Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I decided to pull my child out of public schools - need help picking an online curric
soliloquy Wrote:I don't recall saying this was my only source. I've also joined a classical literature group, my church's Homeschool Group which has a plethora of resources, and of course there is still ixl.com, study.com, easy peasy homeschool, rainbow resource, Keystone School, Ambleside online, time for learning, etcetera etcetera.

I may be new to this but I do my research and I have a lot of homeschool friends and colleagues who have been homeschooling for decades. I am simply looking for opinions about anyone who has used any of the online platforms. I'm not looking for judgment. Why did you put "single source" in quotation marks. That certainly wasn't a direct quote from me.

Tone does not convey well over the internet but I must say the introduction to that very long paragraph seems like it was full of judgemental and inaccurate assumptions.

The latter part of your message however, I appreciate.

Jeez, I was not being judgmental at all, I was just saying that I hadn't used one of the types of online curriculum that you were asking about. I know that Alpha Omega is one of the types of programs where you can purchase a whole grade's worth of stuff, and all of the material is their own, so it seemed like you might be asking about that particular type of system. And, I kind of made up the "single-source" description on the fly, I was not saying there was anything wrong with it or that someone can't choose it if they don't want to. I just was saying that I was more of a pick-and-choose from different types of curriculums for different subjects.

You know, for someone who came here asking for input, you certainly tore down 2 people who gave input. I will remember not to reply to you in the future since you don't seem like you actually want advice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:Jeez, I was not being judgmental at all, I was just saying that I hadn't used one of the types of online curriculum that you were asking about. I know that Alpha Omega is one of the types of programs where you can purchase a whole grade's worth of stuff, and all of the material is their own, so it seemed like you might be asking about that particular type of system. And, I kind of made up the "single-source" description on the fly, I was not saying there was anything wrong with it or that someone can't choose it if they don't want to. I just was saying that I was more of a pick-and-choose from different types of curriculums for different subjects.

You know, for someone who came here asking for input, you certainly tore down 2 people who gave input. I will remember not to reply to you in the future since you don't seem like you actually want advice.

Read your post again and try to see how that first paragraph might have been construed as judgmental and I'll read my post and try to figure out where I shot down two people. I know I told you how I felt about your post. Any other responses have just been me trying to get people to respond to the question I posed. Some days I just want folks to answer the question without all the stuff I didn't ask for. It's just one of those days. I asked for online schools. You basically lectured me because you assumed it was my only resource. It was hard to read past that although I did try and I did tell you I appreciated the remainder of your post.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:Read your post again and try to see how that first paragraph might have been construed as judgmental and I'll read my post and try to figure out where I shot down two people. I know I told you how I felt about your post. Any other responses have just been me trying to get people to respond to the question I posed. Some days I just want folks to answer the question without all the stuff I didn't ask for. It's just one of those days. I asked for online schools. You basically lectured me because you assumed it was my only resource. It was hard to read past that although I did try and I did tell you I appreciated the remainder of your post.

I don't have a list of online schools, but I have a list of fake ones. It's on my FB page but I'll link you if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/homeschoo...5361291191
As I was responding to another post, I remembered a great resource for you to check out:
Cathy Duffy Homeschool Curriculum Reviews

She reviews a lot of curriculum. She does a good job describing the curriculum as well as explaining what types of learners and teachers it might work well for.

When I am looking for new curriculum, Cathy Duffy's site is my go-to. Then, when I have narrowed down my choices, I will go to a convention to view the material in person to make my final decisions.
wombat777 Wrote:As I was responding to another post, I remembered a great resource for you to check out:

She reviews a lot of curriculum. She does a good job describing the curriculum as well as explaining what types of learners and teachers it might work well for.

When I am looking for new curriculum, Cathy Duffy's site is my go-to. Then, when I have narrowed down my choices, I will go to a convention to view the material in person to make my final decisions.

I should have thought of this! Yes, I ALWAYS check Cathy Duffy's reviews before purchasing any curriculum. Good call.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
wombat777 Wrote:As I was responding to another post, I remembered a great resource for you to check out:

:iagree: +1, Thanks! I'll check out that resource and see what I can do with it, I love curriculum guides...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
A lot of my friends have used Abeka online academy, and were happy with it. It is a Christian company based out of Pensacola. Abeka also has just the curriculum you can buy if you're up for more traditional "homeschooling".
Blessings on your decision!
We used this place for accreditation in the past...Homeschool with Christian Academy of America

We used Alpha and Omega but they also offer A.C.E. curriculum. I thought the Alpha and Omega curriculum was excellent. The adviser told us that if we wanted to use a different curriculum it could possibly be accepted with a waiver.

They are very good and stay on top of important dates (like when to send unit tests) with emails. You can register at any time, I believe. I found it to be probably the cheapest overall option for accreditation back when I researched.
We used Abeka here and there, very solid. They have been around awhile, I was taught on Abeka curriculum in private school way back in the late 70's/ early 80's.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Just checking in and wanted to say thanks for all of your suggestions. I am 3 months into homeschooling my 8th grader and we are still alive. It's not been easy for him leaving his friends to hang out with mom but we have found a lot of homeschool groups, coops, etc. to make the transition a little easier. I am really proud of his progress so far and he's already mastered some math concepts that he struggled with for a couple of years in school. The one on one attention, repetition, and ability to find various teaching methods/styles to help him understand concepts has been priceless. I have two fulltime jobs now but I guess I had that when I was busting my behind trying to get my master's degree so this is well worth it. Thanks again!
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Schools in America Now Becoming More Insane Than North Korea LevelUP 20 2,417 09-26-2023, 04:46 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  For Sale: Young Online University in California bjcheung77 19 2,463 09-26-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Employment Opportunities in Online Schools BSBRose21 4 522 09-26-2023, 06:19 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  The middlemen of online higher ed article cardiacclep 0 427 12-31-2022, 01:27 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  Modern Languages Launches Online Language Courses LevelUP 0 465 07-23-2022, 11:09 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Faced with a desperate skills shortage, tech leaders plead for CS reform in schools MNomadic 5 737 07-19-2022, 06:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  9yr Old Kid Has More Balls That Most Adults Speaks Out Against Mask Child Abuse LevelUP 15 1,811 09-29-2021, 03:00 PM
Last Post: mojave
  Southern China new hotspot for British schools bjcheung77 3 1,021 04-09-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Globeducate acquires three schools in Europe bjcheung77 1 816 03-30-2021, 05:51 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Almost $250 Billion Growth in Online Education bjcheung77 0 662 02-17-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77