Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to get a refund on rubbish on-line courses?
I signed up for a couple of on-line courses from a local community college. Within a week, I noticed that the professors did not know what they were doing, but the school said you can only get a refund on tuition if you withdraw within the first day.

Now I'm four weeks in. One professor has some assignments posted, but hasn't graded anything or even replied to any inbox questions or noticed that the discussion area is filled with students asking where is the professor, why are some assignments missing, etc.

The other professor has really confusing assignments. The instructions are sometimes four pages long, but ramble on so much I can't tell what I'm supposed to actually submit.

Is there some procedure for dropping and obtaining a refund? The policies of letting you drop only in the first day seems to assume that they have professional professors. But they don't.
(02-09-2019, 08:13 PM)Pelican Wrote: I signed up for a couple of on-line courses from a local community college. Within a week, I noticed that the professors did not know what they were doing, but the school said you can only get a refund on tuition if you withdraw within the first day.

Now I'm four weeks in. One professor has some assignments posted, but hasn't graded anything or even replied to any inbox questions or noticed that the discussion area is filled with students asking where is the professor, why are some assignments missing, etc.

The other professor has really confusing assignments. The instructions are sometimes four pages long, but ramble on so much I can't tell what I'm supposed to actually submit.

Is there some procedure for dropping and obtaining a refund? The policies of letting you drop only in the first day seems to assume that they have professional professors. But they don't.

The procedures are determined by the school. We don't have that information; you haven't supplied the name of the school. The bursar handles refunds, the registrar normally handles dropping classes, and the department chair would normally handle complaints about professors.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
no way to get a refund, but you can make yourself feel better by making use of
https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/
Usually there's a way to rate the professor and class through the college too.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
Talk to the department head for that class's subject
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(02-09-2019, 08:13 PM)Pelican Wrote: I signed up for a couple of on-line courses from a local community college. Within a week, I noticed that the professors did not know what they were doing, but the school said you can only get a refund on tuition if you withdraw within the first day.

You probably won't get a refund- the deadline has passed, but that's not your problem right now as I see it. IMO, if you don't plan on finishing strong, you need to withdrawal to preserve your GPA- which will absolutely be determined by these classes, rubbish or otherwise.
What state are you on. I think it varies by state and/or district. At my college they give you dates on when you an withdraw with a refund and when you can withdraw with a W. Its usually a week or two if I recall correctly.
Also you may want to talk to the department chair or dean. Might look into another college too if they let this fly. My first Business class was Business Introduction that I took just to get credits. The professor kept on cancelling classes due to health issues. After two weeks it became a big deal and they almost cancelled the class. One day I showed up late to class and there was a different professor in her place. I missed the whole explanation of what happened. I guess the dean had hired him on a quick notice in the old professor's place. The new professor was great too he was a lawyer and a CPA. Really learned a lot from him. A few weeks later they gave him a certificate of appreciation for stepping in such short notice.
At the school, the last day to get a refund is the first day of class, so there isn't really any chance to learn what the class is like. I contacted the academic advisors about the process, and they said I need to contact the dean, but the dean is the teacher of the class.
(02-12-2019, 07:11 AM)Pelican Wrote: At the school, the last day to get a refund is the first day of class, so there isn't really any chance to learn what the class is like. I contacted the academic advisors about the process, and they said I need to contact the dean, but the dean is the teacher of the class.

The dean of a department is usually the final authority for students in those programs, so if the dean is also the instructor of your course (that seems odd to me, no wonder they are too busy to respond to the students) then you may just be out of luck. Either way, you should first try to arrange an appointment to speak with them about this issue, even if it is with their class.

If you cannot reach your instructor, or you don't get a proper resolution (conflict of interest perhaps), then there may be a chancellor or president (or something equivalent) who is responsible for the overall management of the college. If you have an unresolved issue with a dean, you may have to speak to them in order to get a resolution. For smaller schools (you mentioned this was a CC so that may be the case here), there may only be a single dean who is responsible for all the college programs and nobody sits above them. In that case, I doubt there is anyone else you can speak with.

If the school policy is you can only get a refund on tuition if you withdraw on the first day (which seems a bit harsh to me either way) then my bet is that they won't budge on the policy.

Good luck. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(02-12-2019, 07:11 AM)Pelican Wrote: At the school, the last day to get a refund is the first day of class, so there isn't really any chance to learn what the class is like. I contacted the academic advisors about the process, and they said I need to contact the dean, but the dean is the teacher of the class.

bummer. This is probably a small school - bigger schools don't have teaching requirements written into their deans' contracts (dept chairs usually yes, mine required it). If this teacher really is the dean, you'll have to find out who the next tier supervisor is. It appears as if people are wearing many hats, so if that's true, this might be a chore. But by now I hope you've withdrawn or are doing the class- because if not, these zeros are going follow you onto the transcript.
Drop now- fight later.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 28 2,561 03-22-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: KagomeH
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 701 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  The Rechtschaffen Institute of Judaic Studies (Has anyone taken one of these courses? patsfand 1 756 02-22-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 510 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Help Finding Some Courses harrypotter 2 268 01-23-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Cheap Self-Paced Language Courses or courses IN said languages? nykorn 4 413 12-09-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  Outlier.org - 2 For 1 Courses bjcheung77 12 2,471 11-21-2023, 12:27 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77