Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I Quit Teach For America"
An interesting critique of Teach for America (TFA), and perhaps of accelerated teacher training programs generally.

Olivia Blanchard, for The Atlantic Wrote:Although TFA seminars and presentations never explicitly accuse educators of either, the implication is strong within the program's very structure: recruit high-achieving college students, train them over the summer, and send them into America's lowest-performing schools to make things right. The subtext is clear: Only you can fix what others have screwed up. It was an implication I noticed when an e-mail I received during Institute, the five-week training program, referring to “a system of students who have simply not been taught.” The e-mail explained, “That’s really what the achievement gap is—for all of the external factors that may or may not add challenges to our students’ lives—mostly it is that they really and truly have not been taught and are therefore years behind where they need to be.” […]

Typical instructional training included only the most basic framework; one guide to introducing new material told us to “emphasize key points, command student attention, actively involve students, and check for understanding.” We were told that “uncommon techniques” included “setting high academic expectations, structuring and delivering your lessons, engaging students in your lessons, communicating high behavioral expectations, and building character and trust.” Specific tips included “you provide the answer; the student repeats the answer”; “ask students to make an exact replica in their notes of what you write on the board”; and “respond quickly to misunderstandings.” After observing and teaching alongside non-TFA teachers at my placement school, I can confidently say that these approaches are not “uncommon.”

Although I felt bad that TFA had created a system that caused a rift between corps members and traditional teachers, I didn’t have much time to worry about that. The truth was, the five-week training program had not prepared me adequately.

During my training, I taught a group of nine well-behaved third-graders who had failed the state reading test and hoped to make it to fourth grade. Working with three other corps members, which created a generous teacher-student ratio, I had ample time for one-on-one instruction.

That classroom training was completely unlike the situation I now faced in Atlanta: teaching math and science to two 20-person groups of rotating, difficult fifth-graders—fifth-graders so difficult that multiple substitute teachers would vow never to teach fifth grade at our school again.

I had few insights or resources to draw on when preteen boys decided recess would be the perfect opportunity to beat each other bloody, or when parents all but accused me of being racist during meetings. Or when a student told me that his habit of doing nothing during class stemmed from his (admittedly sound) logic that "I did the same thing last year and I passed." The Institute’s training curriculum was far too broad to help me navigate these situations. Because many corps members do not receive their specific teaching assignments until after training has ended, the same training is given to future kindergarten teachers in Atlanta, charter-school teachers in New Orleans, and high-school physics teachers in Memphis. […]

Compared with the experiences of other Teach for America teachers, though, my placement and training were actually fairly lucky. I know more than one Religious Studies major who arrived in Atlanta ready to teach elementary school, only to be told that she was being reassigned to teach high-school mathematics. Of course, becoming "highly qualified" to teach upper-level math meant passing the state teaching test in that subject, and some recruits found out midway through the summer that they had failed. […]

TFA promotes a public image of eager high achievers dedicated to one mission, reaching “Big Goals” that pull students out of the achievement gap, where non-TFA teachers have let them fall. But in my experience, many if not most corps members are confused about their purpose, uncertain of their skills, and struggling to learn the basics.
I Quit Teach For America: Five weeks of training was not enough to prepare me for a room of 20 unruly elementary-schoolers (Olivia Blanchard, The Atlantic website, September 23, 2013)
Very interesting. I have a high GPA lots of math and science classes and I planned on teaching and took about 15 teaching credits. I learned to teach through years of subbing and months of trial by fire. I feel I am ready to teach, but I would not dream of teaching inner city schools without much more study in difficult children or psychology, not to mention more engaging lesson planning.

To teach a grade you have not prepared for, in a school with difficult children, with little notice, seems to much to ask even a veteran teacher. It is no wonder this program is a bust. The corps members that do stick with are probably burnt out after 2 or 3 years. Is it any wonder our lowest performing schools are not improving.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A neuroscientist explains why stupidity is an existential threat to America bjcheung77 0 169 04-07-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 553 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Education Is Now America’s Great Divide LevelUP 2 363 10-06-2023, 02:50 PM
  Books that Shaped America Charles Fout 2 316 09-24-2023, 09:38 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Harvard Grad - Quit law job due to mental health... bjcheung77 0 329 10-06-2022, 04:01 PM
  Best Buy Founder: What Every Us College Should Teach Their Students LevelUP 0 534 03-07-2022, 07:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  How America Pays For College Alpha 0 682 11-24-2021, 03:50 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Do most college professors teach at multiple schools??? Vle045 6 2,044 08-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  College For America Is Dead harrypotter 10 1,709 06-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Teach myself Accounting natshar 7 1,903 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: natshar