Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get 30 extra credits for CPA license?
I plan to get my degree at UMPI in Accounting which will allow me to sit for the exam.

But to get licenced I need 30 credits beyond that.

They don't say what the credits have to be in, just that they be accredited. The credits can be with or beyond a degree program.

What are some smart and fast ways to get those 30 credits?
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

UMPI Double major BA Accounting, BABA Project Management. 2023

Jeremiah 29:11
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Many people get a master's degree in accounting to sit for the CPA exam. That's how they get their 30 additional credits in accounting often times.
The cheapest way to get an additional 30 credits would be to add another minor/concentration to your degree at UMPI. It's hard to beat the cost-per-credit. If you're able to do 30 more credits in 2 terms, that's another $2800 and an average of $93/credit. UMPI also seems to be the fastest way to get said credits. You could get a Master's degree, sure, but there aren't many Master's degrees that could be obtained for $2800-4200. Undergrad credits are, by far, the cheapest.

I'm not saying to not get a Master's degree, but it might be smarter to save that money until you are making CPA money and can afford one with more "oomph" behind the name.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
(11-21-2021, 01:27 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Many people get a master's degree in accounting to sit for the CPA exam. That's how they get their 30 additional credits in accounting often times.

Thanks I did see that as an option but since they dont have to be in a degree program I was wondering if I could take 30 more credits in my BA and have those count. Any thoughts?

Maybe a masters might be the best route though, I am not sure.
CLEP - 7 Courses, Study.com - 11 Courses, Sophia - 15 Courses, CSM Learn, INSTANTCERT - Spanish I, Coursera - Google Data Analytics Certificate.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
1.  Check the requirements for initial CPA licensure in your state (or the state where you want to be licensed initially). The 150-hour/accounting major is pretty much standard, but every state is a little different. Texas, for instance, requires 30 hours of upper level accounting, 2 hours in accounting/tax research, and 3 credits in a board-approved ethics course. New York requires a course in fraud examination. You may need specific courses to meet your states specific requirements. Also, note that most states have a requirement (often 90 or 120 hours with some accounting) to sit for the exam and a different requirement (150 total hours, more accounting, etc) to actually be licensed. Be sure you understand both.

2. I have not seen a state that says that the “extra” 30 hours has to be completed after your bachelor’s degree. That doesn’t say they don’t exist—see point 1. So, more likely than not you can simply complete 150 hours in your bachelor’s degree.

Assuming your state does not limit ACE credits (my home state/the state where I want to be initially licensed does), you could take more ACE classes add more ACE credits to your UMPI transcript. That might be cheaper and easier than more UMPI coursework.

Adding one or more additional major, minor, or concentration at UMPI should also do the trick. 

3. According to that I have been told/read online, a lot of people have taken random community college courses to get to 150. If you could do one of the free semesters/bunch some free courses from the different things that get posted on this board or you live in a place with cheap CC tuition, that is an option.

4. A master’s degree. Note that I didn’t say anything about it being in accounting. Unless you need to meet state-specific requirements, it wouldn’t need to be in accounting. If you have a particular interest within accounting, it might even make sense to pursue a degree in a different field. A degree in taxation, IT/CIS/CS (useful since so much accounting data is electronic/born digital), finance, or even an MBA could be very helpful, depending on your ambition/desired path.

Personally, I am drawn to the Emporia State master’s in accounting. It’s around $10,000 and has some course options that seem really interesting. It’s AACSB accredit and a non-profit/state school.

I also am considering the WGU master’s in accounting. It is $4,675 per term. I have tried researching online if this degree can be completed in 1 term, but haven’t been able to find that out. Even 2 terms would be less than $10k, so definitely not bad for an ACBSP master’s degree. PLUS, you receive the Wiley CPA review course at no cost upon completion. I haven’t taken the time to figure out which version you get, but that is hundreds of dollars worth of a perk.

I am also considering doing a Level 7 diploma in Accounting and Finance (and maybe a top-up MSc degree in Accounting and Finance), as described here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...rings-Grad and here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid344463  I haven’t been able to find too much information about these top up degrees being evaluated in the US, but it seems the Level 7 diplomas are routinely evaluated as graduate certificates and the top-up masters as master’s degrees by WES Canada, see this forum: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigr...ba.623151/  This option is right in line cost-wise with 1 term at WGU for the Level 7 plus top-up, significantly less for the the Level 7/grad certificate.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • MuadDib
The other important thing to consider is your career ambition, OP. If you want to work for the IRS or many state taxing authorities, a relevant master’s degree might help you get hired or be brought in with a higher grade.

Similarly, if you want a job with a Big 4 accounting firm, a masters in accounting or tax could be useful since you aren’t getting your undergraduate degree from a highly ranked school and aren’t doing it in person where you can do career events/on-campus recruiting. The University of Illinois/Coursera and Indiana University/EdX masters in accounting degrees can both be earned for just over $20k. These are two of the best accounting programs in the country.

Accountants in many small organizations may also do HR type work. If you are thinking of a career path like this, something like an HR certificate could be useful. 

Granted, this doesn’t exactly qualify as the fastest/easiest/cheapest, but something I would consider, if I were you.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(11-21-2021, 01:41 PM)rachel83az Wrote: The cheapest way to get an additional 30 credits would be to add another minor/concentration to your degree at UMPI. It's hard to beat the cost-per-credit. If you're able to do 30 more credits in 2 terms, that's another $2800 and an average of $93/credit. UMPI also seems to be the fastest way to get said credits. You could get a Master's degree, sure, but there aren't many Master's degrees that could be obtained for $2800-4200. Undergrad credits are, by far, the cheapest.

I'm not saying to not get a Master's degree, but it might be smarter to save that money until you are making CPA money and can afford one with more "oomph" behind the name.

At what point do I add a minor? Before or after enrollment? Will that increase the amount of credits I can transfer in?

From what I can tell, you add it after. Once you've already completed the first requirements. It does not increase the amount of credits that can be applied to your degree. You're allowed to transfer in as many credits as you like, but only 90 will apply to your degree.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-21-2021, 02:25 PM)freeloader Wrote: 1.  Check the requirements for initial CPA licensure in your state (or the state where you want to be licensed initially). The 150-hour/accounting major is pretty much standard, but every state is a little different. Texas, for instance, requires 30 hours of upper level accounting, 2 hours in accounting/tax research, and 3 credits in a board-approved ethics course. New York requires a course in fraud examination. You may need specific courses to meet your states specific requirements. Also, note that most states have a requirement (often 90 or 120 hours with some accounting) to sit for the exam and a different requirement (150 total hours, more accounting, etc) to actually be licensed. Be sure you understand both.

I am in NJ and they say:
To sit for the CPA Exam in New Jersey
  • Bachelor’s degree or higher from accredited school/university
  • 24 semester hours in accounting and 24 semester hours in business
  • Minimum of 120 semester hours
  • Degree can be in any field of study
To become licensed in New Jersey
  • 150 semester hours from accredited school. Credits can be obtained within or beyond a degree program.
  • One year of experience (1,750 hours) working under a CPA whose active license is from NJ or from a state that is substantially equivalent to NJ. Currently all states are substantially equivalent. The experience must be in the areas of auditing or accounting.

2. I have not seen a state that says that the “extra” 30 hours has to be completed after your bachelor’s degree. That doesn’t say they don’t exist—see point 1. So, more likely than not you can simply complete 150 hours in your bachelor’s degree.

It doesnt say it has to be after the degree.

Assuming your state does not limit ACE credits (my home state/the state where I want to be initially licensed does), you could take more ACE classes add more ACE credits to your UMPI transcript. That might be cheaper and easier than more UMPI coursework.

Adding one or more additional major, minor, or concentration at UMPI should also do the trick. 

What are ACE credits?

3. According to that I have been told/read online, a lot of people have taken random community college courses to get to 150. If you could do one of the free semesters/bunch some free courses from the different things that get posted on this board or you live in a place with cheap CC tuition, that is an option.

I will keep an eye out for these.

4. A master’s degree. Note that I didn’t say anything about it being in accounting. Unless you need to meet state-specific requirements, it wouldn’t need to be in accounting. If you have a particular interest within accounting, it might even make sense to pursue a degree in a different field. A degree in taxation, IT/CIS/CS (useful since so much accounting data is electronic/born digital), finance, or even an MBA could be very helpful, depending on your ambition/desired path.

Personally, I am drawn to the Emporia State master’s in accounting. It’s around $10,000 and has some course options that seem really interesting. It’s AACSB accredit and a non-profit/state school.

I also am considering the WGU master’s in accounting. It is $4,675 per term. I have tried researching online if this degree can be completed in 1 term, but haven’t been able to find that out. Even 2 terms would be less than $10k, so definitely not bad for an ACBSP master’s degree. PLUS, you receive the Wiley CPA review course at no cost upon completion. I haven’t taken the time to figure out which version you get, but that is hundreds of dollars worth of a perk.

I am also considering doing a Level 7 diploma in Accounting and Finance (and maybe a top-up MSc degree in Accounting and Finance), as described here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...rings-Grad and here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid344463  I haven’t been able to find too much information about these top up degrees being evaluated in the US, but it seems the Level 7 diplomas are routinely evaluated as graduate certificates and the top-up masters as master’s degrees by WES Canada, see this forum: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigr...ba.623151/  This option is right in line cost-wise with 1 term at WGU for the Level 7 plus top-up, significantly less for the the Level 7/grad certificate.

Hmmm...I have not heard of these but I will consider an accounting masters. Thanks for that info. 

My goal is to open a small accounting firm of my own and just do basic stuff for people to start, like taxes etc.  Later I might take the EA exam and go further. To be honest I dont know where the degree might lead to.  

(11-21-2021, 04:53 PM)acethroughcollege Wrote: At what point do I add a minor? Before or after enrollment? Will that increase the amount of credits I can transfer in?

You can add a minor after you're enrolled. It will not increase the number of credits you can transfer in. You must take 30 credits at UMPI and there's a minimum of UL courses required to be completed at UMPI as well. The minor will replace the General Elective courses.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  question on Ohio University accepting Sophia credits EducationSeeker 5 164 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice on UMPI plan and transfer credits before jumping in dhiness 1 83 Yesterday, 11:43 AM
  Advice on Transfer Credits for CS and Math at TESU Frederico.Sandoval 1 124 04-20-2024, 11:29 AM
  UMPI BABA Project Management with Zero Starting Credits ChickenEnjoyer 39 2,395 04-07-2024, 09:23 AM
Last Post: layermonkey
  Racking up Sophia Credits - What's Next? Ljanelle 5 401 03-17-2024, 02:11 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Degree Plan, potentially transferring ~50 Credits chrsghs 17 934 03-14-2024, 06:05 PM
  I finished my degree but still need 26 credits to graduate??? jesssem 8 605 02-26-2024, 12:04 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Good amount of credits, what to do next? khon 2 352 01-23-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Need Help On How To Get Credit for ACE/NCCRS Credits eyrobinson 4 425 01-19-2024, 01:36 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Associate degree in CJ: easiest path with no prior credits? CM1999 2 264 01-11-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley