Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
How to be an engineer in the USA?
In my country the educational system is completely different from how it is in the USA.

Here you don't study a BS or a BA, you study to be an Engineer, Doctor, Lawyer, etc ... it is a system based on professions.

I was wondering, what degree do you have to follow to be considered an "engineer" in the United States?
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
Get a TESU Computer Science degree.
Then you can work as software engineer at small companies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • cecilgambe7
It depends on what type of engineer you want to be? Also, it depends what type of company you want to work for? Some people are actually able to have different engineering jobs without a degree at all(this is becoming less common thanks to credential creep). Also, Some engineering positions(such as government ones) require a Professional Engineering license which has certain requirements such as having received a bachelor's degree in an engineering field and is ABET accredited.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • cecilgambe7
What kind of engineer?

Systems Engineer? No degree required, just some IT certs and experience, but a degree helps
Software Engineer? Again, no degree required, but a Computer Science degree and a portfolio helps
For the more traditional forms of engineer (civil, mechanical, electrical), you need either a Bachelor of Engineering in [Type] Engineering, a Bachelor of Science in Engineering, etc
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
[-] The following 2 users Like Thorne's post:
  • cecilgambe7, davewill
Thanks for your answers, in my country I tried to complete computer engineering but I had to leave it because it was extremely difficult.

Here Computer engineering and Systems Engineering is the same thing.
BSBA: 70% completed (84 credits of 120)
[-] The following 2 users Like cecilgambe7's post:
  • posabsolute, Thorne
What kind of engineering? Computer? Mechanical? Electrical? Chemical? Civil? Totally depends on what kind of engineering you want to get into what you'll need for degrees. Most will require master's degrees. Some require an apprenticeship before sitting for the licensing exam.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 683 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Software Engineer vs Data Engineer nomaduser 5 453 10-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 39 4,604 04-05-2022, 02:23 AM
Last Post: mahaganapati
  Tulane University - Google Associate Cloud Engineer Course Free nyvrem 30 3,996 02-03-2021, 01:24 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Professional Software Engineer looking for quick test based credits Enigma 3 559 12-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Last Post: KayV