Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I have questions about TESC & Political Science Degree. Could someone please help me?
sanantone Wrote:No, it was more because someone mentioned history as being good to get into law school. It's not that it's good to get into law school; history majors just don't know what else to do if they can't get a job in a museum or as a teacher. hilarious

I don't see how a political science degree would better prepare one for civil law, but I get what you're saying about reputation. I still think a degree in legal studies or paralegal studies would be the best at preparing someone for tort, property, and family law.

There is not one university that offers a Bachelors degree in Paralegal Studies or Legal Studies in my state. There are AA degrees in paralegal technology and some schools that offer a paralegal certificate. Also my state will not certify a paralegal unless your AA was taken at a B&M school. You cannot be certified with a 100% online program. The most common way to be certified in this state is to have an A.A. in paralegal studies or a BA and a certificate from a state-approved paralegal program. The state has 35 state-approved schools/programs. The state certification started back in 2007. There's still national certification (which I have) and is still widely accepted and respected. National certification began in 1976. After I finish my A.A. I can sit for the state exam since I already have a certificate. Paralegals who lived here for a period of time prior to 2005 were grandfathered in and could be certified without meeting the requirements. Those who moved here later (like I did) have to go through the traditional process. There are a lot of paralegals who move here with a degree or certificate from a non state-approved school and they are told by the Bar that to be certified they have to retake the program at one of their state-approved schools. This is a totally separate issue from what I'm trying to do but I'm just showing you how different things are in states that certify paralegals. From what I understand only Texas, Florida, Ohio, Kentucky, and North Carolina have the state certification. California has a different program that involves limited licensing.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
soliloquy Wrote:There is not one university that offers a Bachelors degree in Paralegal Studies or Legal Studies in my state. There are AA degrees in paralegal technology and some schools that offer a paralegal certificate. Also my state will not certify a paralegal unless your AA was taken at a B&M school. You cannot be certified with a 100% online program. The most common way to be certified in this state is to have an A.A. in paralegal studies or a BA and a certificate from a state-approved paralegal program. The state has 35 state-approved schools/programs. The state certification started back in 2007. There's still national certification (which I have) and is still widely accepted and respected. National certification began in 1976. After I finish my A.A. I can sit for the state exam since I already have a certificate. Paralegals who lived here for a period of time prior to 2005 were grandfathered in and could be certified without meeting the requirements. Those who moved here later (like I did) have to go through the traditional process. There are a lot of paralegals who move here with a degree or certificate from a non state-approved school and they are told by the Bar that to be certified they have to retake the program at one of their state-approved schools. This is a totally separate issue from what I'm trying to do but I'm just showing you how different things are in states that certify paralegals. From what I understand only Texas, Florida, Ohio, Kentucky, and North Carolina have the state certification. California has a different program that involves limited licensing.

It is a different topic because I assumed you weren't trying to become a certified paralegal with a political science degree. If I had to choose between political science and paralegal studies for working in the legal field, I would choose paralegal studies hands down. Are you from New Jersey? You've mentioned "my state" a couple of times, but you're looking at TESC. If you're not in New Jersey, then a program being in your state doesn't seem to be all that important.

Texas offers paralegal certification in specialty areas, but paralegals are not required to be certified here. Only 300 and something paralegals in Texas have state certification.
http://www.tbls.org/About.aspx
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think I said this paralegal discussion is a totally separate issue from what I'm trying to do so what state I apply to school isn't an issue. I am currently a certified paralegal nationally and have been for more than 10 years. I'm not trying to become one. The state exam I can take after I graduate in a couple of weeks and I will do that but that is not my end game. I don't know why suggest paralegal programs when I've already taken the required one for my state. I'm currently making about as much as I can make in my field in this area. That's why there are other things I'm trying to do. I think there's been some type of miscommunication or confusion but I'd rather just get back to the topic of this thread if you don't mind. I do realize you were trying to help and give advice but the only information I'm asking for right now is about TESC.

But, you did bring up how you did not want a criminal justice degree since it's not respected in civil law. I'm arguing that if you actually want to learn more about civil law, then a political science degree is not the way to go. I don't know how I can make that any clearer. Charter Oak State College does offer a paralegal studies degree along with the required courses. TESC does not offer all of the required courses for political science, and you can't test out of the degree.

It would help if you actually mentioned what you're trying to do. All you brought up was civil law, and political science does not teach much civil law. If learning civil law in a degree program is not important to work in civil law, then you might as well get a degree in anything.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
I think everyone did a pretty good job of explaining that political science is not something I'd be able to complete at TESC because there are too many other courses that would need to be taken elsewhere and transferred in since it is not offered 100% online. I think I also made the statement that I could not find any other university (reasonably priced) that offered this degree online. I accept that. I thought I had at least implied that I conceded to these points and that's why I was considering the other degrees and plans that people posted.

I'm over the PS degree. Smile I still do not want a CJ degree.

I would like to know what my other degree options are based on the credits I have aside from SS and LA

But, you did imply that political science would be better than the other degrees and basically opposed the CJ degree. You also said that you weren't sure that going faster through TESC would be worth compromising the type of degree you want. COSC also offers a political science degree along with the required courses. Their tuition rate is higher than TESC's, but they don't have the huge enrollment fee. They also accept FEMAs toward free electives. Fort Hays State University offers political science online and is cheaper than all of the Big 3. Columbia College works out to be about the same as TESC's Comprehensive tuition plan. They, too, offer an online degree in political science. American Military/Public University accepts a lot of ACE and transfer credits and has a reasonable tuition rate. Troy University is reasonably priced. Again, they offer a degree in political science. If you mentioned your state of residence, there are probably other programs to be found.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Ashford University charges $403 per credit hour, but, the last I heard, they accept up to 99 transfer credits. They don't seem to have a limit within those 99 credits from nontraditional sources like APUS does. They accept CLEP, DSST, IB, AP, Straigherline, and pretty much anything evaluated by ACE or NCCRS. Bellevue University does not offer a political science degree, but they offer closely-related degrees. They charge $375 per credit hour, but will accept ACE-evaluated credits, CLEP/DSST, PLAs, and FEMAs which are free.

Edit: Ashford has a limit of 75 nontraditional credits. You can still transfer in up to 99 with traditional credits (credits from regionally accredited colleges). APUS has around a 90 credit transfer limit, but limits nontraditional credits (CLEP/DSST, ACE, etc) to 25% of the degree or about 30 credits for bachelor's degrees.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The easiest degrees to test out of at TESC are liberal studies, humanities, social science, psychology, history, natural science/mathematics, and business administration with a general management concentration. You can get close to testing out of some of the other business degrees with concentrations in human resources, accounting, marketing, and computer information systems. You don't have to take any courses through TESC for the business degrees.

Sanantone's BSBA General Management - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Psychology - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Social Science - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in History - Degree Forum Wiki
Sanantone's BA in Humanities - Degree Forum Wiki
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Kay V,

Could you please "re-do" the Social Science program now that I have re-evaluated the credits that I think would transfer? If you don't have time, I understand but I sincerely appreciate your help from a few pages back in this thread. I said 82 credits yesterday but I have 87 with the way that TESC allows CLEP.

Just to clarify for everyone else, I have had a lot of help from several people re: Political Science. I have accepted that PS through TESC is not going to happen because it is not one of their 100% online degree programs and there are no B&M schools in my state that I could attend online and then transfer these courses. Additionally, I understand that these courses cannot be tested out of.

I have also re-evaluated my current available credits and am hoping that someone will be able to come up with a degree plan for TESC for a few other options aside from social sciences.

CLEP (These are the amount of credits I believe TESC would give me for the CLEP tests according to the CLEP website; https://clep.collegeboard.org/college-cr...h_type%3D0).

CLEP EXAMS

College Composition 6
Introductory to Busineses Law 3
American Government 3
Sociology 3
Human Growth and Development 3
College Algebra 3
Biology 6
American Literature 6
Principles of Management 3

Total CLEP: 36

Institutional (CC) Courses:

CIS-110 88 Introduction to Computers 3

ART-111 93 Art Appreciation 3

ENG-114 82 Prof Research & Reporting 3

REL-211 80 Intro to Old Testament 3

COM-231 80 Public Speaking 3

HIS-112 80 World Civilizations II 3

PSY-150 80 General Psychology 3

Elem Persian-Farsi I 5

Elem Persian-Farsi II 5

Interm Persian-Farsi I 4

Interm Persian-Farsi II 4

PED-110 Fit and Well for Life 2

PED-111 Physical Fitness I 1

PED-112 Physical Fitness II 1

SOC-225 Social Diversity 3

ACA-120 Career Assessment 1

GEL-120 Physical Geology 4

Total Credits: 51

I would like to get the most out of the credits I have but I also do not want to end up with a degree as vague as liberal studies. From the discussions I've had with an academic advisor (friend not my advisor) she states that social sciences is another one of those "vague degrees" that really don't have a benefit other than saying you have a degree. But, if that is the best option and then grad school, I can live with that.

I'm still open to suggestions.

sanantone, I just saw all of your additional posts. I'm going back to read them now.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,155 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,817 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU BALS and Questions TexasTink 20 4,985 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: TexasTink
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,621 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,942 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  TESU BALS w/Concentration questions shadowgem 0 1,704 08-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Last Post: shadowgem