Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am currently in community college and planning to transfer to TESU (Need help)
Good afternoon everyone,
I hope everyone is doing well.

I am a currently a student at my local NJ community college for an Associate Degree for Computer Science leading to BA
I want attend TESU for a BA in Computer Science.
After I attain 24 credits at community college, I will apply to TESU (to waive admission fee)

My questions is:
Should I apply to TESU after I complete my associates or should I sign up after I get my 24 credits? Can I be signed up to both at once?
Also I plan on taking Sophia course for credits, does TESU still accept them?

Thanks.
In short, yes, yes, yes! Oh did I say that out loud? Yes! Do all three! The reason is, TESU changes may occur more often than before. If it was another school such as COSC or Excelsior and even the competency based degree programs, I would get you to finish the Associates and any courses that can transfer into their programs, before signing up and applying at the respective school, this way you can maximize transferable credits before you complete the final requirements of the degree.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Lightorb333
You need to check with your CC to make sure they don't have any rules about this, but if they don't, then you should definitely enroll in TESU sooner rather than later. Once you enroll, I would register for a TECEP exam, preferably one you can easily pass that will work in your degree plan. That way, you lock in your catalog.

Then, you can continue taking CC classes as well as ACE/NCCRS credit. I would transfer as you go, meaning after this term, send your CC credits. If you're using Sophia or Study.com, send in transcripts as you complete courses. That way, you can make sure that things go exactly where you want them to (transcripts are free so there's no reason not to send them).

When you're close to getting 114cr, go ahead and sign up for the cornerstone and capstone, and you'll be done.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(03-05-2021, 05:40 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You need to check with your CC to make sure they don't have any rules about this, but if they don't, then you should definitely enroll in TESU sooner rather than later.  Once you enroll, I would register for a TECEP exam, preferably one you can easily pass that will work in your degree plan.  That way, you lock in your catalog.

Then, you can continue taking CC classes as well as ACE/NCCRS credit.  I would transfer as you go, meaning after this term, send your CC credits.  If you're using Sophia or Study.com, send in transcripts as you complete courses.  That way, you can make sure that things go exactly where you want them to (transcripts are free so there's no reason not to send them).

When you're close to getting 114cr, go ahead and sign up for the cornerstone and capstone, and you'll be done.

So after you apply and get every transcript sent in and listed on your degree plan, you still have to register for a class in order to "lock" in your degree plan?  In other words, they can still change your degree plan even after they lock everything in if you "haven't" formally enrolled in a course? 

My two sons had almost all their courses done by the time they applied, but now my daughter is 3/4 of the way through.  I have been trying to decide when to send in her application.
(03-05-2021, 07:23 PM)Dorothy44 Wrote: So after you apply and get every transcript sent in and listed on your degree plan, you still have to register for a class in order to "lock" in your degree plan?  In other words, they can still change your degree plan even after they lock everything in if you "haven't" formally enrolled in a course? 

My two sons had almost all their courses done by the time they applied, but now my daughter is 3/4 of the way through.  I have been trying to decide when to send in her application.

Yes, they don't officially count you as a student until you have paid for a TECEP or a class. Medical Terminology at 1 credit is the cheapest way to lock in your catalog and to fully enroll. You don't even have to take the exam but, if you do, it can be a relatively stress-free way to test out the ProctorU environment because it doesn't actually matter if you pass or not.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Dorothy44
(03-05-2021, 03:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: In short, yes, yes, yes! Oh did I say that out loud? Yes! Do all three!  The reason is, TESU changes may occur more often than before.  If it was another school such as COSC or Excelsior and even the competency based degree programs, I would get you to finish the Associates and any courses that can transfer into their programs, before signing up and applying at the respective school, this way you can maximize transferable credits before you complete the final requirements of the degree.

Hey, thanks for your response.
I will definitely take your advice and sign up when I have the 24 credits.

Now once I sign up and earn credit along the way through community college and Sophia, can I speak to an advisor to periodically "send in" the credits that I have earned?
Also, what is the first thing I should do when I sign up?

Thank you
Sophia and SDC don't have advisors, per se. To send credit, with SDC, you fill out a form and they send your transcript to the school that you've indicated. With Sophia, you need to create an account at YourAcclaim.com and then add the badges from the completed courses to your Acclaim account from the Sophia dashboard. You can send transcripts from Acclaim by filling out a form on the site.

As for what you should complete, that depends on what you're going to be doing/have already completed at the CC. For instance, there is no need to take English Comp from Sophia if you've already taken it from the CC.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Dorothy44 Wrote:So after you apply and get every transcript sent in and listed on your degree plan, you still have to register for a class in order to "lock" in your degree plan?  In other words, they can still change your degree plan even after they lock everything in if you "haven't" formally enrolled in a course? 

I highly recommend applying before any possible changes occur for the 2021 year, so that means anytime before June 1. I would even be on the safe side and apply 10 days before that date or earlier. While waiting for more credits for your daughter to complete, she must make sure to take at least 24 RA credits if she's transferring to TESU, final 6 RA credits will be the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.

You also need to decide if you're going for the residency waiver fee or taking 16 credits at TESU to waive that fee. IF you decide on the residency fee, then you need to take 24 RA credits to transfer in, if you're going to take the 16 credits, you just need 15 RA credits to come in as transfer credits... Hmm, a few things to think about for sure! <I'm just picking your brain, you need to decide sooner rather than later...>

Lightorb333 Wrote:Hey, thanks for your response.

Now once I sign up and earn credit along the way through community college and Sophia, can I speak to an advisor to periodically "send in" the credits that I have earned?

Thank you

If you've applied to TESU, you only have two academic evaluations and some simple answers if any to questions. If you're going to periodically send in your progress, you need to be enrolled... you can do this by taking and forgetting the Medical Terminology TECEP, it's $50, just pay it and forget it... that will shift you from applicant to enrolled status and you will have that for an entire year. The benefit to this is, unlimited academic evaluations, academic advising, access to student resources, etc...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Lightorb333
(03-06-2021, 01:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Dorothy44 Wrote:So after you apply and get every transcript sent in and listed on your degree plan, you still have to register for a class in order to "lock" in your degree plan?  In other words, they can still change your degree plan even after they lock everything in if you "haven't" formally enrolled in a course? 

I highly recommend applying before any possible changes occur for the 2021 year, so that means anytime before June 1.  I would even be on the safe side and apply 10 days before that date or earlier.  While waiting for more credits for your daughter to complete, she must make sure to take at least 24 RA credits if she's transferring to TESU, final 6 RA credits will be the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.  

You also need to decide if you're going for the residency waiver fee or taking 16 credits at TESU to waive that fee.  IF you decide on the residency fee, then you need to take 24 RA credits to transfer in, if you're going to take the 16 credits, you just need 15 RA credits to come in as transfer credits... Hmm, a few things to think about for sure!  <I'm just picking your brain, you need to decide sooner rather than later...>

Lightorb333 Wrote:Hey, thanks for your response.

Thank you

If you've applied to TESU, you only have two academic evaluations and some simple answers if any to questions.  If you're going to periodically send in your progress, you need to be enrolled... you can do this by taking and forgetting the Medical Terminology TECEP, it's $50, just pay it and forget it... that will shift you from applicant to enrolled status and you will have that for an entire year.  The benefit to this is, unlimited academic evaluations, academic advising, access to student resources, etc...

I understand ok, thank you.
(03-06-2021, 01:28 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

I highly recommend applying before any possible changes occur for the 2021 year, so that means anytime before June 1.  I would even be on the safe side and apply 10 days before that date or earlier.  While waiting for more credits for your daughter to complete, she must make sure to take at least 24 RA credits if she's transferring to TESU, final 6 RA credits will be the cornerstone/capstone at TESU.  

You also need to decide if you're going for the residency waiver fee or taking 16 credits at TESU to waive that fee.  IF you decide on the residency fee, then you need to take 24 RA credits to transfer in, if you're going to take the 16 credits, you just need 15 RA credits to come in as transfer credits... Hmm, a few things to think about for sure!  <I'm just picking your brain, you need to decide sooner rather than later...>

If you've applied to TESU, you only have two academic evaluations and some simple answers if any to questions.  If you're going to periodically send in your progress, you need to be enrolled... you can do this by taking and forgetting the Medical Terminology TECEP, it's $50, just pay it and forget it... that will shift you from applicant to enrolled status and you will have that for an entire year.  The benefit to this is, unlimited academic evaluations, academic advising, access to student resources, etc...
Thank you Rachel and BJ!  She has her RA courses finished, all her Sophia courses are finished, we are just paying the residency, and all she has left is her UL Marketing.  I think we will work on getting her enrolled etc. right away!  Thank  you again!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 659 4 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 160 4 hours ago
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,576 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 620 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 546 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 280 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 255 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 410 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 224 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX