Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have found my people.
Hi all! 

I am so glad that I somehow found this forum. You are my people/kin/spirit animals. My family thinks I am nutty for how badly I want to continuously pursue higher education. I have been reading through the posts and kind of getting my bearings. I guess I'll give a little about me. 

BA in Anthropology, 2013 (FAU) with lots of other credits outside of the degree 
M.Ed in Bilingual Education, 2016 (ACE) with several credits outside of the degree 
M.Ed in Teaching English Learners, 2020 (ACE)
M.Ed in Advanced Teaching, 2021 exp. (UofP; its an interesting experiment) 

I recently discovered Sophia (as in yesterday) and have done a few classes there. I enrolled in Purdue University Global, Bachelors of Professional Studies (not sure what that's all about but we shall see). I have some Coursera classes that I have taken, some graduate history credits. I also clicked through Saylor.org and will be doing what I can on there. 

Future goals: Turn the random credits into something. I am thinking that the TESU program would be a good fit, I think. More importantly would be an Ed.D; for that, I was looking at American College of Ed or Univ. of the Cumberlands. And do it while getting the best degrees possible for the least amount of out-of-pocket. And then I came across the Master of Arts in Economics and Entrepreneurship for Educators (MAEEE) from the University of Delaware and the Global Field Program from Miami University..... so adding those to the list  Big Grin Maybe at some point, look into business programs. Again, I am doing this for personal fulfillment; I like to stay busy and this is far preferable to something like knitting or something.
[-] The following 5 users Like letterchaser202's post:
  • ARhead, eriehiker, Life Long Learning, Muldoon, natshar
If you are looking for more cheap random courses:

onlinedegree.com has a bunch of interesting ones including cooking, education and robotics. Only $9 and you don't pay until the end. TESU accepts these. Actually TESU accepts everything I'm listing below.

CSM course is a really well done and not too difficult math course that costs $39. I like this one a lot.

ALEKs is only $20 a month but they only offer stats, college algebra, and trig which you might already have. finish all 3 in a month and its $20.

TEEX has about 10 credits in cybersecurity that are FREE but kind of boring. They also have some forensic science and criminal justice ones that are $45 - $75 that aren't as boring.

Also there is FREE insurance ethics course. (unsure if TESU accepts it)

I think a lot of us here have ADD (Addictive Degree Disorder).
[-] The following 2 users Like natshar's post:
  • Life Long Learning, Muldoon
(05-08-2020, 06:08 PM)letterchaser202 Wrote: Hi all! 

I am so glad that I somehow found this forum. You are my people/kin/spirit animals. My family thinks I am nutty for how badly I want to continuously pursue higher education. I have been reading through the posts and kind of getting my bearings. I guess I'll give a little about me. 

M.Ed in Bilingual Education, 2016 (ACE) with several credits outside of the degree 

I recently discovered Sophia (as in yesterday) and have done a few classes there. I enrolled in Purdue University Global, Bachelors of Professional Studies (not sure what that's all about but we shall see). I have some Coursera classes that I have taken, some graduate history credits. I also clicked through Saylor.org and will be doing what I can on there. 

Future goals: Turn the random credits into something. I am thinking that the TESU program would be a good fit, I think. More importantly would be an Ed.D; for that, I was looking at American College of Ed or Univ. of the Cumberlands. And do it while getting the best degrees possible for the least amount of out-of-pocket. And then I came across the Master of Arts in Economics and Entrepreneurship for Educators (MAEEE) from the University of Delaware and the Global Field Program from Miami University..... so adding those to the list  Big Grin Maybe at some point, look into business programs. Again, I am doing this for personal fulfillment; I like to stay busy and this is far preferable to something like knitting or something.

Welcome to the forum!

That is a nice academic resume. Completing 3 M.Ed. degrees is quite a feat. Are/were you a language teacher or do you just enjoy learning about it?

I think you'll find that most of the people on this forum are really just here to complete their first bachelor's degree, but there are a number of us who have stuck around and gone on to complete multiple undergrad and/or graduate degrees.

Personally, I'm also a lifetime learner and have been working on accruing degrees as well. My family also doesn't understand my interests in education when I don't need it for work, but they do give me the support and space I need to do so. I have already completed my first master's degree, but I am considering pursuing more. Though if I did, I'd want to spread them across a breadth of domains for diversity. Of course, my immediate goal is to find a good Ph.D. program since I love to research and I want to contribute to my field in an academic form. If I find the right Ph.D. program I will probably just handwave everything else since that will lock me down for the next 3-6 years. Otherwise, I'll probably start working on a master's in computer science, data science/analysis, or maybe look into a master's in I/O Psychology. The majority of my GenEd and electives were psych courses in my undergrad and really enjoyed them. I took enough that I probably should have pursued a double major to include Psychology, but I just wanted to get the bachelor's out of the way quickly and then look into master's degrees. I think I'd enjoy working on a psychology degree.

I'm also pursuing education for personal fulfillment since I love to learn new things, but it doesn't look bad on my resume either. Smile

The people on this forum are very helpful and mostly non-judgmental, so feel free to post any questions after you take a look at the FAQ and Wiki for more info. Smile

Good luck!
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 1 user Likes Merlin's post:
  • StudiousTraveller
(05-08-2020, 06:30 PM)natshar Wrote: If you are looking for more cheap random courses:

onlinedegree.com has a bunch of interesting ones including cooking, education and robotics. Only $9 and you don't pay until the end. TESU accepts these. Actually TESU accepts everything I'm listing below.

CSM course is a really well done and not too difficult math course that costs $39. I like this one a lot.

ALEKs is only $20 a month but they only offer stats, college algebra, and trig which you might already have. finish all 3 in a month and its $20.

TEEX has about 10 credits in cybersecurity that are FREE but kind of boring. They also have some forensic science and criminal justice ones that are $45 - $75 that aren't as boring.

Also there is FREE insurance ethics course. (unsure if TESU accepts it)

I think a lot of us here have ADD (Addictive Degree Disorder).

I love that - ADD!! This quarantine has been most dangerous for it, too lol 

Thank you for those suggestions! I will add those to the list.

(05-08-2020, 06:39 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-08-2020, 06:08 PM)letterchaser202 Wrote: Hi all! 

Welcome to the forum!

That is a nice academic resume. Completing 3 M.Ed. degrees is quite a feat. Are/were you a language teacher or do you just enjoy learning about it?

I think you'll find that most of the people on this forum are really just here to complete their first bachelor's degree, but there are a number of us who have stuck around and gone on to complete multiple undergrad and/or graduate degrees.

Personally, I'm also a lifetime learner and have been working on accruing degrees as well. My family also doesn't understand my interests in education when I don't need it for work, but they do give me the support and space I need to do so. I have already completed my first master's degree, but I am considering pursuing more. Though if I did, I'd want to spread them across a breadth of domains for diversity. Of course, my immediate goal is to find a good Ph.D. program since I love to research and I want to contribute to my field in an academic form. If I find the right Ph.D. program I will probably just handwave everything else since that will lock me down for the next 3-6 years. Otherwise, I'll probably start working on a master's in computer science, data science/analysis, or maybe look into a master's in I/O Psychology. The majority of my GenEd and electives were psych courses in my undergrad and really enjoyed them. I took enough that I probably should have pursued a double major to include Psychology, but I just wanted to get the bachelor's out of the way quickly and then look into master's degrees. I think I'd enjoy working on a psychology degree.

I'm also pursuing education for personal fulfillment since I love to learn new things, but it doesn't look bad on my resume either. Smile

The people on this forum are very helpful and mostly non-judgmental, so feel free to post any questions after you take a look at the FAQ and Wiki for more info. Smile

Good luck!

Thanks! I am a general education teacher, but I went with the ESOL focus because a - I teach a lot of students who speak other languages, b- that was really the only option that would get me my teaching certification AND a pay boost, and c- if I wanted to jump on the online English teacher bandwagon, I feel like that would give me an edge. 

I definitely get what you are saying about wanting to spread the masters over diverse subjects; I need to focus on that. A psych degree would be very fulfilling, I think. I wish you the best of luck with that! I would love to hear if/when you find a suitable program. 

I will take a look at the FAQ and wiki!
Welcome. We have been waiting for you to arrive. Smile
Love it.

FYI, looks like you're implying TESU for a 3rd bachelors. They won't admit you after 2, unfortunately.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
What's the UoP program like? I've been eyeing them for a while but never took the plunge.
(05-08-2020, 10:02 PM)jsd Wrote: Love it.

FYI, looks like you're implying TESU for a 3rd bachelors. They won't admit you after 2, unfortunately.

Thanks!  Smile

It would be my 2nd, but that's ok right?  Huh

(05-09-2020, 01:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote: What's the UoP program like? I've been eyeing them for a while but never took the plunge.

So I was able to transfer in a few classes (honestly, it should have been more but I didn't feel like fighting with them past the four round of "but these are the same exact courses!" emails) and I was able to reduce it from 13 courses (which is a LOT as far as a masters goes) to 8. I am looking at this program as a way to get professional development points for my teaching certification renewal. At $200 a class, its worth it for that. The international students' perspectives are definitely the highlight of the program. The written assignments and discussion board posts are peer graded (so essentially 60% of your grade) which I have an issue with. I have had points deducted for several things that should have received full marks, but in order to get a re-grade by the professor, you have to defend your rationale - so essentially write another paper saying why the first one was worth a higher grade. There is also a 0 tolerance policy with late work, which I find absurd (even if you're in the hospital, you have to take the 0 for your assignments). Basically, I am not concerned with trying to graduate cum laude and I am happy to take the recert points, plus the fact that I will be able to teach at an IB school is a major perk for me. Would I recommend this to anyone who had other viable options? No. Would I recommend this to anyone who was in a similar position as myself, sure.

(05-08-2020, 10:00 PM)eriehiker Wrote: Welcome.  We have been waiting for you to arrive.  Smile

Hey! I see you are a fellow educator! Thanks! If you have ever seen the Netflix movie "TAU," that's the voice I read you post in lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes letterchaser202's post:
  • rachel83az
That's a shame about UoP. It looks like a good program otherwise.
(05-09-2020, 11:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: That's a shame about UoP. It looks like a good program otherwise.

Hopefully they will continue to change and grow over time. I like the overall concept though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,562 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Univ of People partners with Sophia.org for degree pathway! bjcheung77 3 786 05-08-2023, 09:08 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,177 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Why do people drop out? Alpha 8 917 10-13-2022, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sparcleofyumm
  People treating you differently since you've graduated? collegechick 29 3,396 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Tall people are more educated, short people are unhealthy bjcheung77 2 782 04-23-2022, 09:47 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  I Came to College Eager to Debate. I Found Self-Censorship Instead LevelUP 1 689 03-10-2022, 09:52 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  What People Get Wrong About First-Generation College Students LevelUP 11 1,376 03-08-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
Question Why People Take SO LONG to Get Started? LevelUP 13 1,739 03-05-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Where rich people go to school sanantone 1 625 11-12-2021, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Alpha