Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Human Services vs Psych
Say someone wanted to go into Social Work type jobs. Which of these two majors is a better option for future employment: Psychology or Human Services? 

I know TESU offers:
BA Psychology 
BS in Human Services

Now I am not sure if Human Services is entirely available via alt credit at TESU, but I not just asking about TESU specifically more in a general sense. For someone who wanted to do Helping Professions/Social Work type jobs which degree is a better option? I thought Human Services because Psychology degrees are a dime a dozen and Human Services might stand out more. But I'm not sure because the internet says Psychology majors earn more. I just want to know your thoughts.

Note that I am not personally in trying to earn any of these degrees right now. I just am doing some research for some people I know in a general sense. I know a BSW is probably a better option especially with the advanced standing to an MSW. But for people with prior college credit, a BSW would still take at least a couple of years or more due to rigid requirements, acceptance into the program and sequence of classes. So that is why I am asking between Psych and Human Services.
I think that if you can't do a BSW/MSW, then it really doesn't matter. You could just as easily get a BALS and do fine. The Psych major is no great thing, as it doesn't really apply much to BSW/MSW or those kinds of degrees (just researched a BSW/MSW for someone, not a single course from a Psych major would fit into the BSW, those weren't anywhere close to what they required).

Many, many times, if you are looking at many professions, they don't require a specific degree. The best thing to do is to actually look at the profession, and see what they require for the jobs you're interested in.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Everyone is different - Essentially, I think most Social Work jobs should be for individuals that have a Bachelors in Social Work.  The Human Services and the Psych degree doesn't really fit into that category at all.  If I had to chose between the two, I would go for the Psych degree at TESU as it's easier to get than the Human Services degree.  

For other schools, it depends which one is better/more suited for the  learner.  I suggest looking at the courses being offered in each program and see which is for them, some are more interesting than others.  I would take the courses that interest me and applies into the degree of choice.  If I don't like it, then the degree might not be for me and I recommend taking something else altogether.... So, suggest to her/him, they may want to take an Associates or diploma first in that subject field and ladder upward.

Lastly, from our Study.com buddies, here is what they have for you, some helpful details - link: https://study.com/what_does_it_take_to_b...orker.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I’ve seen job postings for social workers that prefer or require psych degrees

Edit: looks like I’m wrong (at least for my state - CA), you need a masters in social work.
BABA, New England College, 2019
First, in most states Social Worker is a protected title that requires a degree in social work and often a license so you'll be looking for a job in social services, not social work.

Second, neither a degree in human services or psychology will be more competitive than the other. You'll be eligible for the same type of social services jobs that will likely be case management oriented.

(03-15-2020, 07:26 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Lastly, from our Study.com buddies, here is what they have for you, some helpful details - link: https://study.com/what_does_it_take_to_b...orker.html

That's actually incorrect information. A degree in sociology or psychology or other related field does not make someone a Social Worker, but someone can certainly work in social services with such a degree. "Social Worker" is a protected title in most states that requires a degree in social work and often a state license.
I'm guessing I'm more thinking about social services and then the potential to get an MSW down the road. I guess even just getting a BALS (maybe SS or Psych Concnertation) would be a good option because it is even quicker. Then get a social services job and work towards and MSW.
What it comes down is i know people who have a lot of credits who dont want to spend a lot of time or money in school right now. From my personal research bsws take a long time even with prior credits because of the course sequence and availability most schools a minimum of 2 years. Ill show them this thread.
The recommendation for your friend is to find out which college/university they would like to pursue the BSW or MSW at and see what their requirements are for admissions into the program. Have them make sure they've got the credits and the grade to make it into the program, if they need graded credits then alternative options may not work for them. It's basically, they have to find the right cost/energy/time efficient plan to get their degree(s) of choice, be it a BSW or MSW.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New USF Certificate: Emerging Trends in Global Services and Retail Management ss20ts 10 1,573 06-02-2021, 10:56 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,081 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  Should I go for COSC BS Health Studies or TESU BA Psych? mcorye91 15 2,134 12-28-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post: mcorye91
  Bachelors in Accounting and Human Resources? Jenniferinfl 47 6,419 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl
  Is there a current REA study guide for CLEP Educational Psych? S.Tesla 4 1,235 06-06-2019, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Murdockb
  Human Gr. and Dev. CLEP study question... S.Tesla 3 1,159 05-07-2019, 02:28 PM
Last Post: DeanLewis
  Passed Intro to Psych CLEP...which next? S.Tesla 3 1,238 04-17-2019, 11:58 PM
Last Post: TryHardDieHard
  Cheap Online Degree in Human Biology sanantone 8 1,783 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Current UL Course options for BA in Psych at TESU Nodaclu 14 2,438 11-09-2018, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  Human growth and development (CLEP EXAM) diva34 16 4,754 07-10-2018, 11:25 AM
Last Post: cookderosa