Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get a job in Computer Science
I have worked as a computer programmer for over 25 years, and I think can provide some useful advice on how to get a job. The biggest piece of advice I can give is that experience is far more valuable than your degree. In fact, I don't have a degree (yet*) and this fact hasn't hurt me in the least. I went into the Army after high school where I was trained as a computer programmer. When I left the Army I had 4 years of experience but no degree. Nevertheless, employers were far more interested in me than they were other people my age who had degrees but no experience.

Over the years I have also interviewed and hired other programmers and can tell you that neither I nor other IT managers care very much about your degree. If you have one, that's great, but it's not as big a deal as you might think. However, one place that a degree is essential is if you want to work as a civilian for the government. It is a check off box that they require, and they are a huge employer. Yet, even with them you still need experience. Big companies like Apple and Google may also give more weight to degrees, but they'll want you to have a Masters or PhD from a place like Stanford or MIT.

For most employers, your degree is only somewhat important, and the actual degree is even less important. Having a BS in Computer Science and having a BA in Liberal Studies is worth just about the same, because it is your experience that really interests most employers. Your degree is just a check off box.

Here is what I would do if I were trying to become a computer programmer today. I would get a BA in Liberal Studies (BALS) from Thomas Edison State College (TESC). The reason why is that I do want that check off box, and it does make me eligible for a government job. I would go with the BALS at TESC because I can test out of the degree (except the capstone). I can do it very quickly, and very cheaply. I can also take advantage of those FEMA tests, which in the TESC BALS degree is worth a year of college, can be done in a week or two, and is completely free. That free part is important because without the FEMA classes you have to pay for a years worth of other classes.

You might want to take one or two college level programming courses at a community college to get a feel for what a programming course is like. However, you will probably learn much more on your own by buying a book and then just start working on projects.

Experience is what employers want, but you need to get a job in order to get experience --- chicken meet egg.

What I would do to get experience is form my own company and write some Android and iOS programs that are sold through the Apple Store and Google Play. Go ahead and write programs that interest you (e.g. games), but also try to write programs that would interest employers (e.g. healthcare or business related programs). Need an idea for a program? Take a look at simple programs that others have written, and do your own version of their programs. Your goal here isn't to become the next millionaire app company or even make any money. Your goal is to have a portfolio of projects that you can show perspective employers. You will also learn a great deal as you program these projects -- you REALLY will be gaining experience. Working all night on a project because you love it, the satisfaction of coming up with your own ideas to solve a problem, and figuring out how to get through that bug on your own, because there is no one you can ask for help, is what programming and experience are really about.

Let's say it takes you two years to test out of your degree at TESC. During that same time you have also written several programs that you are selling in the Apple Store and on Google Play. Your resume will show that you have a Bachelors and that you have worked as a programmer for two years. This should be enough to get you in the door. You probably won't even get your foot in the door if all you have is a degree. However, DON'T try and lie and make it look like the company you created hired you. Be up front that you started your own company, but it wasn't as successful as you'd hoped, and now you are looking for a traditional job. Hopefully you will impress a hiring manager with your initiative.

If this isn't working, another thing you could try is to get an internship, even if the company doesn't have internships. Do some research to find the name of IT managers at local companies. Then send a short paragraph of a letter, with your resume, asking him if he would be willing to let you work as an intern for the summer. Two-thirds of internships turn into real jobs, and even if it doesn't, it still gives you experience and references. Most IT managers will just toss your letter in the garbage, but all you need is one to say yes. Most companies also don't have internships. This is why I would send my letter to the IT manager instead to Human Resources, because starting an Internship program is more work for HR, but if an IT manager starts an internship program then he gets credit for stating it from his boss. So, your introductory letter should also include a link to a website about the benefit of Internship programs for companies. You should also ask if the IT manager has any projects on the "backburner" with which you could help out. All companies have these "backburner" projects they just can't seem to get around to doing. By simply asking, you may inspire him to create that entry level position.

I'd also suggest you buy a good book on Interviewing. Teaching yourself how to interview well will be worth tens of thousands over your career. Do NOT underestimate how important it is to interview well. It helps get you the job and gets you better pay. Practice interviewing in front of a mirror or with a friend/family member. It really is important. I mean REALLY important. Also many hiring managers suck at doing interviews, but if you are prepared you can help them out by answering questions they hadn't even thought to ask and now wish they would have asked other candidates. Lastly, one of the quickest ways to advance in the industry is to take experience gained at one company over to a new company --- so interviewing well will serve you throughout your life.

Well I hope this advice helps someone.

And before anyone asks --- no, we are not hiring at this moment. Smile

* I am currently working on earning a degree simply for personal satisfaction.
Very good stuff. I thoroughly agree with this posting.
However, instead of the BALS, which is fine and is what I was planning to do to simply check off the box, why not go for a BSBA general management and while en route to that degree, consider the BSBA CIS?
The benefit is twofold. One, the BSBA will give you the prereqs you need to get into an MBA program without taking foundation courses and two, the CIS portion makes your degree seem more like a planned part of your resume instead of just a checkbox.
So if you are working on the BALS, please consider taking the BSBA core requirements as BALS electives so you have the option to switch later on. They will also help you to understand the business, which is very important for a computer programmer.

Also, try practicing interviewing with a real computer programmer who has done the interviews before.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
I can also say that experience is much more valuable than a degree. I am currently in the process of attaining my B.S. in Computer Science but I have been programming since 12 years old. I am the chief software engineer where I work, and my boss trusts me 100% with all of software engineering matters.

I will say this, when I first applied for the job (as a regular software engineer), he chose another candidate (he said it was between us two). This is a time where I know a degree would have helped me, granted I was 19 at the time. He later hired me for the support team, and started to realize my knowledge in CS, after which he fired the other guy and gave me the job lol.

Experience is more valuable in the end because one someone gives you a shot, you are in, but if you also have a degree, you really give yourself the best chance for a good job and good salary.
Sorry to revive an aging post, but it is true. The degree on your resume will help pass certain HR filters (i.e check off a box). But experience is what will get/keep the job. The best non-management programmer on my team doesn't have a degree yet, but has about 10 years experience. My manager doesn't have a degree, but has about 30 years exp and would drive any Phd CS or Phd CE in the ground as far as both code and computational theory go. I'm working on the MS CS for personal satisfaction, but working as a software developer in a good programming dept makes my coursework a lot easier.

Managers would rather choose the passionate programmer with no degree, over the career seeking student who thinks the degree is the answer to getting a 8-5 gig. A good manager will know where you stand based on your answers to interview questions. I.e what do you enjoy doing in your free time (writing code or playing video games?), why do you want to become a programmer (because you hear it pays well, or because you enjoy it and it just happens to pay well?).
Once again, in complete agreement with beargins.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The complicated, behind the scenes setup for American Pie's computer scene upgrayedd 0 427 11-09-2022, 11:58 PM
Last Post: upgrayedd
  Economics is a Social Science sanantone 9 1,080 03-05-2022, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  MASTER |OF SCIENCE IN COMPUTER SCIENCE | Liverfool John Moores University akr680 0 785 08-18-2021, 05:37 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Help: Master of Science in Engineering Management DanielDaCosta87 3 1,052 08-15-2021, 03:06 PM
Last Post: DanielDaCosta87
  Discovery Ed buys Mystery Science for $140 Million bjcheung77 0 780 11-22-2020, 02:11 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions re: ethics and computer network retraining SweetSecret 2 1,008 03-27-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  How can nutritional science be made more accurate? sanantone 10 1,983 04-20-2019, 10:02 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Applications open for free data science program MNomadic 0 1,194 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  off topic- computer suggestion cookderosa 9 1,805 08-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  This site now looks like an old school BBS on my computer. ELSADDIQ 6 2,624 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM
Last Post: dfrecore