Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Humanities CLEP Questions
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to take the Humanities CLEP within the next week or two.
For my studying, I have completed practice tests on Free Clep Prep, one test in the Cracking the CLEP exam (which I passed both tests).
InstaCert I am not as knowledgeable for the answers.

Does anyone have answers on to how to prepare further, so that I may pass?

Many thanks,

Jon
(11-28-2017, 11:26 AM)jkovie Wrote: Hello Everyone,

For my studying, I have completed practice tests on Free Clep Prep, one test in the Cracking the CLEP exam (which I passed both tests).

Many thanks,

Jon

I like Free Clep Prep for what it is- you can't argue with free. But, in my opinion, the 2 resources you're using aren't in the category of "tried and true." I'd trust your InstantCert score and hit the books. Beyond IC, you may want to take a Peterson's practice test or REA test. Those would be good indicators.
(11-28-2017, 11:51 AM)cookderosa Wrote:

Many thanks,

Jon

I like Free Clep Prep for what it is- you can't argue with free.  But, in my opinion, the 2 resources you're using aren't in the category of "tried and true."  I'd trust your InstantCert score and hit the books.  Beyond IC, you may want to take a Peterson's practice test or REA test.  Those would be good indicators.

Ok, thank you for your reply.
The Humanities exam was, by far, the most difficult CLEP I've taken. It's a mile wide, and a mile deep. It blows my mind that ACE reduced their rating to 3 credits.

My strongest advice is to avoid relying on a single source for study materials. I used a combination of sources and feel if I had not, I would've easily flunked it. Even using multiple sources, I only scratched the surface. Most of the online practice exams I took didn't come close, with the exception of PrepStep.

I used the following study sources:
  • Modern States videos (free).  Great introductory course to get your feet wet.  I highly suggest starting with this. It doesn't cover everything you need, but it provides a solid foundation to build on. The teacher's accent is a little thick and sometimes hard to understand, but turn on Closed Captioning.  It's worth it.
  • InstantCert flash cards were on the money.
  • REA Humanities book and practice exams. The book itself was too general to be useful, but the practice exams were a huge help.
  • See if your school gives you access to Learning Express Hub and their PrepStep practice exams for Humanities. These were the closest to the real thing, in my opinion.
  • The tips provided by other users on the subscriber's section of DegreeForum.net were probably the biggest help. 
Good luck!
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
[-] The following 2 users Like greencouch's post:
  • cookderosa, psalm103mommy
Modern States is a a good resource - free, and more thorough than you get from the resources you're using. It's also video-based, so if you learn better that way, you're golden here.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Many thanks,

Jon

I agree with Cookderosa, Peterson's practice tests and REA book/practice tests should be a huge help to you. Generally, I found that the Peterson's tests were harder than the real test, so if you do well on those, you should be good to go for the real CLEP. Try to aim for around 60-70% on the Peterson's. Good luck!
Ok, so Peterson's/REA sound like excellent resources.
I also found out PrepStep lets you take the practice tests with a library card (might be useful for other members in the future)
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I am looking forward to passing this exam.
(11-28-2017, 07:02 PM)jkovie Wrote: Ok, so Peterson's/REA sound like excellent resources.
I also found out PrepStep lets you take the practice tests with a library card (might be useful for other members in the future)
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I am looking forward to passing this exam.

I've been immersed in this topic a long time and never heard of PrepStep. There are a few really good (valid and reliable) resources, no reason to go investing time and money in the ones without any feedback. Just my 2 cents.
I can't say enough good things about PrepStep's sample exams. I've done 14 of these suckers and their practice exams have been on the money every single time. They're quite extensive and offer detailed explanations for each question. They typically have two different practice exams for each CLEP subject, so you can gauge your progress without repeating the same content.  Best part is that access is free for many students and libraries. I highly recommend it.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Pursuing BA in Communications at SNHU (Started July 2017)
☆CLEP☆ A&I Literature 68 | College Composition w Essay 73 | American Government 68 | US History I 72 | Social Science & History 61 | Information Systems 76 | Principles of Marketing 69 | Principles of Management 67 | Psychology 61 | Sociology 61 | Humanities 57 | Educational Psychology 70 | Biology 60 | Natural Science 72 | ☆DSST☆ Environmental Science 457 | Human Cultural Geography 466 | Principles of Supervision 435 | Introduction to Business 457 | Principles of Public Speaking 450/PASS
[-] The following 1 user Likes greencouch's post:
  • Ideas
(11-30-2017, 03:23 PM)greencouch Wrote: I can't say enough good things about PrepStep's sample exams. I've done 14 of these suckers and their practice exams have been on the money every single time. They're quite extensive and offer detailed explanations for each question. They typically have two different practice exams for each CLEP subject, so you can gauge your progress without repeating the same content.  Best part is that access is free for many students and libraries. I highly recommend it.

Seriously, I've never heard of this.  Where do you find this info?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 215 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Why Majoring in the Humanities Can Be a Great Career Move allvia 1 334 10-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 505 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 760 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Questions midnite123 18 1,304 12-12-2022, 02:52 AM
Last Post: midnite123
  Sophia.org Questions midnite123 37 2,705 09-20-2022, 06:32 PM
Last Post: midnite123
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,841 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 846 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Coopersmith - Course questions disney_day_dreamer 2 775 07-12-2022, 04:46 PM
Last Post: disney_day_dreamer
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 6 1,306 05-25-2022, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ss20ts