Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much time do TESC courses require?
Hello all,

This is a question for those who have done TESC courses. I am just wondering what the average amount of time per day/week you spent on a course. I'm about to start doing two courses there and I'm wondering how much time this will leave me to spare. If you could just give me your average study hours, that would be extremely helpful!
Also, the courses I plan on doing are "The Liberal Arts Capstone," and "The Management of Stress and Tension." If anyone has specifically done either of these I would love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty and time required.
Thanks!
Nerdfighter Wrote:Hello all,

This is a question for those who have done TESC courses. I am just wondering what the average amount of time per day/week you spent on a course. I'm about to start doing two courses there and I'm wondering how much time this will leave me to spare. If you could just give me your average study hours, that would be extremely helpful!
Also, the courses I plan on doing are "The Liberal Arts Capstone," and "The Management of Stress and Tension." If anyone has specifically done either of these I would love to hear your thoughts on the difficulty and time required.
Thanks!

I graduated before the capstone was required, so I can't help you with that one. Also, I took almost exclusively GS science courses, so I'm not sure how much my study time could compare. Generally, I'd say between reading the textbook material and writing the papers, I spent about 7ish hours a week per class. My school hours were usually 8:00 - 10:30, Monday through Saturday, with Sundays off.

My husband did the Management of Stress and Tension course last year during the same term he did one of the homeland security courses and I do remember him saying something like, "Thank goodness this one is a no-brainer that takes very little of my time because the other one is a total bear." Well, okay, he's a former Marine, so he used some much more colorful language than I just did, but you get the point. Big Grin
Nerdfighter Wrote:Hello all,

Thanks!

I did not take the specific courses you're asking about, but did take a number of other courses. Time investment per week varied by type, my comfort level with the material to start, level of course, and the specific course mentor. The range was between 30-60 minutes a week (Living in the Info Age) to 2 hours every weeknight plus 8+ hours both weekend days (some of my UL business courses). Some course mentors will expect more and push for more where a counterpart teaching the same course will soft grade, and perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment but I sought out those because I was more likely to learn more. Traditionally, the LL courses are easy peasy and you can effectively sneeze an A without much effort. I took the business capstone in course form, and it was one of those that required more effort and time investment, but that may have been the mentor I selected.
BSBA, HR / Organizational Mgmt - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
- TESC Chapter of Sigma Beta Delta International Honor Society for Business, Management and Administration
- Arnold Fletcher Award

AAS, Environmental, Safety, & Security Technologies - Thomas Edison State College, December 2012
AS, Business Administration - Thomas Edison State College, March 2012
I also can't help you with the capstone, but I generally spent a bit of time each night checking the forum (like here but required in each class) which took a bit of time, not much, 15 minutes or less. I did that daily so it never got bad. As for homework, I generally could rock it all out in 1 day (reading, a couple 1-2 page papers, study questions). I enrolled in 2-4 classes each quarter (6-12 cr), and I think even during the most difficult deadlines, I might overflow from Sat into Sunday, but that was unusual.

*EDIT* I wanted to add that I think you can view the syllabus of some/all classes online ahead of registering. That might help you assess if the class is heavy or light.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,390 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,047 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,052 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,708 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,219 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 5,581 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
  TESU BSBA Degree Plan --- less time & money Bach2Mast 8 3,219 07-12-2018, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Bach2Mast
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,711 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,435 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TESU - How do you apply for the two degree at the same time?? allvia 3 1,354 06-22-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: allvia