Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I hate you ALEKS!!!
rickyjo Wrote:THanks annegirl: This is much better for learning than a classroom for me. It's a little closer to tearing things apart and sticking them back together, w/ instant feedback. I can just try something without agonizing over it and see if it works.

nj593: Thanks so much for the reply. I've read a lot of the stuff on ALEKS here but the one big question is contradicted by different posters... I believe you are saying that getting it only by assessment isn't required for ACE to recommend credit? I can just slowly up the % via the pie chart. Thanks for clarifying in advance.

No you need the assessment for the credit. Im saying that you said you were not in a hurry if im not mistaken. IF that is the case then do the pies to get a great foundation of the work. good luck
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Once it shows submitted to Ace you can move on. You dont have to wait for ACE to give you the credit in order to move on. When you log into ACE and you see the class that you want credit for. You put in in there and then it states pending right? Then one or two days later you will see something like ALEKS submitted at this point you can then switch your courses... You dont have to wait. Worse case scenario you can go back to the old course and your grade will be there. It looks like its wiped out but its not..

taylor Wrote:Yes, I know what you mean about waiting to see it on your transcript first. However, I'm really tempted to move on to the next course on my agenda...the waiting kills me. It makes me wonder if anybody has lost a course because they moved ahead before the course was on the ACE transcript. Maybe we're being overcautious.

Also, does anybody have an update on if ALEKS will be ACE accredited in 2010? When I asked a customer service rep at ALEKS he told me he wasn't sure they would be or not? I told him I was taking ALEKS for college credit and he tnen told me that it might be a good idea to get all my courses in before January 2010 and then wait till January to find out if I want to continue or cancel my account with ALEKS?

On a sidenote I had no idea your Assessments scores could go lower. It happened with me on Intermediate Algebra, I went from a 68 to a 67, but I did get a 70 on the next one.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
nj593 Wrote:Once it shows submitted to Ace you can move on. You dont have to wait for ACE to give you the credit in order to move on. When you log into ACE and you see the class that you want credit for. You put in in there and then it states pending right? Then one or two days later you will see something like ALEKS submitted at this point you can then switch your courses... You dont have to wait. Worse case scenario you can go back to the old course and your grade will be there. It looks like its wiped out but its not..

nj593, thanks for the info, that'll save me some time. I noticed you've done quite a bit of ALEKS courses and seem to be somewhat of an expert on ALEKS. Were all your ALEKS classes accepted for credit at TESC?
Thank you all very much. I got an extra 16% on my 2nd assessment the first day! I've learned more yesterday than my entire senior year I think. This system is working for me.

*knocking loudly on wood* Maybe I will be able to do more than beginning algebra
Please stop corporate child abuse, learn about World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and other "troubled teen" facilities that abuse kids and cheat parents:
http://www.time.com/time/health/article/...82,00.html
http://cafety.org/films/765-whos-watchin...ontana-pbs

The Goal:
A.S. From Excelsior

>>>COMPLETE!

63 FEMA courses complete 1/2/10
4 NFA courses Complete 1/5/10
A+ (Computer Repair)
N+ (Networking)
MCP XP PRO (Microsoft Certified Professional)
AP English Literature
ALEKS Beginning Algebra
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra
ALEKS College Algebra
ALEKS TRIG.
ALEKS Intro to STATS
Straighterline Macro Econ
Straighterline Micro Econ
Straighterline Accounting I
Straighterline Accounting II
Penn Foster Info Literacy
Penn Foster Art Appreciation
Penn Foster Music Appreciation
Penn Foster Psychology
cookderosa Wrote:... You work through your pie (taking notes or printing off screen shots) and master questions.

This is a great summary. I'll just add that I have good results (and save paper) by using MS OneNote and its "print to OneNote" and screen clipping features in studying math with ALEKS and other subjects. When working in ALEKS, I click on "Explain" and the OneNote print driver sends the page to OneNote instead of printing to paper. I can type text on the page, adding notes to the explanation, capture a screen clipping of the ALEKS calculator and paste that in, then when I get problems right, I clip those into the same OneNote page, along with any notes I take applicable to that particular problem.
Each problem type lives on its own page, the notebook is searchable, so if I need to find the explanation to a problem, it's easy.

I've been using OneNote for school for about a year, for exam prep, online courses, and now with ALEKS. My employer installed it on my computer, so it was free to me, though I could have obtained a personal copy for free through MS Academic Alliance -- all the schools I have attended have offered free software in this way. Even if I had paid the $99 retail I would call it a bargain for what it has allowed me to do with my schoolwork and job. OneNote is awesome.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
cookderosa Wrote:OMG I am so old. I use pencil and paper!!

Gee, I use paper and pencil too. I went through massive amounts of paper with Statistics.
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
taylor Wrote:nj593, thanks for the info, that'll save me some time. I noticed you've done quite a bit of ALEKS courses and seem to be somewhat of an expert on ALEKS. Were all your ALEKS classes accepted for credit at TESC?

LOL hilarious
This was my big argument here on this board which some had to calm me down from. TESC did not accept them all because they consider some courses as the others. For example they will not take trig if you already took stats. The rat bastards just wont. :mad: So dont bother. Theres a model that I believe Cook or Peace brought up in the aleks section that states the math in how they fall. Something like mat129 and so on.
Its pretty much on point. Hope this helps.

FEMA IS courses- alot

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
cookderosa Wrote:OMG I am so old. I use pencil and paper!!

...well...I'm old enough to remember not having personal computers...or color TV...I still use pencil and paper too, for all my studies, it's vital to my routine. I also scan my paper calculations into OneNote so I can see how I figured the problem out.

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
nj593 Wrote:LOL hilarious
This was my big argument here on this board which some had to calm me down from. TESC did not accept them all because they consider some courses as the others. For example they will not take trig if you already took stats. The rat bastards just wont. :mad: So dont bother. Theres a model that I believe Cook or Peace brought up in the aleks section that states the math in how they fall. Something like mat129 and so on.
Its pretty much on point. Hope this helps.

nj593 that's unfortunate for you but I'm sure you're over it by now. I'll probably call TESC to be on the safe side. Thanks.
cookderosa Wrote:Here is what we have for TESC and ALEKS at this time:

TESC ALEKS evaluation
001 Beginning Algebra- MAT102
002 Intermediate Algebra- MAT115
003 College Algebra- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra w/trig
004 College Algebra with Trig- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra
005 PreCal- MAT129 *TESC Duplicates Trig
006 Trig- MAT129 *TESC duplicates PreCal
007 Intro Stats- STA201
008 Business Stats- OPM351
009 Stats for Beh. Science- STA199

There is one more thing we are working out as far as having the right information. There is a conflict in the stats classes. Prior to "the incident" with nj :o , a previous member here was awarded 12 credits- 3 for each of the stats 007,008,009. That was 6 credits in the math/science area for 007 and 009, and 3 credits in free elective for 009- *person was not a business major. nj was told that 007 and 009 duplicated and thus he only got 3 credits. (I believe he didn't submit 008)

Of course contact your advisor with questions. Sometimes people are not enrolled, so TESC won't answer their questions if that's the case. :mad: And other times, they are not so speedy Wink

Not that it matters too much, but I'm working through intro now, and I will also do 009. I'm going to submit them both to Ocean County College for fun (for my AS in Science) and see how that plays out.

Cook, thanks for the TESC conversions.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 773 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,238 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,420 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,694 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,406 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Anyone frustrated with ALEKS? MeOldChina 8 2,532 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  How to register for ALEKS akr680 2 1,160 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Aleks courses Supermind 14 3,654 04-01-2019, 02:05 AM