"  Your Spanish is not useful in the REAL world. 

There is a big difference between the real world and fantasy academic land.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I don't have a lot of evidence on this and not trying to stir it, but seems to me CLEPS > ACE when it comes to recognition.

Everyone knows about CLEP.

Most people know about ACE, but not all and it could cause some issues that CLEPS wont.

That being said, I'm doing lots of Sophia too now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thecontrarian's post:
  • jch
(09-24-2021, 04:28 PM)rachel83az Wrote: (We don't really recommend Sophia's English Comp or Public Speaking, especially for TESU and UMPI students.) 

What do you guys recommend instead? I think I had someone recommend that in another thread?
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
English Comp:
TESU - Take the TECEP (if you need RA credits) or CLEP (if you don't).
UMPI - Take it with them.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • acethroughcollege
With TESU, the English Comp TECEPs (RA credit) and Presentation Skills in the Workplace at Study.com for Public Speaking requirement.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • acethroughcollege

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Searching for elective core finance online courses-BSBA in Finance @ TESU Ofeezee 39 3,317 11-21-2023, 06:03 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Mature student seeks help with college credit/bypassing courses. Psychology oriented. Cyath 27 2,341 11-12-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Excelsior University UL courses hoffdeb 7 750 08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Please help me plan my Gen Ed courses for a Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics at SNHU ausernameisneeded 13 1,806 08-01-2023, 01:20 AM
Last Post: ausernameisneeded
  Advice on remaining courses (BACS AND BSBA CIS) whitenight 9 560 07-20-2023, 01:48 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Excelsior BSLA plan advice and looking for UL courses with least amount of writing oldguy4associate 8 947 02-19-2023, 03:00 PM
Last Post: oldguy4associate
  UMPI help w planning BLS Management courses namwen 10 1,328 02-04-2023, 02:32 PM
Last Post: namwen
  Community College -> SNHU BS CS [Help Mapping Alt Courses] omicreativedev 13 1,092 01-06-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Online UL Music courses eminor7 28 2,006 07-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  TESU BS plan for remaining courses? tumppi 15 1,397 07-01-2022, 11:07 AM
Last Post: kt320