Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I hate you ALEKS!!!
Hopefully you'll move through the material as quick and painless as possible. Wink Good luck!

rickyjo Wrote:Thank you for posting this link. You shall save me hours of annoyance.
Additionally I have been searching for something like this and annoyed by everything I have found. This could just work.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
bricabrac Wrote:Mathway does not run through the steps (unless you purchase) but I have found it to be the most accurate. I have algebrator which I found after pre/interm algebra to be useless. It tends to give wrong answers unless you specifically tell it what to do which defeats the purpose. Its ok to compare answers even some of the graphs are nice, overall its great for highschoolers. I heard about bagatrix. I was actually thinking about one of the calculus and stats software packages but they were just to pricey for this exercise. The crazy thing is at work we have all the programs that do this stuff for us. I'm in research nothing is done manually. We have statisticians (PhD) who set points by clinical data and let the software take it from there. Or, farm out work to consultant agencies. So once my math stuff was complete I just filed away all my notes. So much paper. And why? Will never use it again.

Even my budgets are all programmed formulas in excel. Now there's something you need to learn how to do well...excel formulas.Big Grin

Haha, yes, Excel formulas are a must-have. One of the biggest things that repetition and doing my own taxes forever has taught me. That alone improved my algebra ability greatly.

Bagatrix is cool, I use their Algebra 2 Solved package mostly. Their graphing pack is useless, since the function is in all other packs, and of course you need to have/know equations for word problems.

The book I recommend often is "Forgotten Algebra" (ISBN10: 0-7641-2008-5), that is good for 6th Grade through College Algebra I. Lots of great examples, plenty of practice problems and only $17.
you guys are so smart. :confused: You know how some people wish they had a talent, like to sing or such? I wish I could intuit the maths you are talking about. Without following a step by step, I'm sooo lost. (and even then too lol)
cookderosa Wrote:you guys are so smart. :confused: You know how some people wish they had a talent, like to sing or such? I wish I could intuit the maths you are talking about. Without following a step by step, I'm sooo lost. (and even then too lol)

I'm really not that great at math, which is why I'm doing ALEKS courses instead of a CLEP or taking the courses at TESC. I need the flexibility and ability to re-do problems and learn from my mistakes. Basically, I need my hand held to pass Big Grin I'm good at basic algebra, some business math and I understand statistical concepts -- but college algebra is something different entirely. Without ALEKS, I don't know that I'd be able to graduate with a decent GPA. :o
Cook,

The subject comes easier to me now that I'm older but I am definitely not a math major. I am also quite appreciative ALEKS was available.

cookderosa Wrote:you guys are so smart. :confused: You know how some people wish they had a talent, like to sing or such? I wish I could intuit the maths you are talking about. Without following a step by step, I'm sooo lost. (and even then too lol)

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
Griffin Wrote:I'm really not that great at math, which is why I'm doing ALEKS courses instead of a CLEP or taking the courses at TESC. I need the flexibility and ability to re-do problems and learn from my mistakes. Basically, I need my hand held to pass Big Grin I'm good at basic algebra, some business math and I understand statistical concepts -- but college algebra is something different entirely. Without ALEKS, I don't know that I'd be able to graduate with a decent GPA. :o

ALEKS is VERY similar to the required Math Lab when I took Algebra at my B&M school. I find that this way of doing Math problems is the easiest way to learn. I don't know why but I surfed the internet during my actual classes and actual did my learning using the software provided in the Math Lab. I ended up with the highest grade in my class and was honestly shocked at how well I learned the concepts. My teacher caught me surfing the internet one day and I told her I would speak to her after class. I was very gracious but told her in so many words that while she was a good teacher I simply did not learn from that type of instruction. Aleks is just like being back in my Math Lab and I'm enjoying it. Did I just say that about Math? hilarious

Dont talk lot that.. Theres lot of things you have posted on here that Im like really :confused:
Your science courses for example that you have been taking.... Id give anything to be done with that stuff instead of sitting here going ahhhh damn it another year. Not to include Math sucks anyway... I just looked at it as got to get it done now how to do it.
Dont look at the problems individually. Look at the swarm of math as an obstacle in your way. then look for ways to make it go away easier... Lol.
Now, Cook I never want to hear that talk again.
[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]"Oh, get a job? Just get a job? Why don't I strap on my job helmet, and squeeze down into a job cannon and fire off into job land, where jobs grow on jobbies!" Its always sunny in Philadelphia.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]tesc credit banked
FEMA IS courses- alot

Aleks completed-many of them

Cleps:Spanish 67

Associates in psychology UOP
TESC BA in psychology[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

attempting currently
Masters in counseling
Hi Everyone!! I've literally just completed 70 percent in Beginning Algebra!!! Woo hoo - I'm so excited to finally get this score.

Question is what do I do next? How do I submit to ACE?

Thanks to all who motivated me through this - could not have done it without you.

Cheers,
Passed so far:
CLEP:
A&I Lit - 6 credits
Freshman Comp-6 credits
Eng Comp w/Essay-6 credits
Sociology-3 credits
Principle of Mgmt-3 credits
French - 12 credits
Human Growth & Dev- 3 credits
Humanities-6 credits

DSST:
Principle of Supervision- 3 credits
Env & Humanity - 3 credits
Intro to Computing - 3 credits

FEMA/FCC: 16 credits
UMUC-22 credits
NVCC -17
ACE - 23 credits
Aleks - Beginning Algebra
Aleks-Intermediate Algebra
ACTFL Chinese -6 credits

All done - Graduating in Oct from TESC -BA in Humanities!!

Grad School: MS Human Resource Mgmt-2012
nj593 Wrote:Now, Cook I never want to hear that talk again.

Smile I didn't mean to sound so down when I wrote that, I was just in awe at Griffin and bric's math-speak. Big Grin But, thanks nj, for calling me out-I did sound a little self-deprecating. I'm up and dusted off now.
Wow Soup, You hit the nail on the head!! I so agree with you!!!

soupbone Wrote:ALEKS is VERY similar to the required Math Lab when I took Algebra at my B&M school. I find that this way of doing Math problems is the easiest way to learn. I don't know why but I surfed the internet during my actual classes and actual did my learning using the software provided in the Math Lab. I ended up with the highest grade in my class and was honestly shocked at how well I learned the concepts. My teacher caught me surfing the internet one day and I told her I would speak to her after class. I was very gracious but told her in so many words that while she was a good teacher I simply did not learn from that type of instruction. Aleks is just like being back in my Math Lab and I'm enjoying it. Did I just say that about Math? hilarious

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad Does anyone else hate waiting for the next term to start? fromthedepths 9 771 06-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,226 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Aleks Math for Liberal Arts Degree ragkrish 5 1,403 02-08-2020, 01:49 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  ALEKS Course; ACE Knowledge Check Inquiry abs_co 7 2,685 11-27-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: dharmastudios
  ALEKS and CSMlearn Kjblue 3 1,395 10-29-2019, 02:58 PM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Anyone frustrated with ALEKS? MeOldChina 8 2,508 05-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Merlin
  How to register for ALEKS akr680 2 1,147 04-28-2019, 10:39 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Aleks courses Supermind 14 3,614 04-01-2019, 02:05 AM